Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Xt3 Petrol. New 2004

Gerry 2

I am getting 30 to 34 mpg depending on conditions. (I am happy with this)

However my display tells me I am getting 44-49 MPG which is clearly silly.

The garage says it is a display unit fault, they have changed it twice, and want to change it again. (that would mean four units with same fault) don't think so!

I suspect it must be a fuel flow sensor not functioning correctly.

Neither the garage or Toyota technical department seem to have any idea what to do. Any ideas on this problem much appreciated. Does anyone know how fuel flow is monitored?

I have had two previous Toyotas where the actual and indicated MPG were spot on... :help:

Regards G2.

Not a clue i'm sorry to say , although i can say welcome to the TOC, you've made a great choice in motor :) .

I've got a new xt3 too and mine does the same. If I'm driving carefully on the flat I get 40-45mpg. But down hill I can get 99mpg :)

I've got a new xt3 too and mine does the same. If I'm driving carefully on the flat I get 40-45mpg. But down hill I can get 99mpg :)

Bob thanks for the welcome---

Djsmail, The 99mpg is normal when running light.

What is your actual mpg?

What is the reading on your Average MPG indicator?

Gerry 2.

the 99 must be on the real time display its when the engine isnt under load. my father gets it on it NRG and i get it on my Yaris. the average MPG display usually reads about 30-34 for him (and in my yaris i get less but thats through lead leg) :thumbsup:

I have got an rav 4 XT3 1 month old. I am currnetly getting 36.9 mpg on mine really pleased with it great car.

Craigy, Is that 36.9 average mpg read out--or calculated?

G2.

Hmmm, my average is recorded as about 39MPG. That's based on my 36 mile round trip to work which is mainly flat straight A road where I average 50 miles per hour and then a slow 15 minute crawl through town for 2 miles.

I agree that 39MPG seems rather too good to be true. My last car was a freelander TD4 (diesel) with a combined average of 40MPG (according to official stats). I used to put £20 of fuel into it in a normal week and am putting an average of £23 into the RAV.

Dave

G2.

Yeah that is the Average 36.9 it was 38 but we have been going faster the more we get used to it. Nearly done 1000 miles now

G2.

Yeah that is the Average 36.9 it was 38 but we have been going faster the more we get used to it. Nearly done 1000 miles now

Craigy, when you next fill up. Zero your A trip meter. When you fill up after that, make a careful note of your trip reading. Convert your litres to gallons-and divide into the mileage. This will give you an accurate mpg. You can then compare it to your MPG display. It would be a good idea to zero the average MPG display at the same time as the A trip. Just hold your finger on the button and it will zero.

You will then have an accurate check to what is and what is displayed.

That's if you havn't done this already. :D :D

Toyota have e/m me today to say they are still looking at the problem.

They will not give me a technical contact--but say I can ring their technical dept at premium rate. The !Removed! cheek of these people. They have been sat on this problem for eleven months now. It's not exactly rocket science is it. I told them if they will send me the circuits I will diagnose the fault for them--but they wont!!!

I am getting rapidly sick of their attitude... :angry:

G 2.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gerry

I have a 2004 Xt4 which has exactly the same problem, have you had any sensible response yet from Toyota ?

My car shows average MPG from 36 to 42 when its actually 28 to 35 (calculated)

Rgds

Ian

Hi Gerry

I have a 2004 Xt4 which has exactly the same problem, have you had any sensible response yet from Toyota ?

My car shows average MPG from 36 to 42 when its actually 28 to 35 (calculated)

Rgds

Ian

Ian, no sense at all from Toyota. They obviously have no idea what to do.

My error seems to be far greater than yours, mine is a 30% error. My average mpg sometimes reads 48 mpg. I have given up now... :angry::angry:

My calculated is about the same as yours 35 max.

Still it's a great car.

Regards Gerry.

As this problem is very common, I suspect its a simple software bug in the radio head unit. My logic is that is any of the major fuel sensors were that far out of calibration, the ECU for the engine would get the same faulty information and the car would run badly. (I very much doubt its a separate sensor)

I bet someone has put the wrong conversion parameter in the software.

Now we just need to get someone at Toyota to recognise the problem and provide a new software update (Assuming you can flash the head unit with new code)

See how far into the 3 year warranty I can get before its fixed.

On the positive side the MPG impresses my friends :P

Rgds

Ian

As this problem is very common, I suspect its a simple software bug in the radio head unit.  My logic is that is any of the major fuel sensors were that far out of calibration, the ECU for the engine would get the same faulty information and the car would run badly. (I very much doubt its a separate sensor)

I bet someone has put the wrong conversion parameter in the software.

Now we just need to get someone at Toyota to recognise the problem and provide a new software update (Assuming you can flash the head unit with new code)

See how far into the 3 year warranty I can get before its fixed.

On the positive side the MPG impresses my friends  :P

Rgds

Ian

Ian, Well maybe you are right, but I was given to understand that there is a seperate flow sensor. I did also suggest the wrong wheel size could have been entered. I have not received an answer to my last letter to Toyota, (think they are fed up with me) :rolleyes:

It is eleven months now since I raised this matter with them.

Have you been in touch with Toyota?

Regards Gerry.

Hi Gerry,

No, I have not yet spoken to Toyota.

Soon after I bought the car in June I spoke with another owner who had the same problem so I suspected a software fault and just ignored it.

I was planning to raise it at its first service, as its just a minor irritation.

Rgds

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Oct 2004 Rav4 d4d, The average fuel consumption is usually 40+ mpg since this is what Toyota quoted I assumed it was correct. Perhaps I should calculate it manually.

I have an Oct 2004 Rav4 d4d,  The average fuel consumption is usually 40+ mpg since this is what Toyota quoted I assumed it was correct.  Perhaps I should calculate it manually.

Hi Nick--I think that is probably correct for a diesel. Always a good idea to check

with a calculator for a dead accurate indication though...

Regards Gerry. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Oct 2004 Rav4 d4d,  The average fuel consumption is usually 40+ mpg since this is what Toyota quoted I assumed it was correct.  Perhaps I should calculate it manually.

Hi Nick--I think that is probably correct for a diesel. Always a good idea to check

with a calculator for a dead accurate indication though...

Regards Gerry. ;)

I have a 1 month old Rav 4 XT3 and the average reding started at 36.9 although I was told by the deaker that this would change after a few 'fill-ups' of the tank. Have now done 1500 miles and the read-out seems to have settled at around 35.5-ish. I'm not convinced of its accuracy though as I only seem to get around 320 miles to a tank of fuel.

Cheers

John

I have a 1 month old Rav 4 XT3 and the average reding started at 36.9 although I was told by the deaker that this would change after a few 'fill-ups' of the tank. Have now done 1500 miles and the read-out seems to have settled at around 35.5-ish. I'm not convinced of its accuracy though as I only seem to get around 320 miles to a tank of fuel.

Hi John is that Petrol or Diesel ?

Hi John is that Petrol or Diesel ?

It's petrol. My last car was an Audi A4 and that returned around 30mpg so I'm going in the right direction....love the Rav 4 though.

John

:D Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd join the forum as I picked up my new Rav4 from the dealers this morning. I'm really pleased with it :thumbsup: The average fuel consumption on the hundred mile plus run back was indicated on the display as 35.8mpg (2.0vvti).

All the best.

:D  Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd join the forum as I picked up my new Rav4 from the dealers this morning. I'm really pleased with it  :thumbsup: The average fuel consumption on the hundred mile plus run back was indicated on the display as 35.8mpg (2.0vvti).

All the best.

Casper that is excellent if it is accurate. Do a manual check. Let us know what the actual mpg is--when you have done a few more miles...

Hope you enjoy your RAV. :D :D

Regards Gerry.

Hi,

My petrol XT3 manual always displayed impressive (but totally unbelievable!!!) average MPG readings, so over the past couple of months I have been calculating actual MPG and comparing this to the displayed average MPG. The displayed average can be anything from 38MPG to in excess of 44MPG, but when calculated the actual is always in the region of 30/31MPG (UK Gal) - which is a much more believable figure!!! Now I just ignore the MPG display and accept the fact that the vehicle does 30MPG.

I used to drive a GTI Golf, and interestingly the indicated MPG was always approx the same as the calculated MPG. Makes you wonder what Toyota has managed to do wrong here!!!

Regards,

Gary

Gary, I understand that Toyota are bringing out a new display unit which they claim will cure this problem :rolleyes: Guess we will just have to wait and see :P ;)

Gerry.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links