Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Im Trying To Make A Powerdeck Spacer From Tuffnal

cookci

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookci

• Celicume

• mikeb

• GT4 BOOSTER

please enlighten my brain , as to what a power space thingymebob does , mr.cooky.

more power. tunes the intake for more power at higher RPM. i *think* it only opens at high RPM (*thinking* 5,000 revs) so loss low down aint possible.

theory or no theory ive heard from word of mouth that they make a massive difference.

more power as in what gains matey ???? 1 bhp , 4 maybe

i may add i drove my brothers newly owned ss1 with 3sfe and the power delivery is alot better than the 3sge , although the 3sge is more powerfull top end.

apparently 10BHP. of course the proper powerdeck is a tuned height... im just guessing a height

the bigger the chamber tho the higher RPM the intake will be tuned for.

Interesting. Let us know how you get on. Call me a sceptic but, erm, I'm sceptical.

The induction system is a tuned length but very basically, and ignoring shockwave effects, a short induction tract is good for top end power, and a long induction length is good for making low down torque. Toyota came up with the ACIS system to give the induction system 2 switchable tuned lengths, to try and get the best of both worlds.

It looks like your spacer plate attempts to retune one of these lengths? But then if it made a real improvement, wouldn't Toyota have made it like that in the first place?

Perhaps it gives a perception of increased performance, by making the induction system more noisy or making the transition point sharper in some way. It would be interesting to do back to back dyno runs with and without this spacer plate, to see what effect it has on the entire power curve, not just peak power.

Anyway, goodluck with the DIY version. :thumbsup:

thanks mate. well im DIY'ing it because i dont really want to spend £200 on something that doesnt actually work so thought id experiment a little. I know experimenting has paid off in the past with the throttle heater removal and modded airbox.

Am i correct in thinking that this chamber opens at 5K and any suggestions on how to get around the short stud problem

cooki leave it be man - the car is quick enough , dont wanna see you breaking it.the internet at times is a toy shop for children. :lol: :P

well you see web sites with ideas that start the green matter ticking , me being me ( 30 something ) i'd leave it stock , but its up to you.

im happy at 250 bhp stock though.

im would be happy with 177.5 BHP if that wasnt at 7,000 revs! lol

i need 200 BHP at 7000 revs to make me happy

Anyway ive just tested my car and... the chamber remains closed until it hits 5,000 revs when it opens up!

wouldn't Toyota have made it like that in the first right

manufacturs dont always get the peak out of every engine though do they?

maybe it does make it noisier or maybe it makes such a difference that it kills GT4's with a large plenum chamber :lol:

wouldn't Toyota have made it like that in the first right

manufacturs dont always get the peak out of every engine though do they?

maybe it does make it noisier or maybe it makes such a difference that it kills GT4's with a large plenum chamber :lol:

Quite right, they compromise - considering reliability, driveability, emmissions. Obviously cost is the big compromise, but I would say it's irrelevant in this case, as it would cost next to nothing to build in what you are doing.

This shows ACIS changeover conditions (actual values will vary for different engines):

TVIS-12.gif

I've not taken the acis apart, so I don't know where the chamber fits into the system, can you show on this diagram where you are adding the extra volume:

TVIS-09.gif

TVIS-10.gif

I notice a nice increase in power at about 6K. Obvioulsy i have no proof of this yet but will get it RR'd soon :)

• 1 month later...
I notice a nice increase in power at about 6K. Obvioulsy i have no proof of this yet but will get it RR'd soon :)

Hello cookci, sorry for my English but i'm Italian..........

I' m new in this forum and i'm registered to me for having

more information and exchanging some opinion with you!

I have read with much interest this argument, and I mount also the spacer........from some week by now! I have constructed various spacers so that coupling them over the

other varied height..........But in all the tests me do not seem to have perceived some

power improvement...........

Can you tell me something on this spacer? Your impressions or surveys?

Thanks thousands and hello to all!!!

This are my spacer :)

http://celicume.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/Step_1.JPG

hello its interesting too see other have gone down the same road as me.

i did notice a power increase however it may of just been my imagination. what we really need to do is get the car rolling road tested before and after installing the powerdeck spacer.

At the time i was going to get mine rolling road tested but now i just cant justify spending £50 which i havent got just to know how powerful my motor is.

Just to be sure... does your chamber definately open at 5,000 revs? and are you taking your car above 5,000 revs too?

hello its interesting too see other have gone down the same road as me.

i did notice a power increase however it may of just been my imagination. what we really need to do is get the car rolling road tested before and after installing the powerdeck spacer.

At the time i was going to get mine rolling road tested but now i just cant justify spending £50 which i havent got just to know how powerful my motor is.

Just to be sure... does your chamber definately open at 5,000 revs? and are you taking your car above 5,000 revs too?

I' m very happy to write with you........but my english is very poor :crybaby:

ACIS is opened to 5000 or 5500 turns to the minute.........But my Celica creed is equal to yours not? I have an ST202 '99..........125kw!

How much is high yours spacer?

According to me the problem is try to have just height of the

spacer........

Quick question, celicume, just looking at the pictures of your Celica, looks very good lowered. :thumbsup:

Was just wondering, near your gear stick, in one of the picutures you've got a little red LED display reading 11.8. What is that?

Pic

i just guessed a height for my powerdeck spacer.

ill measure it for you if you like?

Perhaps you could tell us what these are?

picture.jpg

Quick question, celicume, just looking at the pictures of your Celica, looks very good lowered.  :thumbsup:

Was just wondering, near your gear stick, in one of the picutures you've got a little red LED display reading 11.8. What is that?

Pic

Thanks for compliments!!! Me and my car are very happy.......... :D The little red led near my gear stick are a digital voltmeter and it

serves to me to see the battery' s voltage and to control my amplifiers :) !!! My ideas......... :thumbsup:

i just guessed a height for my powerdeck spacer.

ill measure it for you if you like?

Perhaps you could tell us what these are?

picture.jpg

I should be very obliged to you if you will measure it for me!!! We can compare some data to find the right way!

My Celica is one of the last constructed versions! Therefore, the box near the airbox is a resonator that favors the power

to the low regimes, while the golden small tube is the EGR valve to recirculate exhaust gas! There are other differences.........as an example in the exhaust manifolds..........if you watches well you will see that the silver-plated cover is

different from yours...... :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links