Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Extended Warranty

GeorgeJoseph

Hello All,

I just wanted to ask your opinion of the toyota extended warranty scheme. My new car a 2.0 VVTI automatic just ran out of warranty in Jan2010. it has done 63k miles so far( I bought it 3 days ago). Apart form a missed 10k service everything else is ok. Is it worth taking the warranty?

did you buy it privately or from a dealer (most dealers will give you some warranty)?

iirc the 2.0VVTI is supposed to be relatively problem free.

Now, on my 2.2 D4D with the problems noted on this forum by others I'm starting to think that it may well be worth it.

did you buy it privately or from a dealer (most dealers will give you some warranty)?

Now, on my 2.2 D4D with the problems noted on this forum by others I'm starting to think that it may well be worth it.

I just took out may exteneded warranty on my t180 so thankfull i did cos one month after the 3 years warranty expired the car was in need of a new egr valve and a de-coke.

I bought it privately. While the 2.0 VVTIs seem a bit better off than the 1.8/1.6 VVTIs, I am in no position to pay for head gasket replacements or any work other than normal servicing. My car is a auto box as well, so if that develops trouble for any reason, I will be truly in a mess.

Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,

Warm Regards,

George.

I just took out may exteneded warranty on my t180 so thankfull i did cos one month after the 3 years warranty expired the car was in need of a new egr valve and a de-coke.

How much is the extended warranty ? mine will be 3 year old soon, and will it vary from dealer to dealer or a fixed amount.

How much is the extended warranty ? mine will be 3 year old soon, and will it vary from dealer to dealer or a fixed amount.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/1024downloads/T...s&forceText

it also includes Club Toyota membership in that price so that's you sorted for breakdown cover too.

It is all a matter of risk - as all insurances are. I did not have any problems so far (knock on wood etc...) but since I am doing high milage, and it was important to me to have the car for a long time (return on investment), I decided that it will be worth while for me (I will admit that probably reading the forum is a factor...).

my main consideration is that all parts are very expensive, and even if I will have a small problem, it might cost more then the insurance. Other people might have different considerations, and choose differently. Also you need to consider that the car have to be serviced by Toyota, and not by an independent garage (which might be cheaper in service costs).

You also get RAC comprehensive recovery (including Europe).

As for price, I have got some change from £800, for a car that was under 3 years, with unlimited milage for two years.

Also consider, that according to the leaflet, if you renew the warenty before it expires (ie before the two years finished), they will renew it, regardless of the milage of the car, which for me will bring the car close to 200K... shouldn't be that bad.

Regards

TwoT

The issue i have with this warranty is the lack of published warranty exemptions, should we keep the Verso 3yrs i would be tempted but we need to know they wont pay out on. It will also be run by a 3rd party not Mr T, so if you can get the same thing unbranded why would we purchase this one?

I took extended warranty too on my car from Toyota . The toyota warranty beats all others. I did get a quote from Warranty Direct for 250£. The issue is for every claim a 10% surcharge exists. The number of claims per year is also limited. The toyota option is way better in terms of providing good RAC cover , replacement car etc .

Is the warranty till 200k? I was told by my dealer that the car can provided warranty till 100k. As long as it is under 100k, I can get a 2 year warranty and then get an extended 2 year warranty from then - 7 years of warranty in total as long as it is under 100k.

I am also of the opinion that the pre VVTI avensis are cheaper to fix in a local garage - VVTI engines and all the new technologies coming in the newer avensis will need toyota garages or garages with capabilities as much as toyota. I guess that itself justifies having a warranty.

You can take out the warranty as long as the car is under 7 yrs and 100k at the time you extend the warranty. The warranty will then run for the full period.

Under the two year extended warranty on my 2.0vvti manual I've had new steering rack due to a slight squeak and a new windscreen washer pump. Repairs estimated at £850+£170 so well worth it. Also diagnosed faulty o2 sensor but would not change unless faulted again. Diagnosis wass free with warranty since the o2 sensor is a covered item.

My gf has 2.0D4D and has just had a new turbo charger fitted under warranty. Would have cost approx £2k

There is a booklet you can get in store which explains the warranty but take it to mean covers everything except wear and tear items such as batteries, exhausts, tyres etc.

My warranty runs out in April 2010 and the car will have about 90k on clock. I'll take a further 2 yrs unlimited mileage which will take me to 8yr old and 130k miles. Then its time to get rid I thinks.

You can take out the warranty as long as the car is under 7 yrs and 100k at the time you extend the warranty. The warranty will then run for the full period.

Under the two year extended warranty on my 2.0vvti manual I've had new steering rack due to a slight squeak and a new windscreen washer pump. Repairs estimated at £850+£170 so well worth it. Also diagnosed faulty o2 sensor but would not change unless faulted again. Diagnosis wass free with warranty since the o2 sensor is a covered item.

My gf has 2.0D4D and has just had a new turbo charger fitted under warranty. Would have cost approx £2k

There is a booklet you can get in store which explains the warranty but take it to mean covers everything except wear and tear items such as batteries, exhausts, tyres etc.

My warranty runs out in April 2010 and the car will have about 90k on clock. I'll take a further 2 yrs unlimited mileage which will take me to 8yr old and 130k miles. Then its time to get rid I thinks.

Read the document yesterday, and if I understand correctly, the major limiting factor is the car's age. As I understand (do not have it to hand now) Mr T will extend the warenty even if your car is above 100k, as long as it is under 7 years old at the time of renewal (I have the unlimited milage option).

If what I say is correct, then with my car, at the end of the extended warent I will have around 120k, if I renew it before it expiers (that is the condition to extending it above 100k) for another 2 years, at the end of that period, my car will be 7 years old, and estimated milage 180k... If I will get there I will be happy... :thumbsup:

After that, it will be worth next to nothing anyway, so will run until it is OK and then replace...

TwoT

The issue i have with this warranty is the lack of published warranty exemptions, should we keep the Verso 3yrs i would be tempted but we need to know they wont pay out on. It will also be run by a 3rd party not Mr T, so if you can get the same thing unbranded why would we purchase this one?

The reason there is a lack of published exemptions is that there are hardly any :eek:

The Toyota extended warranty is an extension to the manufacturers warranty. If you go and buy one from the high street you are buying insurance cover for a very limited amount of componants, usually major items only, and then claim limits apply. The only things not covered on a Toyota warranty are wear and tear items like brake pads wearing out or Wiper Blades, that type of thing

The Toyota extended warranty beats hands down ANY off the peg warranty all day long

The list of benefits includes, Car hire, hotel expenses, FREE MOT test cover, FREE club Toyota, No petty claim limits which leave you out of pocket if something major fails, and a no claim bonus of £50 if you renew again, no way would you get all of that in an off the peg warranty

Kingo :thumbsup:

The reason there is a lack of published exemptions is that there are hardly any :eek:

The Toyota extended warranty is an extension to the manufacturers warranty. If you go and buy one from the high street you are buying insurance cover for a very limited amount of componants, usually major items only, and then claim limits apply. The only things not covered on a Toyota warranty are wear and tear items like brake pads wearing out or Wiper Blades, that type of thing

The Toyota extended warranty beats hands down ANY off the peg warranty all day long

The list of benefits includes, Car hire, hotel expenses, FREE MOT test cover, FREE club Toyota, No petty claim limits which leave you out of pocket if something major fails, and a no claim bonus of £50 if you renew again, no way would you get all of that in an off the peg warranty

Great answer John :thumbsup:

So...if the turbo fails and destroys the cat would you expect both to be replaced?

Great answer John :thumbsup:

So...if the turbo fails and destroys the cat would you expect both to be replaced?

That's correct, on "Off the peg" warranties you get NO consequential damage cover at all, but this is EXTENDED MANUFACTURERS warranty we are talking about. There are some limits to cost, they will not pay out if the cost of repair is more than the car is worth, but in general terms, your scenario above would be covered

THE LEGAL BIT :rolleyes:

I am not covered by the FSA to give advice on insurance products. The information above is meant as a guidence only and you must ensure any product purchased is right for you and you have taken proper advice

• 10 months later...

I have just bought a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR 5dr with 54K mileage, o8 plated, first registered on 1st March 2008 - so is still covered by the Toyota Warranty for the next 6 weeks. I am going to discuss a Toyota extended warranty with the main dealership in Cheltenham (Lister Toyota),

I am thinking about having 2 year warranty - current 2011 price is £760 with 20,000 miles. Trouble is I cannot find any information about what is included in this price. Can anyone give me any details, please.

I have also obtain quotes for extended warranties from insurance backed companies:

UVW - 3 year Executive Plus cover with additional benefits for main dealer repairs, wear & tear cover and catalytic convertor coverage for £770.83. Claim limit: Current Market Value.

Warranties Direct - 1 year ExtraCare policy is £338.21; this includes for main dealer repair, wear & tear, consequential loss. Claim Limit: Value of car.

What I find difficult to assess between the Toyota warranty and these other insurance backed policies is what is included. Does the Toyota warranty give better coverage in case of mechanical failure - does it include consequential loss, if something fails and causes damage to other non-faulty items will Toyota repair everything? Do any forum members have any knowledge of this situation and any of the two warranty providers listed above. Listers Toyota advised me that they are reluctant to repair a vehicle covered by the insurance warranty providers due to the delay in getting paid.

Any information would be appreciated.

John

I have just bought a Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-4D TR 5dr with 54K mileage, o8 plated, first registered on 1st March 2008 - so is still covered by the Toyota Warranty for the next 6 weeks. I am going to discuss a Toyota extended warranty with the main dealership in Cheltenham (Lister Toyota),

I am thinking about having 2 year warranty - current 2011 price is £760 with 20,000 miles. Trouble is I cannot find any information about what is included in this price. Can anyone give me any details, please.

I have also obtain quotes for extended warranties from insurance backed companies:

UVW - 3 year Executive Plus cover with additional benefits for main dealer repairs, wear & tear cover and catalytic convertor coverage for £770.83. Claim limit: Current Market Value.

Warranties Direct - 1 year ExtraCare policy is £338.21; this includes for main dealer repair, wear & tear, consequential loss. Claim Limit: Value of car.

What I find difficult to assess between the Toyota warranty and these other insurance backed policies is what is included. Does the Toyota warranty give better coverage in case of mechanical failure - does it include consequential loss, if something fails and causes damage to other non-faulty items will Toyota repair everything? Do any forum members have any knowledge of this situation and any of the two warranty providers listed above. Listers Toyota advised me that they are reluctant to repair a vehicle covered by the insurance warranty providers due to the delay in getting paid.

John

Hi, if you look at the same question asked by cabcurtains above it is answered by Partsking (AKA kingo) who is a Toyota Main dealer, the answer seems to be yes.

Regards Pete.

I wanted to take out an extended warranty with Toyota. But my car was 4000 miles over the 100000 mile limit! even though the car had a new engine fitted under warranty (100000 mls) they would not have it. Shame when its got a full Toyoya servive record and I had the £800 in my hand ready to part with... :ffs:

John

Hi, if you look at the same question asked by cabcurtains above it is answered by Partsking (AKA kingo) who is a Toyota Main dealer, the answer seems to be yes.

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete,

That's just what I thought - trouble was a got a very hard sell from someone at Warranties Direct, alleged to be the best insurance backed warranty provider according to Honest John, The Times, Which etc. (as stated in their advert).

I was told by Warranty Direct that a Toyota Warranty doesn't cover consequential loss?

Am going to discuss this with Listers Toyota in Cheltenham and get an honest opinion (hopefully) - Partsking (AKA kingo) is from Lindops Queensferry a Toyota Dealer so I would favour his opinion rather than a hard sell insurance agent!

Will let you know what transpires.

Thanks, John

Warranty direct tried to tell me that my gearbox failure was a not covered as the gear box was a fair wear and tear item, and then they decided that it wasn't but my car was not serviced in accordance with their rules, so the cover was void.

You make up your own mind, but i won't use them again.

I have the Toyota Extended warranty on my T180. Noticed an oil leak from the sump area which was checked out by local dealer (Howards Toyota) when in for 40000 service. They did the leg work, contacted the warranty people who inspected the car and agreed the repair. Apparently the book time for the job was 10 hours which was paid in full. I am glad I had the Toyota warranty - not sure if other companies would deal with such a leak

The Toyota Warranty is described as a new car warranty minus the standard wear and tear items such as Battery, brakes etc.

In addition to the work I mentioned in an earlier posting on this thread, My 2.0vvti had a new radiator fitted at 90k (they said value of radiator was approx £330 and looked huge!). Also just had a o2 sensor module fitted at 101k and that ecu module cost £870+vat not forgetting the labour.

The car is burning excessive oil but still within Toyota spec. My dealer is monitoring my usage and topping it up every 1000 miles.

I'm so glad I took out my warranty and it still has over a year to run!

The Toyota Warranty is described as a new car warranty minus the standard wear and tear items such as battery, brakes etc.

In addition to the work I mentioned in an earlier posting on this thread, My 2.0vvti had a new radiator fitted at 90k (they said value of radiator was approx £330 and looked huge!). Also just had a o2 sensor module fitted at 101k and that ecu module cost £870+vat not forgetting the labour.

The car is burning excessive oil but still within Toyota spec. My dealer is monitoring my usage and topping it up every 1000 miles.

I'm so glad I took out my warranty and it still has over a year to run!

What year car do you have?

Also how old car they cover? I am asking your mileages are very high on your car.

cheers.

Mines on a 54 plate. First registered 1st April 2004. I bought the car April 2007 from a dealer and came with 1yr toyota warranty. then I have extended it twice by buying additional 2yrs. So bought age 4-6 and then years 6-8. As long at the car is under 100k and 7yrs at the time you extend the warranty then you are fine.

Incidently the comments about RAC/AA Recovery included - it is only for year one when you take out a 2 yr extension.

Hope that helps.

Incidently the comments about RAC/AA Recovery included - it is only for year one when you take out a 2 yr extension.

mmm, no it's not.

If you take out the 2 year extension that includes 2 years Club Toyota which includes Recovery/At Home breakdown cover.

I took mine out in December 2010 so it's current info.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links