Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gtr - What Is It?

craighann

I've just put a deposit down on an imported 1992 Toyota Celica GTR. I've owned a celica before (mark 4 GT Auto), and regretted selling it, so I've had the opportunity to pick this GTR up for a fiver short of 3K. It's in very good condition considering it's age, 110000 on the clock (i'm assuming this is Km, seeing as the speedo is in Km). Air Con, electric windows/mirrors/seats.

Apparently these cars are 4-wheel steering. This is about all I know about this particular model... Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

the GTR is the japanese import equivelant to the UK GT 2.0

but... with the obvious jap extras like 4 wheel steering and other little treats

as with most imports insurance is more expensive than the UK equivelant for reasons unknown to anyone...

sounds like you got a very good deal at £2995

nice one

sam

I haven't looked around for insurance quotes yet - but i'm expecting to get hammered.... :(

I found a useful summary of 4WS over at the yahoo celica gtr forum (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/celica-4ws/files/TechInfo/) that's kind of cleared up for me what 4WS steering actually DOES...

What other 'little treats' might there be? Is there anything in particular to look out for on this model?

I'm completely ignorant as to what i've ended up with here - as soon as I get the car, i'll post a few photos, cos there are a number of switches/dials on the dashboard that I'm not sure of their function.

If anyone's got anything else to add, i'd really appreciate it!

be sure to check at least for the existence of a "4WS" Badge on the back, if it is being sold as such

just bought one myself. lovely motor, had a gen-4 previously like you...

enjoy! B)

~dan

There are no badges at all on the back of the car - not even a toyota one on the left hand side.

It does have a "4WS" sticker on the back window... but I'm not sure this counts as conclusive evidence that it's a 4WS! :unsure:

Hi and welcome. :P

I have a GTR and it has 4ws and no stickers on the back. I had to learn the bloody hard way by sliding all over the place on the back end.

Good fun :lol:

So, without stickers, badges or anything else to show that it's a GTR :D, what do I need to look for on the dashboard? I read earlier that there's a 2WS mode for reversing - should I look for a button marked "2WS", or something like that?

Also, (i've got about a million other questions - but i think i'd better ask them one at a time! ;) ), it's got the Toyota Superlive sound system, which I understand is a 10 speaker system, with a sony cd headunit. Can I replace this with any other headunit easily enough? Is it a standard ISO connector block? I've got a sony 10 disk multichanger and head unit that I want to put into the GTR...

B) congratulations i got me a 91 gtr recently.so im looking for info too. there is a switch for 2ws for reverce beside the steering wheel. do you have a manual for yours?

No, I haven't got a manual. I found what looks like some pages from the japanese manual over on the yahoo celica-4ws group; they had scans of the 4ws system wiring diagrams, and part of the manual relevant to the 4ws.

When I had my Gen4, I bought a chilton's manual from Amazon.com (not co.uk!). From what I understand, it covered both the Gen4 and the Gen5. It could be that with the chilton's manual and the scans from celica-4ws, there may be enough info about the car!

hiya mate

good choice i have a 1990 gtr - here we go the 4ws button is locatated just under the dash this will give you 2ws in reverse as you know the little red button with jap writting next to the gearlever turns it off completely not recommended. you also have manual and power mode for your engine/gearbox and sports mode for your suspension i always keep the suspension in sports mode makes for a harder ride but stops body movement and brake dive etc - its up to you if you keep it in power mode but expect the petrol consuption to go up lol its nice for racing etc you also have a sports mode button next to the 2ws steer switch you can use this with or without power mode. the souns system is great but if its the original stereo then its a double din connection at the back you can put another head unit in(i have) but best get someone who knows what they are doin, i messed the electrics up a bit but all sorted now. i have a jap manual but i also got an american manual bit like haynes but more in depth if you can put up with all the yank crap lol

hope this helps a bit and if any other questions ill look in the manual for ya

jason

hi,

what manual have you got? Is it the chilton's one, or is there a better (or more specific) manual available?

I haven't looked around for insurance quotes yet - but i'm expecting to get hammered.... :(

I found a useful summary of 4WS over at the yahoo celica gtr forum (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/celica-4ws/files/TechInfo/) that's kind of cleared up for me what 4WS steering actually DOES...

What other 'little treats' might there be? Is there anything in particular to look out for on this model?

I'm completely ignorant as to what i've ended up with here - as soon as I get the car, i'll post a few photos, cos there are a number of switches/dials on the dashboard that I'm not sure of their function.

If anyone's got anything else to add, i'd really appreciate it!

go with toyota for insurance,

their the dogs <if my vocabulary was any smaller, it would be nearly as small as my genitals> and will quote you cheep

im 650 fully comp and 25

craighann where did you get your manual?

id give my left nut for one. :drool:

i need it for a 91 gtr

I don't have a manual; I had one for my Gen4 that I had a few years ago (just do a search on Amazon.co.uk for "Toyota Celica" under books... It'll come back with the haynes manual and a chilton's manual.

I found other (limited) information for the GTR on the Yahoo! group celica-4ws.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links