Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New And Already Need Help!

Ton

Hi guys

After owning an MR2 I decided I needed something more practical(4 seats) so now I've got a gen 6 Celica.

The problem is that I want to replace the Toyota stereo with a Kenwood but the electric aerial doest work when I connect it up.

I took the Kenwood out of my MR2 that had an electric aerial, it worked just fine. I think the problem is that aerial needs to be earthed in order to work but with the Kenwood it sends a power to the aerial instead.

Anybody any idea how to rectify this problem

Thanks

Ton :thumbsup:

the ariel is earthed itself at the back behind the covers.are the leads you using compatable with the celica ??? , mine works fine with Halfords cables.

Yes it worked just fine and I also bought the adaptor to make life easier for myself :blink:

When I put the test lamp in the aerial output with the original stereo it did not light up but with the Kenwood it did.

Ton

so basically the remote aerial wire is connected to the wrong wire at the back of your new stereo. It should supply 12V... if it does then perhaps you have blown a fuse since?

I wouldnt think so because I have used the correct ISO adaptor so it was just a case of plugging it in.

I put the Toyota stereo back in and it worked fine so I havent managed to blow any fuses, yet!!!

I found this on a car audio site:-

Every auto manufacturer uses a

(+) positive electric signal from the radio to the power antenna, EXCEPT Mazda up to 1992. Mazda, instead, used a (-) negative

electric signal to trigger the power antenna. When the radio turned on, the radio would send a (-) negative electric signal to the power

antenna and the power antenna would raise. When the radio or the vehicle was turned off, the electric signal would stop and the power

antenna would lower.

New replacement radios are usually equipped with a blue wire designed to send a low current (usually less than 1 amp) (+) 12 Volt

continual signal to a power antenna. This is opposite of the Mazda power antenna requirement.

In order for a new replacement radio to activate a Mazda power antenna up to 1992, the (+) 12 Volt positive power antenna wire must

be converted to a (-) negative or ground wire in order to make the Mazda power antenna work.

This sounds like the same problem I'm having but I would of expected it to be common knowledge amongst Celica owners.

Thanks

Tony

:lol: if in doubt, ask everywhere - just like moi :thumbsup:

some cars i know ( vauxhalls ) on the Halfords looms, you have to connect red to yellow and yellow to red , dunno if celicas are the same.

I've managed to get it working thanks to some advice and a little research :rolleyes:

The only problem now is the brackets arent a perfect fit for the Kenwood :( Looks like i'm gonna have to make a few alterations unless there is an easier solution???

Thanks for your help

brackets ie- the holes dont line up to those on the head unit, i had to just use 1 screw each side on my sony explode also the front surround grille wont go on , cos the hole in dash is too small , but it still looks the dogs danglies either way.

• 2 weeks later...
:yes: we know , but it wont . :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
I've managed to get it working thanks to some advice and a little research :rolleyes:

The only problem now is the brackets arent a perfect fit for the Kenwood :(  Looks like i'm gonna have to make a few alterations unless there is an easier solution???

Thanks for your help

How did you get the aerial working???? I have the same problem. New Alpine all wired in (1991 Celica convertible) sounds great except no power antenna!!! Please help. I've spent many, many hours trying to resolve this issue without any luck. You seem to be the only person on the entire internet who has had and solved this problem.

Thanks

BobB (email: puritangenesta@cs.com)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links