Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tomtom Navigation Review

Fidgits

We've all been there, whether its an argument about which way you should have turned at a junction, or the age old question "what is it about men and asking for directions!?".. there is a solution....

OEM Sat Nav systems, while solving this problem, also do a fine job of removing a large portion of hard earned cash from your pocket...

Well, there is a solution, which will stop you having to ask for directions, and bring an end to those little disagreements when it comes to map reading...

I have the TomTom bluetooth Navigator, which runs on my IPaq 1945. The GPS unit and software cost 199, with the original TomTom cradle for my specific IPaq costing a further 50 (optional).

So, today I set off on a journey, with only an end address, and no idea where, or how to get to the address, relying soley on the system....

Firstly, the fact it runs on my IPaq is very useful, already having one meant there was no need to Shell out for a dedicated piece of hardware. The cradle comes with various fitting options, and holds well, with little vibration.

The bluetooth unit was hidden away in my JDM dash tray...

So, how did it perform, well I got there, and on time.. and it made driving easier AND safer.. although the display is small, it is clear and easy to read. The 3D view gives a good idea on perspective. The voice commands meant there was no need to have to read a map, or printed directions, allowing you to just concentrate on driving.

The main display is the 3D map, with addtional information below, showing the next turn, how far to that turn, current speed, time to destination and expected arrival time.

The voice commands and clear, and well timed (varies according to speed).

Inputting the address was simple, just insert the first 4 digits of the postcode, and select from a list. You can also choose a POI (point of interest), such as hotel or airport, and it will take you there.

It also was very fast at calculating the route, and re-routes almost instantly! After calculating the route, it will switch into map mode, to show you the whole journey, before changing into the navigation mode.

It will plan the best route when you have multiple stops, and can route around areas you would like to avoid due to traffic jams and road works.

If your planned route passes through the London Congestion Charging Zone it will prompt you if you would like to an plan alternative around the zone, if at all possible, if not it still tells you that you are going to pass through it.

However, the real benifit is the flexibility, you can change from the UK map to European, or US (depending on what maps you have), you can download databases, such as 'Speed camera locations' and combined with a POI warning, it can also act as a GPS camera detector.

The big buttons make it easy to change settings while on the move (e.g. switch off the voice directions, re-route around traffic).

All in all, i was very impressed, it is a very slick system, and took the stress out of going somewhere i had never been, and allowed me to sit back and enjoy the drive...

I'm in the GPS/tracking industry and a lot of my guys are very clued up on this sort of thing... out head boffin has exactly the same setup as you and totally rates it!!!!!!

CAn't beat it for the price as far as I know...

untill we release one... of course ;)

Yeah, I have to say, it blew me away today (first time i gave it a proper challenge)...

It also astonished a collegue, who is now shopping for one!

Been using mine since i got it at christmas, love it. I also downloaded a speed camera locator (shows the position of all notified fixed cameras) and to help that work better for me there is a german site where you can buy a point of interest warner. Gives me a voice prompt as i approach a camera.

• 4 weeks later...

well, last week was a real tough test for the unit...

Lots of locations, and i relied completly on the TomTom unit (so only had the addresses)...

First one, inputted the first characters of the postcode, selected the street and off i went...

Now, it took me off the M4, and told me to head south for a location in Oxfordshire.. I really didnt trust it, so I pulled over, double checked the address, and sure enough, it said i should head south... so i put my faith in it, and it delivered me via a very nice backroad shortcut i would of never found myself...

The next day, another location, again i wasn't sure of its directions, but put my trust into it...

Unfortunatly, it took me to the wrong town..!!!!

However, the error was down to me... you see, you input the first 4 or 5 characters of the postcode, then the first few letters of the street and select the correct one from the list...

However, double check the postcode, as it will give you options that have similar postcodes!!!

So that error was down to the user!

Apart from that, a flawless demonstration, and it has filled my confidence in it..

Hi Fidgits,

Just wanna know does the bluetooth unit have its own power supply (i.e does it run from batteries) or can you charge it and probably run for couple of hours?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Kenny!

Yeah, the bluetooth unit has an internal Battery, you charge it at home and it lasts about 4/5 hours...

The TomTom cradle also has a port to connect to the unit, so if the Battery does die, then you can run it off that.. :thumbsup:

In my opinion Sat Nav systems should be standard in new cars.

I honestly believe it is safer knowing where you have to turn, what exit to take and where to avoid whilst driving.

I’m sure most of you have seen drivers (a lot in vans/lorry’s) looking at an A to Z while driving.

In may own experience I find it stress free driving having a Sat Nav.

Money well spent, never get lost, you can go anywhere anytime and now any place at a touch of a button.

As long as you know your destination thanks to Microsoft Auto Route or MultyMap.com, I’ve had no problems.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I agree VOR..

I used to drive reading scribbled directions, whereas now, my full attention is on the road..

Its much safer...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links