Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low Idle

smo

Please can someone help. my 1999 1.0 yaris is noisy at idle and is on the verge of stalling.

I took it to my local main toyota dealer they told me it was an air leak,however they could'nt find it and said you will just have to put up with it or sell it.

Have anyone had a similer problem?

my 1999 1.0 has a noisy idle, thought it might be the timing chain, but been told you cant tighten em - there oil pressured or summat so planning an oil change soon...

if it is an air leak i'd say it could be around the throttle body somewhere.

if toyota did their job properly they would find it and it sounds like they couldn't care.

check the tightness of the clamps and hoses for leaks by the throttle body, also rev the car whilst under the bonnet, it may get louder and you should hear the air being sucked in. If you had your hand in the right place you also would probably feel the air being sucked in aswell.

Being an older car one of the rubber hoses could have perished.

What about the idle control valve, this may need ajusting if the car is near stalling and no air leak is detected.

if it is an air leak i'd say it could be around the throttle body somewhere.

if toyota did their job properly they would find it and it sounds like they couldn't care.

check the tightness of the clamps and hoses for leaks by the throttle body, also rev the car whilst under the bonnet, it may get louder and you should hear the air being sucked in. If you had your hand in the right place you also would probably feel the air being sucked in aswell.

Being an older car one of the rubber hoses could have perished.

What about the idle control valve, this may need ajusting if the car is near stalling and no air leak is detected.

Thanks for the info.I will check out what you suggested.

Cheers

There is an o-ring on the carb body, remove and clean it. Apply a smear of oil/grease and refit (replace later).

Remove the three 10mm bolts, carefully raise up the air filter assy. and there is the o-ring around the throttle butterfly body, about 2.5" dia. Clean as mentioned and refit and let the filter assy. seat the o-ring, giving a better seal perhaps. Pop the three bolts back and test.

BTW, with the air filter off, clean the MAF sensor. You will find this in the back of the air box, looks like a small dark pearl in the "tunnel". ALL the air MUST pass the Mass Air Flow sensor, air leaks, must not by-pass this sensor. The output from this sensor tells the ECU how much fuel to inject into the engine. Air leaks means LESS fuel sent to the engine hence poor performance or stalling.

Paul

There is an o-ring on the carb body, remove and clean it. Apply a smear of oil/grease and refit (replace later).

Remove the three 10mm bolts, carefully raise up the air filter assy. and there is the o-ring around the throttle butterfly body, about 2.5" dia. Clean as mentioned and refit and let the filter assy. seat the o-ring, giving a better seal perhaps. Pop the three bolts back and test.

BTW, with the air filter off, clean the MAF sensor. You will find this in the back of the air box, looks like a small dark pearl in the "tunnel". ALL the air MUST pass the Mass Air Flow sensor, air leaks, must not by-pass this sensor. The output from this sensor tells the ECU how much fuel to inject into the engine. Air leaks means LESS fuel sent to the engine hence poor performance or stalling.

Paul

What does MAF stand for?

Paul

What does MAF stand for?

Judging by his post I'm going for Mass Air Flow sensor. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Yes, sorry.

BTW = By The Way

MAF = Mass Air Flow (is a sensor in the air filter housing, connector mounted on the side)

Note The o-ring I mentioned should sit in the housing and the hosing allowed to seat the o-ring around the body of the carb, do not place the o-ring on the carb. first and then fit the housing to the o-ring. Note that the housing does not fit tight to the carb. body and seal up against the o-ring.

How did you get on? Did you find the o-ring and /or cure the leak.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links