Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis After 14 Months

Bosnjo

I have Avensis 1.8 VVTi Saloon, January 2005. Marks 14.000 km now.

Here is list of problems I found and some modifications I've done.

1) Just after 1000 km tyres got oval. Dealer took the car to Bridgestone Dealer and they changed all 4 tyres. 5000 km later again the same problem. Again to the Bridgestone dealer. The reseated tyres on the rimbs, calibrated again and suggested to use little bit more presure then adviced by Toyota. Now, with bit more pressure seems fine, no more vibrations on steering wheel

2) Arround 3000 km steering wheel started to do "clicking" while turning from point to point with car stopped or at very low speed. Dealer said not to worry about. Then it stopped "clicking" while turning from left to right but still doing it while turning from right to left. At 1 year service I've complained again. They said it's "Airbag Spiral Cable". They've done some greasing somewhere in the steering rack ant it was fine for two weeks. Then got back and now it's clicking again, just at right to left turning. They still say it's not the problem.

3) In Portugal, every Avensis comes with back parking sensors. I've seen that cars are imported without parking sensors and dealer put them before selling it. They work fine, but loudspeaker is in the boot and for me it was not loud enough. Then, loudspeaker started to fall off, because it was just glued in the boot by double-sided tape. I took the loudspeaker off, connected more wire and passed it to the front, to the top of the fusebox, behind the plastic panel. Now I hear it well, no need to turn the radio off anymore while reversing (and I don't listen it loud, ever)

4) Changed headlight bulbs to "Bosch Shennon Blue 4000k". Also, changed those amber turning signes bulbs to "PHILIPS Silver Vision". For turning signs took me few sets of silver-yellow bulbs from diferent brands. They were all low light and heating too much. Only those from Philips are great. They had offset pins so I had to cut one pin out to fit them. Got them from eBay. No more "egg" effect in my headlights.

5) I've never liked that third (tail) breaking light. Look to me like from 15 years old cars. I found in supermarket one led tail light and maneged to fit it in existing plastic case. Took lot of work but now looks great.

6) I have wierd noise comming from behind stereo unit. On 3500-4000 rpm I hear "bzzzzz". I have to do something with it. I'll take stereo off to find what is doing it. Most probably some wire touching some plastic. I had 6CD changer installed by dealer. I've seen that they cover all wires with that cheap plastic tape for electrical installations. By time, it starts to fall off. I'll redo it with better tape.

7) In very iregular road I hear something like there is something loosen up bellow the car. It's not metalic noise. Looks to me more like some plastic is off. Car has a lot of plastic covers bellow the engine.

8) There is problem with alarm installed by Toyota. It started to go off when I unlock the car by remote, so I have to press the button again to silence it. Few nights ago it went off by itself without me touching it. Now it is switched off. Marked visit to my dealer for it and for the problem of noise bellow the car.

9) As soon as I got the car I understood that armrest between front seats will get dirty easely. So I desmounted it completely and done new cover with syntetic material on the top of existing one. Not hard to do.

10) When weather is rainy, headlights get moisture. Toyota official response is that it's not a problem. Only if lights get water in, they change them. Moisture will dry out and no problem for them.

This is my first Avensis. I'm starting to hate this car. I've never had so many problems with my previous cars. In 5 cars I got new only one had the coil of one cyllinder dead at 19.000 km. Paid 180€ to fix it (VW). So that would be one problem in five cars. Here I have six problems in one car. I hope if I fix all of them and keep of having it with no more problems I can love it again.

What are your opinions?

Thanks to all

yo Tuga!

Sounds like a few probs......

They are great cars, very reliable......I like the changes you have made btw.

Just got back from the dealer. Car was in because of alarm and noise bellow the car.

ALARM - They said it's fixed and I still can't say anything, I need few days to see if it works fine.

NOISE - They took it to test-drive and found out that on iregular road surface noise goes away if you slightly press the brake pedal. Conclusion: Brake pads were making the noise. They greased their fiitting base and on my way home I didn't here any noise. Still to see in days to come

Alarm and brake pads noise look solved 100% :rolleyes:

I'd like to know where did they do lubrification (brake pads) and should it be done with liquid oil or consistent paste, so I can do it by myself if it shows up again after car runs out of warranty.

Thanks

I have Avensis 1.8 VVTi Saloon, January 2005. Marks 14.000 km now.

Here is list of problems I found and some modifications I've done.

1) Just after 1000 km tyres got oval. Dealer took the car to Bridgestone Dealer and they changed all 4 tyres. 5000 km later again the same problem. Again to the Bridgestone dealer. The reseated tyres on the rimbs, calibrated again and suggested to use little bit more presure then adviced by Toyota. Now, with bit more pressure seems fine, no more vibrations on steering wheel

2) Arround 3000 km steering wheel started to do "clicking" while turning from point to point with car stopped or at very low speed. Dealer said not to worry about. Then it stopped "clicking" while turning from left to right but still doing it while turning from right to left. At 1 year service I've complained again. They said it's "Airbag Spiral Cable". They've done some greasing somewhere in the steering rack ant it was fine for two weeks. Then got back and now it's clicking again, just at right to left turning. They still say it's not the problem.

3) In Portugal, every Avensis comes with back parking sensors. I've seen that cars are imported without parking sensors and dealer put them before selling it. They work fine, but loudspeaker is in the boot and for me it was not loud enough. Then, loudspeaker started to fall off, because it was just glued in the boot by double-sided tape. I took the loudspeaker off, connected more wire and passed it to the front, to the top of the fusebox, behind the plastic panel. Now I hear it well, no need to turn the radio off anymore while reversing (and I don't listen it loud, ever)

4) Changed headlight bulbs to "BOSCH Shennon Blue 4000k". Also, changed those amber turning signes bulbs to "PHILIPS Silver Vision". For turning signs took me few sets of silver-yellow bulbs from diferent brands. They were all low light and heating too much. Only those from Philips are great. They had offset pins so I had to cut one pin out to fit them. Got them from Ebay. No more "egg" effect in my headlights.

5) I've never liked that third (tail) breaking light. Look to me like from 15 years old cars. I found in supermarket one led tail light and maneged to fit it in existing plastic case. Took lot of work but now looks great.

6) I have wierd noise comming from behind stereo unit. On 3500-4000 rpm I hear "bzzzzz". I have to do something with it. I'll take stereo off to find what is doing it. Most probably some wire touching some plastic. I had 6CD changer installed by dealer. I've seen that they cover all wires with that cheap plastic tape for electrical installations. By time, it starts to fall off. I'll redo it with better tape.

7) In very iregular road I hear something like there is something loosen up bellow the car. It's not metalic noise. Looks to me more like some plastic is off. Car has a lot of plastic covers bellow the engine.

8) There is problem with alarm installed by Toyota. It started to go off when I unlock the car by remote, so I have to press the button again to silence it. Few nights ago it went off by itself without me touching it. Now it is switched off. Marked visit to my dealer for it and for the problem of noise bellow the car.

9) As soon as I got the car I understood that armrest between front seats will get dirty easely. So I desmounted it completely and done new cover with syntetic material on the top of existing one. Not hard to do.

10) When weather is rainy, headlights get moisture. Toyota official response is that it's not a problem. Only if lights get water in, they change them. Moisture will dry out and no problem for them.

This is my first Avensis. I'm starting to hate this car. I've never had so many problems with my previous cars. In 5 cars I got new only one had the coil of one cyllinder dead at 19.000 km. Paid 180€ to fix it (VW). So that would be one problem in five cars. Here I have six problems in one car. I hope if I fix all of them and keep of having it with no more problems I can love it again.

What are your opinions?

Thanks to all

Not serious problems,i think!Buy VW and you'll see what serious problems are. :crybaby: --Problems with suspension,electrical problems :eek: etc..You call it list of problems ,but i don't think so.1.)from your list--complaint to Bridgestone.2.) The clicking from the steering wheel is normal--the steering wheel is electric.3.)It's not a problem4.) It's not a problem5.)It's not a problem.Think the designers know better how to design the tail light.9.)About the armrest--it's your choice what to do with it,but it's not a problem! 7.)and 8.)You solved that problems.I see just one problem in all your list and it's 10.)...Sorry for my bad english :!Removed!:

I didn't mean that all 10 were problems. I just wanted to post "Problems and Modifications" as my experience with the car after 14 months.

I'm starting to love it again.

The moisture is common problem. Almost everyone has it with new Avensis.

Clicking steering still makes me confused because when car was new it didn't have it. It started after 4-5 months. Dealer says it's "Airbag Spiral Cable" but nothing to worry about. It's just little annoying when manouvering the car. My only doubt is if dealer says it was normal why nobody else in this forum has that problem (I've read a lot about other steering rack problems but not this one).

My only doubt is if dealer says it was normal why nobody else in this forum has that problem (I've read a lot about other steering rack problems but not this one).

They have. See topics 48768, 38163 and 38072 (or do a forum search on the word "Spiral" )

Bosnjo....hi. Interesting to hear your problems. I can give you a list of my own...and we both have identical cars. Coincidence...? :rolleyes:

It's funny reading how different Toyota dealers treat different problems differently. For one thing....get your headlamps changed...both sides. I had condensation problems and they said they'd change both when I only asked for one...and that's without pushing them. Why? Because it's not condensation. It's plastic melting...you'll notice the headlamps getting darker (less light getting through). It's a safety issue, so it's important.

There is a known problem with the steering-rack. Most cars usually squeek when turning the wheel. Tell them to change the steering-rack anyway....just in case. Bet it sorts out your issue. Also a safety issue.

Tell them if they don't do it and you have a bad accident because of this...you'll leave instructions to a lawyer to sue their asses off. :D

I currently have problems with stalling/erratic idling. They seem reluctant to do anything about it. I have to take it in soon and if they refuse to contemplate at the least an ECU diagnostic....I will inform them that I will not be replacing my Avensis with another one at the end of the year, but instead will be buying a Volkswagen!!!

I've had many Volkswagen in the past and never had a problem. The Avensis was my first Japanese car...I bought with confidence because everyone says how "reliable" they are. LOL!!!! What a joke. No better then French cars with what I've seen so far. Though I'm willing to give another chance and get another Avensis (part-ex mine) if they fix all the problems first....at the end of the day it's going back to the dealers....and if they aren't smart enough to figure that out, then I want no further part in it.

edit: Sorry...I said "identical cars". Let me elaborate: I have a late 2003 (Practically 2004) 2.0....same colour to yours though. :!Removed!:

I've owned seven VW cars in the past and Avensis is the first Japanese for me as well. I like the car, till now I've found it much more stable on the road then any VW I've had, more quiet, bigger... I've spoken with some friend who have latest models VW and it seems that VW cars are now full of problems.

I would resume my Avensis now on three problems that are not even real problems:

1) Clicking steering

2) Outside mirrors wind noise above 150-160 km/h (aerodinamics problem)

3) Moisture in headlights

Now, moisture is really just a moisture, because since June 2004 all Avensis cars come with modified headlights, no more melting. In south of Portugal there are very few rainy days a year so I rarely have the problem. I've seen the post in this forum saying to drill 2mm hole bellow the bulb and no more moisture. Mybe I'll do it after warranty runs out.

There is really nothing to do about outside mirrors wind noise. At that speed I can only close them so noise goes away. But, I don't drive at that speed. Done it few times shortly just to test car's stability. (Speed limit on motorways in Portugal 120 km/h)

Steering clicking is realy something I have to take care about. I don't think changing rack would help because there is one post in this forum where that job was done under warranty with no change at all. Clicking is still there. When I went to 1 year service they greased something and clicking was gone for two weeks and then came back. I'm still waiting to see if somebody in this forum knows where the greasing is supposed to be done so I can have a look by myself (I was mechanic many years ago, while cars were still running on carburators). Clicking is not comming from down the steering coloumn. It comes just bellow the steering wheel itself. If it's coloumn the it's on top end of it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links