Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Got Aftermarket Wheels On A 4.3? Photos Please?

sywy

I'm finally starting to look at new alloys for my T180, so I can get rid of the stupid run flat system :censor:

Not sure what I want really, so was wondering if anyone (not just T180 owners) has changed their wheels? What to? And if you had any photos to help me decide. I'm not sure whether to go for something similar, or something completely different!! Many thanks, Simon.

BTW, I went into my local Toyota dealer on Friday to try to negotiate a better price on the tyres. The service receptionist could not find the bloke that usually deals with RFTs. However, she did say they did not do them very often, and it was over 12 months since they did the last one, and it took them 3 days!! She also said that the last person to ask about them was referred onto another dealer 20 odd miles away, as they did not really want to do them again if they could help it :eek: , and the other (bigger) dealer had more experience!!

EDIT: Found this thread over on RAV4WORLD, but still interested in seeing your photos.

Hi SYWY, just about to send you over to R4World, but noticed you have done it, Might be worth you having a look on fleabay, or Lexus forums as i believe Lexus wheels fit our Ravs, If you find something you like get a price and PM me I might be able to get them cheaper + poss tyres.. :thumbsup: Stew

Somebody posted some once but I got fed up of looking after about half an hour. It was somebody who took his RFTs off and I think it was about a year ago.

Hi Sim, might not be any good because I've never had it on my Rav yet (touches wood) but have a look at my thread

about buying a spare wheel. I opted for the aftermarket as it was a lot cheaper than the MrT option. I dare say buying

a full set would be cheaper again. I picked this one because its kinda similar to the XT-R wheels, if you squint your

eyes, while looking into the sun :lol::lol: See link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ing+spare+wheel

Thanks all.

At the moment, I've been offered some Team Dynamics Rimfires (samey) with Yoko rubber (G01?) qute cheap? - £800. Apparently they are end of line, and wantto get rid. The supplier also reckons that the Rimfire were OEM of the RAV at some time. Not sure on that, can't ever remember seeing them. Another supplier is offering me Team Dynamics Savages (different) with Hankook tyres for similar price. Again, the wheels are on special.

Thanks all.

At the moment, I've been offered some Team Dynamics Rimfires (samey) with Yoko rubber (G01?) qute cheap? - £800. Apparently they are end of line, and wantto get rid. The supplier also reckons that the Rimfire were OEM of the RAV at some time. Not sure on that, can't ever remember seeing them. Another supplier is offering me Team Dynamics Savages (different) with Hankook tyres for similar price. Again, the wheels are on special.

of the two, I like the rimfires, are you looking for 18" simon? And what about the option of removing support rings + just replacing tyres, or do you fancy a change anyway? STEW, I think at £800 they sound good, tyres are about £120 on their own..Quick look here Si.. LINK

Hi Stew. Yep, looking for 18's (straight replacement). I did enquire about removing the rings with Toyota, but the 2 dealers I asked would not contemplate it, even if I signed a disclaimer. I also asked one of the wheel shops, and they said they had attempted to do it before, and it was a bit of a mess. They had to use a blow torch in the end. So he said he would rather not do it, if he had the choice (of course he could be saying that so he can sell me a set of wheels!!).

Oh, thanks for the link, but the wheels are available for £325 locally anyway.

Must say i think the originals look the best and out of the other 2 sets the Rimfires look a lot better . Ive seen a rav with the wheels with loads of spokes on and they didnt suit the 4.3 IMHO .And if i get another punchure i will be going down a simmilar route ;)

Mick :thumbsup:

Somebody posted some once but I got fed up of looking after about half an hour. It was somebody who took his RFTs off and I think it was about a year ago.
Hi Simon You may have seen this but HERE is the link to the removing support rinng post...Stew :thumbsup:

Thanks Stew. Would rather keep the wheels in tact for when I eventually sell, I think.

Trying to source some TSW Reflex's locally now. Emailed a supplier this morning, and they never replied :( No idea if they are suitable for the RAV? Do I have to go for wheels specifically for 4x4's? Or are normal car wheels OK? Also, If I buy a wheel/tyre package of the Net, do I just put them on the RAV, and job done? Or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks Stew. Would rather keep the wheels in tact for when I eventually sell, I think.

Trying to source some TSW Reflex's locally now. Emailed a supplier this morning, and they never replied :( No idea if they are suitable for the RAV? Do I have to go for wheels specifically for 4x4's? Or are normal car wheels OK? Also, If I buy a wheel/tyre package of the Net, do I just put them on the RAV, and job done? Or do I need to do anything else?

In all honesty, I dont know, I would have thought any wheels provided they fit, bolt holes. offset. etc would be okay its not like the Rav is any heavier than a saloon car, or your going to do serious off roading, I did notice that link i put up for those Rimfires, further down the "ebay" page it did say Team Dynamics fitting kit :unsure: Sometimes I believe you have to use new wheelnuts/bolts but the supplying dealer must know all the info. might be advisable to make sure he knows the car they are being fitted to, IMO those TSW Reflex look good, but the spokes seem to stick out further than the actual rim you will have to be extra careful not to Kerb them, I do have a relative owns a tyre + alloy wheel dealership in Manchester but even if he gave me/you a discount I doubt he would be able to match some of the internet prices, but if i can help in any way let me know.. :thumbsup: Stew

Hi Simon,

have you come across this outfit: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...amp;tlgrp=RD001 ? I bought my after market TPMS from them and they were very good on price and customer service. They had a massive selection of wheels and tyres and would put together packages to suit a customer. Definitely knew what they were talking about. Not TOO far from you at Wrexham.

Can anybody tell me what the support ring is made off?

Still confused by if I need special 4x4 wheels? A couple of suppliers have said yes as the load rating is higher. And another says no, they are for pick-ups and the bigger SUV's? Anyone got any opinions?

IMHO Simon I would use a bona-fide company which supplies stuff for 4X4's etc. When I used Formula4 the guy there only asked

me for make/model/year, he could rhyme off the top of his head the wheel size, offset & PCD so there was plenty of product knowledge.

http://www.formula4.co.uk/

I'm finally starting to look at new alloys for my T180, so I can get rid of the stupid run flat system :censor:

Not sure what I want really, so was wondering if anyone (not just T180 owners) has changed their wheels? What to? And if you had any photos to help me decide. I'm not sure whether to go for something similar, or something completely different!! Many thanks, Simon.

BTW, I went into my local Toyota dealer on Friday to try to negotiate a better price on the tyres. The service receptionist could not find the bloke that usually deals with RFTs. However, she did say they did not do them very often, and it was over 12 months since they did the last one, and it took them 3 days!! She also said that the last person to ask about them was referred onto another dealer 20 odd miles away, as they did not really want to do them again if they could help it :eek: , and the other (bigger) dealer had more experience!!

EDIT: Found this thread over on RAV4WORLD, but still interested in seeing your photos.

So what have you chosen??? I'm doing the same detective work and it's B-difficult to pick a rim and tyre that looks right and goes with the colour of the RAV. Wife says no to the "moto metals". Shame fancy them!

Not decided on any yet. As I said above, I'm concerned at whether I should be looking for 4x4 wheels, so may opt for the Rimfires, as they are designed for SUV's, I think. I quite like the Wolfrace Lugano GB's, but not sure if they would suit the RAV?

Not decided on any yet. As I said above, I'm concerned at whether I should be looking for 4x4 wheels, so may opt for the Rimfires, as they are designed for SUV's, I think. I quite like the Wolfrace Lugano GB's, but not sure if they would suit the RAV?

I'm thinking of dropping to 17" rims with 65 profile tyres to soften up the ride. The tyre calculator in the workshop section http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154 calculates no speedo error. Unless anyones knows different?

I wouldnt worry to much about 4x4 specific wheels, if these 30" rims can handle a Hummer you shouldn't need to worry STEW

DSCF1174.jpg

I would imagine that all wheels must comply to BS/Tuv standards, I don't think out Ravs are any heavier than most large saloons + in any case, (i am no expert) the weight of the vehicle would not be the greatest stress on wheels, I would imagine hitting a kerb at speed, or cornering fiercely, such as JC on top gear would be a far greater strain, we have always been told that alloys are stronger + lighter than steel wheels, I have seen a few de-formed steel wheels + lots of scratched + gouged alloys but Ive never seen a broken alloy wheel, on this basis i would have thought any quality alloy whether designed for a car or suv would be adequate for our Ravs, but this is only my opinion..Stew

JC on top gear would be a far greater strain

That's a good point Stew - I was once told by an Aston Martin employee that any car they send to Top Gear has the wheels removed and destroyed :hammer: when they get it back for just that reason!

The deed is now done :D

Went with the 18" rimfires and Geolanders for £775 all in, which I thought was a very good deal. Just driven home, and I think the ride is a little bit softer, but they are definitely quieter (less road noise). Will try to take some photos tomorrow, when it is light.

Now I just need to get a tyre repair kit? Any recommendations?

Also, how is best to store my old wheels/tyres? Standing up or laying flat? Should I defate them or anything?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links