Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Bulbs

purvesh81

I have a 99-V Avensis..

Does anyone know if its an easy job to replace the bulbs behind the heater controls, if so could you tell me how please?. One of mine has blown behind the fan settings . Also are they the clear 12v wedge style, like those used for the front side lights and on the speedo?

Thanking you in advance for your help,

Purvesh

From memory you first take out the ashtray, then lift up at the bottom of the walnut surround and remove that, pull out the heater control knobs and then unclip the 4 clips holding the front heater control panel. Their are 3 bulbs inside the panel and they are 4mm 12v clear wedge style bulbs but i replaced mine with 3mm 12v blue leds which was a bit of overkill as i had to remove the green filter so had a custom blue filter one made up :thumbsup:

Thanks ken,

I remember you telling me you were in the process of changing the bulbs. I'm thinking of doing the same while it's all out. Do I have to take the headunit out before I pull off the surround?

Do you have any pics of how it looks with it in blue please? I purchased my dash LEDs bulbs from ultraleds.co.uk, will they stock the relevant 3mm 12v blue led bulbs and filter?

Much Appreciated :thumbsup: ,

Purvesh

Do I have to take the headunit out before I pull off the surround?

Do you have any pics of how it looks with it in blue please? I purchased my dash LEDs bulbs from ultraleds.co.uk, will they stock the relevant 3mm 12v blue led bulbs and filter?

No need to take the headunit out but if i remember right it is best to take out the thin bit of trim surrounding it.

Ultraleds stock the 3mm 12v bulbs but the dials and the new heater control panel with a blue filter are custom jobbies from aurora graphics.

Took a couple of pics for you in my garage just now, still daylight but you do see how blue they are :thumbsup:

P9070079.jpg

P9070075.jpg

Wow! :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the pics, top job mate.. it really does set it apart from the standard.

I think I'll take it apart over the weekend, and have a look at whats involved in terms of making up a filter.. I assume the centre dial still shows through red aswell as blue?

Sorry to be a pain, but have you got a link to the exact ones that I could use from Ultraleds. I tried looking for them under 3mm, but there all the type that require soldering, I assume we can use the simple twist type.

I used some from this link for the dashboard:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPa...2e4632d0205a5f8

Many Thanks

Thanks..

The bulbs you've shown are the ones I used behind the mileage and clock (dashboard) - there really bright!! Intially I thought you meant they would be the size that we use on the other areas of the speedo and for the front side lights (normal wedge bulb size- see link below) - good job I didnt order them before asking you!

I thought you had sprayed the heater control panel, dials and surround. Would have never have thought it was card.. :thumbsup:

So I take it, if I simple replace the old bulbs with these new ones, without taking out the green filter behind - it simply won't be bright enough to shine through? i tried this with these bulbs on the speedo and they werent bright enough to get through:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.ph...2e4632d0205a5f8

:)

I thought you had sprayed the heater control panel, dials and surround. Would have never have thought it was card.. :thumbsup:

So I take it, if I simple replace the old bulbs with these new ones, without taking out the green filter behind - it simply won't be bright enough to shine through? i tried this with these bulbs on the speedo and they werent bright enough to get through:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.ph...2e4632d0205a5f8

:)

Sprayed the surround and the knobs but not the panel and your correct in thinking if you just put blue leds behind the control panel that you will still get green showing through as you have found with the speedo.

The speedo and the control panel are both 1 piece plastic cards in silver with blue artwork on and the back of it is a blue filter, i've already had the artwork done so if you wanted them making up then Aurora should charge you about £70 for both pieces :thumbsup:

On the speedo you only need to change the 2 3mm bulbs behind the milage and clock and the 3 10mm bulbs that provide the light around the dials, you could get away without changing the 3 10mm bulbs but i found it made for a better colour blue.

So the bulbs you have will work but only once you have changed the speedo panel but i used single 10mm blue domed leds in the blue plastic holders instead.

I'd be interested in changing the speedo front artwork and hence have blue bulbs all round.

I've had the speedo out to change three bulbs, mileage, clock and ECONO light - all to blue. Sorry I'm not very technical on this, but I'm not sure where or how the filter works behind the unit, to allow green light to shine through. I understand that you had new templates placed over the original, but wouldn't this reduce the amount of light coming through even more!? Plus I've only had the clear front of the speedo off to adjust the temperature - from behind it's got a warranty seal etc :huh: Same applies to the heater control - never had that out, so I'm not sure on how to remove the filter. Would I be able to just remove this filter and replace with blue bulbs?

Top man :thumbsup:

Remove the clear front off the speedo, then remove the plastic surround around the dials then you will see what i'm on about as it is all 1 card :thumbsup:

Once your new dials have arrived gently pull off the needles, take off the old dials, pop on the new one and replace the needles, this card is a replacement not something you pop over the old ones so the blue shines through :yes:

Only one thing for it matey, whats there number! :thumbsup:

Hows does the filter work on the heater control panel?? :hokus-pokus:

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

I was brave and took the job on over the weekend! :yes:

I just changed all three for the normal bulbs from toyota till I can get the details from the other company. I see how it all works now - sorry I was a bit slow before!

Boy the dials were so tough to get off - I nearly gave up.. :ffs:

Thanks again for the info.

No worries mate, thanks for the number - I'll give them a ring! :D

I assume they provided you with a complete new front card/panel for the heater control (including clips which mount onto the main unit)?

I noticed the green plastic inside the heater dials, did you just remove these, or replace them with equivalent blue ones? :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

Does anybody there know how to change the gear shift indicator bulb on a '98/S-reg 2.O GLS automatic? The problem seems to be to get the one-piece plastic moulding around the handbrake/gear shift/CD storage box out of the way without wrecking all the fixings.

The local Toyota garage say they've never had to do this job, so their guess is as good as mine...

Thanks in advance for any illumination you can provide!

No worries mate, thanks for the number - I'll give them a ring! :D

I assume they provided you with a complete new front card/panel for the heater control (including clips which mount onto the main unit)?

I noticed the green plastic inside the heater dials, did you just remove these, or replace them with equivalent blue ones? :thumbsup:

They provide you with a new heater control panel, you peel off the old one and glue the new one in place, it's the same stuff as what they make the dials out off :thumbsup:

I've just removed the green bits inside the dials until i work out how to replace them for now :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '01 Avensis 2.0D4.

Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs behind the heater controls - surrounded by "wood imitation" (behind the fan settings)?

I've detached the middle-console , but wires from built in CD-player and LCD tuner doesn't allow to pull out the console and get access to the bulbs...

Thanking you in advance for any help,

Mike

• 3 years later...

What I was wondering is do i have to get off the surroundingspanel to get off heater control panel? I have taken off control knobs but the control panel doesn't seem to be getting out. Any response will be appreciated. If im lucky enough that Ken sees the post: Ken can u please post pics of steps it takes to get those light bulbs replaced. Thanks in advance :)

Ken wrote:

From memory you first take out the ashtray, then lift up at the bottom of the walnut surround and remove that, pull out the heater control knobs and then unclip the 4 clips holding the front heater control panel. Their are 3 bulbs inside the panel and they are 4mm 12v clear wedge style bulbs...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

My car is 2003 avensis terra... Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs behind the heater controls and AC control? I have take away the thing surrounding gearstick... i mean the thing where ashray is. But i don`t know how to go futher...

Thanks and sorry my bad english.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links