Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Sunroof (moonroof) Problem

gmcgrane

I have a 1998 1.8 Toyota Avensis with an electric sunroof (moonroof).

Sunroof will slide to fully "open" but will not return to fully "closed" position. Roof will stop at either half way or about 90% closed. Found a stone in channel roughly where the roof stops. Removed stone but roof will only move to that point and no further. Appears that the roof "remembers" where the problem may have been and won't move beyond it? Never had a problem before with sunroof. At a guess I suspect that the roof may need a "reset" to clear problem. Tried disconnecting the Battery and re-connecting it but didn't work!

Manual talks about a "jamming feature" during slide closing operation. "The moon roof stops and opens half way if something gets caught between the moon roof and frame" . This may be relevant to my problem. Another quote from the manual states "If the Battery is disconnected or the Battery level drops, the moon roof switch stopping position is changed. Ask your Toyota dealer".

Regrettably, I wasn't in the car when this problem arose (wife driving) so I cannot detail the exact sequence of events leading up to the problem.

This happened on mine too.

Mine had to go back to Toyota for them to update the software and re-set it but it's still plays up quite a bit so I don't use it just incase, afterall whats the point when you have A/C?

The other problem, is on some cars the rails that it runs on twist and need to be replaced, bot sure which problem you have but it sound similar to mine.

Personally once it's fixed I wouldn't use it again, use the A/C instead, it's cheaper one fuel than ruining the aerodynamics by opening windows etc and also saves you getting sun burn on your head.

Many thanks for your input James.

I brought it to a Dealer this morning as it's raining here! The mechanic dropped the motor (two screws) manually pushed the sun roof back to fully open position, hit the switch with motor disconnected so the motor "thinks" it is in the "open" position and then put motor back. It took a couple of "try it and see" operations like this before it came close to where it should be. It may need another "tweak" but I can do this myself now instead of paying the Main Dealer.

Not sure if this was the "one best way" as intended by the manual but I could see the logic in what was done.

My guess is that the motor is programmed to run for a set number of revoulutions and needs to know it's "home" position.

Also, my car doesn't have aircon. It was a choice between aircon or a sun roof and I took the sun roof. We don't get many hot days so I can live with the inefficiencies of having the roof open.

Finally, I am curious to learn about the "software" mentioned in your last mail?

Are there any Toyota Mechanics on this Board?

This site is a great idea and a very useful source of information!

The software he is talking about (I think) is basically tellin the car which bits do what, control fuel, windows all that sorta stuff, you can even re program keys by opening and shutting the door half a million times or something lol, its kinda lucky it isnt a windows based software, jesus, we would not have to hit anything to crash!!

• 1 year later...

Just had the same problem on my Avensis 1.8GLS.

I determined that I had triggered the problem by opening the driver's door when the sunroof was half way through its "auto close" function with ignition key removed (See post by sjrainsford Nov 25 2003, 12:10PM).

Contacted main dealer as instructed in Owners Manual and was told to look for manual overide "key" by interior light which I could use to close sunroof last inch or so. Found a slot but could not decide whether it was said "key" or a screw securing interior light assembly to headlining. Either way none of my vast supply of screwdrivers or sockets would fit the head of the screw/bolt. I also tried removing fuse for a few minutes to see if this would reset the mechanism but to no avail.

I was all set for a visit to main dealer when I thought I wonder what happens if I try the reverse of what triggered the problem in the first place, i.e. with roof at half open position (the point from which it would currently auto close/open), turn off ignition, set switch to auto open and open door before roof fully completed its auto open function.

Success! Turned ignition back on and all sunroof functions now work OK.

I may have been lucky but this may work for others with same problem.

I guess this is the electronic version of dropping the motor, fully opening the roof and hitting the switch. i.e. the system assumes it will complete the auto open function so next time you hit auto close it goes all the way.

Sorry about duplicate / messy post - this is my first time!

• Like 1

I keep doing this with my sunroof (I never learn to wait until the roof has closed before opening my door).

I usually find keeping the close button pressed and letting the sunroof go all the way into the fully tilted open position, then opening it fully the other way (ie slide it open manually (keep the button pressed that is!)) resets the roof and it will then autoclose properly.

Since I last posted my comment, mine has been back to have a new moonroof fitted under warranty. They reckon that with age the cables seize up causing the rails to twist slightly and then triggers the anti trap mechanism which puts strain on the motor and so forth. Anyway the warranty claim came to £480 ish as apparently it was cheaper for them to replace the lot than just the worn components, I must say it does work a treat but I still prefer to use the A/C most of the time.

There isn't really any software on them as per say. Those guys were talking the usual dealer rubbish. It's basically electronic logic really.

Toyotas are generally thin on software controlled items because it can be troublesome. Anyone owned a volkswagen? These are laden with computers and bus communication systems. And it's a lot to go wrong!

I'm sure newer Toyota's are getting more computers but reliability is key with these.

Blimey, can't belive you noticed that post of mine from ages ago. i can't even remember writing that! Mind you, I have been to sleep since then!

:thumbsup:

I have had my 99 1.8GS for just over 3 years and have just about the same problem with my sunroof which closes fully but then reopens fully again. It makes no difference with the engine on or off. I thought it was connected with my internal light which keeps on blowing it's fuse. I have given up on it and just use tilt or the a/c.

Sunroof will slide to fully "open" but will not return to fully "closed" position. Roof will stop at either half way or about 90% closed. Found a stone in channel roughly where the roof stops. Removed stone but roof will only move to that point and no further. Appears that the roof "remembers" where the problem may have been and won't move beyond it? Never had a problem before with sunroof. At a guess I suspect that the roof may need a "reset" to clear problem. Tried disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it but didn't work!

Manual talks about a "jamming feature" during slide closing operation. "The moon roof stops and opens half way if something gets caught between the moon roof and frame" . This may be relevant to my problem. Another quote from the manual states "If the battery is disconnected or the battery level drops, the moon roof switch stopping position is changed. Ask your Toyota dealer".

Regrettably, I wasn't in the car when this problem arose (wife driving) so I cannot detail the exact sequence of events leading up to the problem.

Sunroof will slide to fully "open" but will not return to fully "closed" position. Roof will stop at either half way or about 90% closed. Found a stone in channel roughly where the roof stops. Removed stone but roof will only move to that point and no further. Appears that the roof "remembers" where the problem may have been and won't move beyond it? Never had a problem before with sunroof. At a guess I suspect that the roof may need a "reset" to clear problem. Tried disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it but didn't work!

Manual talks about a "jamming feature" during slide closing operation. "The moon roof stops and opens half way if something gets caught between the moon roof and frame" . This may be relevant to my problem. Another quote from the manual states "If the battery is disconnected or the battery level drops, the moon roof switch stopping position is changed. Ask your Toyota dealer".

Had slight problems with sunroof. The roof sometimes closes but then reopens. The answer I found was to apply slight upward pressure on the roof as it closes this sorted the problem hope this is of help.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Found this forum yesterday and am I glad I did. I was suffering the Sunroof problem on my recently acquired Avensis. The roof would suddenly only close 3/4's of the way, if you then pressed the switch again it would close but not come up at the back end and lock. It had been like this for a week (Lucky it didnt rain) So my Avensis was ready to go to the Local Dealership, who I had contacted about the problem, the guy told me that this was a common fault and that the solution would be a complete strip out, ie, roof lining then sunroof etc and I would be looking at "quite a few hundred quid" So I got searching on the net and found this thread. Having had a read I went out to the car, switched on the ignition, moved the sunroof right back, hit the switch to auto close and then turned the ignition off whilst the roof was moving. I apprehensively swithched the igniton back on and tried to close the roof, Hey Presto, it worked, so a massive :thumbsup: for this forum and a :censor: for my local Toyota dealership, who, I assume would have done the same as me to sort it and charged me a huge amount for the privilege.

• Like 1

Same problem with my 99 1.8GS, roof was fully open and when trying to close would only travel about 6" forward then stopped. Checked manual and it was as much good as the proverbial chocolate fire guard. Managed to remove motor and push to closed position as a temp fix. Tried to open from this position but still no good. Searched this forum and read comments above. Switched off ignition and opening drivers door when it was moving and like the others this worked a treat!

:thumbsup: This site will be the first place I look for any other issues.

• 10 months later...

i have 1998 Avensis GS , had same problem today sunroof was stuck in middle and was not closing. i think i turned the ignition off/on for car charger whilst Sunroof was closing so it got stuck there.. i went to mechanic he said he is very busy bring it later on as it will require to open the sunroof system..

i came home and check this forum went back in car thats what i did

turned the ignination on

move the sunrooof full back and press the auto close button.. as it started closing coming forward ..i turned the ignition off.. now i turned ingniton ON but no use

open the window of dirver door and stood outside the car, again i tired to close sunroof by auto close , so whilst sunroof was closing i locked the car from outside.. now i sat back in car still no use

this time i KEPT THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR OPEN and tried to close sunroof, as it started to close, I turned the ignition off and then back on.. and it started working .. now by keeping the DOOR OPEN and closing the sunroof.. sunroof came to its place. Job Done.. worked Perfect for me :)

i played with it less then 2 mins and sorted

Many thanks to all who shared their experinces.

:thumbsup: to Forum Admin

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Found this forum yesterday and am I glad I did. I was suffering the Sunroof problem on my recently acquired Avensis. The roof would suddenly only close 3/4's of the way, if you then pressed the switch again it would close but not come up at the back end and lock. It had been like this for a week (Lucky it didnt rain) So my Avensis was ready to go to the Local Dealership, who I had contacted about the problem, the guy told me that this was a common fault and that the solution would be a complete strip out, ie, roof lining then sunroof etc and I would be looking at "quite a few hundred quid" So I got searching on the net and found this thread. Having had a read I went out to the car, switched on the ignition, moved the sunroof right back, hit the switch to auto close and then turned the ignition off whilst the roof was moving. I apprehensively swithched the igniton back on and tried to close the roof, Hey Presto, it worked, so a massive :thumbsup: for this forum and a :censor: for my local Toyota dealership, who, I assume would have done the same as me to sort it and charged me a huge amount for the privilege.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PEEPS!

I have just had the "jammed open" sunroof problem on my 99 Avensis GS and found the manual useless too. Rushed out to buy a Haynes manual before the rains came which was equally unhelpful.

Came on here and found this thread- followed the good advice and hey presto, problem cured.

My wife said "didn't you check it out on the internet first?"

Nothing like being told "I told you so".

I have to say though that the open/ close the driver's door thing seems to crop up on lots of threads for curing/ resetting different problems. I'd never have even considered it unless I'd read about it on here. Makes you wonder how much of Toyota's workshop time charged at £60 an hour is spent opening and closing the door as opposed to doing real mechanical repairs.

(No offence Toyota techies- you know your stuff but I know you don't earn half the £60 p/h)

Great advice , great forum. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PEEPS!

I have just had the "jammed open" sunroof problem on my 99 Avensis GS and found the manual useless too. Rushed out to buy a Haynes manual before the rains came which was equally unhelpful.

Came on here and found this thread- followed the good advice and hey presto, problem cured.

My wife said "didn't you check it out on the internet first?"

Nothing like being told "I told you so".

I have to say though that the open/ close the driver's door thing seems to crop up on lots of threads for curing/ resetting different problems. I'd never have even considered it unless I'd read about it on here. Makes you wonder how much of Toyota's workshop time charged at £60 an hour is spent opening and closing the door as opposed to doing real mechanical repairs.

(No offence Toyota techies- you know your stuff but I know you don't earn half the £60 p/h)

Great advice , great forum. Thanks again!

Hi,

I happened to join this group today after searching to find a fix for the Sunroof problem :rolleyes: I have a 1999 Avensis GLS. While I was fiddling with the Sunroof, a couple of days ago I ended up in the state were it would just not close completely ( I had to keep all possible things to protect from rain water getting in where I parked :huh: ). I fixed up an appointment today to get this "inspected" at the garage where I frequent. The mechanic did his round of inspection and infromed that it would take more time than expected and gave me a different date to get it fixed, he even adviced me that sunroof experts would charge anywhere between £100 to £300, and he can 'try' providing a manual fix by disconnecting the mechanism for 75 quids (apparently one other happless Avensis owner had visited with the same problem and he had his sunroof totally disconnected, to fix this problem by the mechanic)

Thanks to the forum I could get the sunroof back to its original working order. This is a tricky thing and only at some ocassions would anyone be ending up in this situation, I am fortunate among the few to have saved some of my hard earned money.

Great Advice and probably a much used thread! Thanks again, Wishing everyone a memorable New Year 2008.

• 6 months later...

Had this problem today and was in despair as rain was imminent! The opening of door during auto close of sunroof fixed it immediately. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Thanks peps :thumbsup:

Just saved me a lot of cash (and still have dry seats). Quick simple fix thanks to the forum.

I could not find anything else on the net about this problem, seems to be fairly common. Wonder how many people are paying for mechanics to strip out the sunroof?

• 3 months later...
:angry::unsure: Hi, seems i have the same problem with my sunroof which this evening can only be 3/4 closed. I have tried all that is advised on the site.....but have now run out of sunlight. The way i have been climbing in and out of my blessed car doing all the buttons.... doors opening/shutting and turning the ignition... looks like i am hot wiring it...... So i reluctantly have given up as it is freezing out there. Will try tomorrow but if anybody else has any tips please advise. Daisy :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

In our '98 GS TD the sunroof does the tilt movement but doesn't slide at all... Could this be the same problem with cables/rails & has anybody tackled a DIY job on it with success...

~ Mark

They reckon that with age the cables seize up causing the rails to twist slightly and then triggers the anti trap mechanism which puts strain on the motor and so forth.

Hi I had the same problem 1998 Avensis, I took light out removed the electrical connector and wound the roof shut manually where it has been ever since. Cheap fix if you are not too fussed with having a working sunroof.

Spike22

• 1 year later...

Fantastic thread - saved from the wrath of the wife (it's her car I used yesterday)

The opening door trick & ignition worked for me.

Many thanks.... :thumbsup:

Hi,

I had a problem with my moon roof, it tilted and closed but wouldn't slide back, I hadn't read this thread at the time.

I fixed the problem by using a cold pressure washer to clean the felt type rubber seal that goes around the roof glass. I think over time you get green, mossy type build up along with anything else, tree sap, bird lime etc, which makes the seal too tight in the metal roof panel.

I had to get fairly close with the washer jet 3 or 4 inches, in order to clean the muck out, but once I had done this, the roof has worked fine.

Its also worth pressure washing the exterior door window seals aswell, these also get a build up of crap, which again can cause problems with opening or closing.

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links