Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tspirit Nav And Audio System

The Traveller

1st question for the experts here;

Is it possible to put in Points of Interest (PoI) to the Nav system? I'm especially interested in a safety camera database, Garmin, TomTom and all the others offer it, is it possible on this system? If so, how is it kept up to date? I'm not just a speed sorry safety camera dodger though, I'd also like to be able to put in groups of points like the Commonwealth war cemeteries in France and Belgium. Or a database of filling stations across the Continent (I'm assured that the mapping covers all of Europe, can someone confirm that?). You get the idea, is there a built-in PoI database, and/or alternatively the option to import and update PoI's?

Subsidiary question 1;

Does it support Postcodes for routing, etc? Can someone give a little info about the NAV system and routing/favourites/traffic/PoI please? What IS in there and what isn't?

Subsidiary question;

How can the mapping system be upgraded in years to come, new roads etc.? Is it going to be a back-to-dealer thing?

2nd question;

10GB of the hard drive is reserved for music. I've ripped all my CD's to MP3 years ago. How do I get them from my desktop onto that hard drive without owning an MP3 player of any description? Simple USB stick? I've read somewhere that there will be an option to have a USB connection for your own music, is this so? And if so is there a simple copy function to import music?

Thanks in advance.

2nd question;

10GB of the hard drive is reserved for music. I've ripped all my CD's to MP3 years ago. How do I get them from my desktop onto that hard drive without owning an MP3 player of any description? Simple USB stick? I've read somewhere that there will be an option to have a USB connection for your own music, is this so? And if so is there a simple copy function to import music?

I can answer the second for you. The jukebox system will only allow you to rip commercial CDs to its HDD. It will not rip from CDR copies (as most disc authoring software can't set the security copying code the system is looking for. But full authoring tools like Nero might allow you to do this.) It will not transfer MP3's from Data CDR discs either, although it will play them from the disc.

There is an iPod kit which costs a whopping £288. I'm assured that this allows full control of the iPod from the Nav screen and re-charges the device.

You can also stream music over bluetooth from a OS/3 equipped iPhone or iPod Touch Gen 2, or most other bluetooth devices like a Blackberry. However the bluetooth cannot connect to 2 devices at once - i.e. a Blackberry for phone and an iPod Touch Gen 2 for music. But according to Tone_UK it will stop the music and take a call if you have an iPhone connected.

Postcodes are supported.

POIs can be input, but I have not had time to play with the Nav system yet as all I have been doing is going to work on my normal route.

2nd question;

I can answer the second for you. The jukebox system will only allow you to rip commercial CDs to its HDD. It will not rip from CDR copies (as most disc authoring software can't set the security copying code the system is looking for. But full authoring tools like Nero might allow you to do this.) It will not transfer MP3's from Data CDR discs either, although it will play them from the disc.

There is an iPod kit which costs a whopping £288. I'm assured that this allows full control of the iPod from the Nav screen and re-charges the device.

You can also stream music over bluetooth from a OS/3 equipped iPhone or iPod Touch Gen 2, or most other bluetooth devices like a Blackberry. However the bluetooth cannot connect to 2 devices at once - i.e. a Blackberry for phone and an iPod Touch Gen 2 for music. But according to Tone_UK it will stop the music and take a call if you have an iPhone connected.

Thanks Wooski. You mean that I've got to dig all of my 800-odd CD's, long-unseen, out of storage boxes and rip them all again, one-by-one, onto the hard drive? And presumably add all the metadata, artists, albums, track names, delete all the dross tracks that I don't want, blah, blah, blah? She won't see me for a month while I camp out in the car sorting out my music. I'll have to get her to supply blankets and regular meals out there. It'll end in tears.

What about the era of downloads? People are moving away from buying hard-copy original CD's and simply buying the tracks they like over the web. Which means that you have to then cut those desired tracks onto CDR and play them on the CD player, or buy that £288 piece of wire (for an MP3 player that I don't want to buy). You say that it's a kit for an iPod, but does it carry a standard USB socket too, so that you can plug in a USB memory stick and play from that? The key addition in the TSpirit compared to the T4 is the Nav/Audio centre. It ought to be up to date with the way things are done in 2009.

Bah! An ultra-modern and forward-looking vehicle whose music system isn't up to date. Where can I fit my Kenwood head unit......

Thanks Wooski. You mean that I've got to dig all of my 800-odd CD's, long-unseen, out of storage boxes and rip them all again, one-by-one, onto the hard drive? And presumably add all the metadata, artists, albums, track names, delete all the dross tracks that I don't want, blah, blah, blah? She won't see me for a month while I camp out in the car sorting out my music. I'll have to get her to supply blankets and regular meals out there. It'll end in tears.

:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

What about the era of downloads? People are moving away from buying hard-copy original CD's and simply buying the tracks they like over the web. Which means that you have to then cut those desired tracks onto CDR and play them on the CD player, or buy that £288 piece of wire (for an MP3 player that I don't want to buy). You say that it's a kit for an iPod, but does it carry a standard USB socket too, so that you can plug in a USB memory stick and play from that? The key addition in the TSpirit compared to the T4 is the Nav/Audio centre. It ought to be up to date with the way things are done in 2009.

Bah! An ultra-modern and forward-looking vehicle whose music system isn't up to date. Where can I fit my Kenwood head unit......

It's not quite as bad as that. There is an AUX input in the central armrest so any Audio device can be played into the system though that. You could then buy a cheap cable to recharge your MP3 player from the power socket also in the armrest. The only advantage of the Integration kit is the ability to control the iPod from the Nav screen. Is it really worth £288 for that convenience? Maybe it's a good Xmas present.

The Jukebox will be handy to store some of my favourite CDs, which I will rip as I play them. That way I'll always have something I like to listen too in the car, if I forget my iPod. I will also play some MP3 CDR compilation's in the usual way. The system has an onboard Gracenote database, so should recognise most CDs, but of course not new ones. No one has yet worked out how you update this, but that will come I'm sure.

There are 2 kits. An iPod only kit and a slightly more expensive USB / iPod kit.

Could always get yourself an iPhone or other bluetooth device and stream.

I'm just gobsmacked that there isn't a 6 CD changer on any of the models. My current T4 has one so why not the new T4. Or maybe with all the newer technology are CD changers now redundant?

1st question for the experts here;

Is it possible to put in Points of Interest (PoI) to the Nav system? I'm especially interested in a safety camera database, Garmin, TomTom and all the others offer it, is it possible on this system? If so, how is it kept up to date? I'm not just a speed sorry safety camera dodger though, I'd also like to be able to put in groups of points like the Commonwealth war cemeteries in France and Belgium. Or a database of filling stations across the Continent (I'm assured that the mapping covers all of Europe, can someone confirm that?). You get the idea, is there a built-in PoI database, and/or alternatively the option to import and update PoI's?

Thats exactly the question I have been wanting to know ?? I have a feeling its not possible as on an ordinary sat nav the camera database goes in with the mapping as an example Tom-tom are OV2 format

I'm just gobsmacked that there isn't a 6 CD changer on any of the models. My current T4 has one so why not the new T4. Or maybe with all the newer technology are CD changers now redundant?

Effectively yes, the HDD Jukebox replaces the concept of a 6 disc changer.

Effectively yes, the HDD Jukebox replaces the concept of a 6 disc changer.

@Wooski

With the the aux-in point in the armrest, can the mp3 player be operated from the steering wheel controls (or nav screen) - just back forward/backward etc and what is the track name etc displayed on the screen? My current standard head unit plays mp3 data cd's and the track name and all info is available, so I would hope the Prius is the same...... ^_^

Many thanks

PS I am having my test drive on Saturday :D

It's not quite as bad as that. There is an AUX input in the central armrest so any Audio device can be played into the system though that. You could then buy a cheap cable to recharge your MP3 player from the power socket also in the armrest. The only advantage of the Integration kit is the ability to control the iPod from the Nav screen. Is it really worth £288 for that convenience? Maybe it's a good Xmas present.

I did consider a T4 and adding an MP3 player, but in the end I decided it was just another thing I could forget to take along, forget to turn off, forget to re-charge, etc., etc.,

So in the end, being slightly lazy and forgetful :D , I paid the extra and I'll rip a dozen or so CD's to the HDD at a time as I go along (depending how long it takes to rip each CD). ;)

@Wooski

With the the aux-in point in the armrest, can the mp3 player be operated from the steering wheel controls (or nav screen) - just back forward/backward etc and what is the track name etc displayed on the screen? My current standard head unit plays mp3 data cd's and the track name and all info is available, so I would hope the Prius is the same...... ^_^

Many thanks

PS I am having my test drive on Saturday :D

With the aux in point the control of the MP3 or other portable player itself remains with the player only. No text on the screen etc - its just an audio signal in and nothing more. However volume levels of the head unit (effectively just an amplifier) will still be controllable from the steering wheel.

I would imagine MP3 data CDs will show the full text etc on the head unit - weather it be the standard CD player or the Nav screen.

The iPod kit would allow full control of the iPod from the head unit and show full text. I still think £288 is alot to pay extra for this though. Maybe by Xmas I'll have changed my mind...

Thanks for the info Wooski :)

Not being able to rip data mp3 cd's to the HDD seems crackers, but there is nothing that can be done, so I guess we have to spend more on the ipod kit.... even though I don't have one :rolleyes:

I notice on PriusChat that in the States they are also offering a "USB integration kit", which lets you plug in a USB stiick, but only for NAV equipped cars.

Good luck with the pick up on Thrusday :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links