Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq With Towbar And Trailer

CiaranP

I need to attach a small trailer to the back of my IQ. Any suggestions for stylish trailers and towbars that could be used

• Like 1

It is not the FIRST time that this topic was intensive posted here in this forum (Search!!!!) :bash:

So again - NO towing, no rooflad for the iQ :nono:

Your reply , I feel is a little terse, considering the thread was started by a new member with 2 posts.

Toyota say that a towbar should not be fitted to an IQ, and as all Car Towbars have to be certified, there is little chance of getting one of the shelf.

However I believe there is a bespoke supplier, but the price is about £600 (yep six hundred pounds),

I only know this as I wanted a towbar to help move a small car trailer that the IQ was going to be trailed on.

Rgds

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Well boys and girls...

I have done it... phone the insurance company and no problem .. got official papers for the name and number of the trailer.
BTW In Germany it is already admitted for the iQ...and it has an European Allowance to do so... From the pulling-hook company Rameder...
The pullinghook from Thule I have I Holland is exactly the same as in Germany... sooo..
It is allowed to pull 350 kilos without brakes and 550 with brakes.

My trailer weighs 160 kilos and the Motorcycle weighs 186... so a total of 346 kilos... so that's OK.
The insurance company demanded : good tires / good joint-things / good lights / and good safety cables attached to the car body.

Well... that's no problem.

Finally I could go, and I went, to the German C1 motorcycle meeting...

But driving the little car took about 6 hours (with stops)... no problems..held well...had the CVT mostly in de Sport position...

Turned up using 7.1 liters every 100 kilometers... so not really that bad... :-/

Here are some pictures...

imagejpg1_zps015d3437.jpg
DSC_0008_zpsf3b0a0a4.jpg
imagejpg2_zpsaa4491a5.jpg
imagejpg2_zps7193961f.jpg

• Like 1

Well boys and girls...

I have done it...

That is so cool!

• Like 1

Well boys and girls...

I have done it...

That is so cool!

Thank you! Andy.... yes it should be possible...and I have been arguing for 2 years now... finally I am fed up with this...the car can do it / Germany has clearance / and the insurance-company gave green light...

I am still waiting for a last replay from the Dutch Department of Measurement and Testing...the Dutch RDW... RijksDienstWegverkeer...

Lots of success I wish for you...

And I am the very First with this... oh yeah... :-P

IMG_20150608_112616_zpsf2shs49d.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

there are very inexpensive towbars in US, for example :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Curt-Class-1-Trailer-Hitch-Wiring-Euro-Kit-w-1-7-8-Ball-for-Scion-iQ-/141198202980?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e0119864

I suppose Scion IQ have the same rear bumper fixation as our Toyotas?

But I observe their "Euro kit" with a 1-7/8" ball does not comply with our european standart (50mm)...

The "crux" of the subject is not the price of this system ... but the ability to actually use the towinghook to pull a trailer... and not only for a bicycle-rack. Now the Germans (don't mention the war) have made it legal to pull a trailer.

About the American pullinghook-thing... I know this one... compared to the one from Thule or from Rameder I found it to look not as sturdy ...

But then again ... it's not the price that was important ... :-/

And I have left Willingen (Germany) and have come home safe... the C1 is in the garage...

It was a lot of fun... and all went very well..even-though there were very steep hills... no problem at all (in the mountain gearing... ) :-)

imagejpg4_zps8df78e49.jpg

This was at a dam for water-run-turbine-electricity....

imagejpg2_zpsdc02e0f9.jpg

• Like 1

WOW, Nothing is impossible !

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

I intend to tow a 750 go pod and I have been told this is possible for my 2009 Toyota IQ

The IQ is not legally certified to tow (type approved), 750kg and size/wheelbase of the car would be a very bad idea as the curbwieght of the iq is 850-900kg

you also need to check what your licence allows as there has been a lot of changes over the last few years

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links