Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Full Screen Nav System

mooranger

:bookworm: Has anyone fitted one of the full screen Camry navigation systems to their Rav yet? I know the unit fits into the hole that the stock radio goes into (on a 2000 on model at least), and a company in the US sells a kit that includes an amp etc, but I am keen to know how easy it is to put in. There is a wire that needs to connect to a speed and reverse/neutral sensor wire somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Any experience of this would be appreciated.

:bookworm: Has anyone fitted one of the full screen Camry navigation systems to their Rav yet?  I know the unit fits into the hole that the stock radio goes into (on a 2000 on model at least), and a company in the US sells a kit that includes an amp etc, but I am keen to know how easy it is to put in.  There is a wire that needs to connect to a speed and reverse/neutral sensor wire somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Any experience of this would be appreciated.

Try looking on http://www.satnavigation.com/vbulletin/index.php they have several lists for speed pulse cable locations on a variety of models.

Many thanks Rong - apparently the speed pulse for a Rav is on the loom at the radio connector which is ideal - let's hope that's correct.

I have read on an Aussie Rav site that the Australian nav DVD does not work in the latest US nav unit - does anyone know if the UK DVD will work in this unit? Thanks

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps, but I see that the new XT-5 model has full-screen satnav. I'm not familiar with the unit you're planning on fitting, but the system from the Corolla should work...

It is possible that they "regionalise" the units mush as they do with DVD players...

Hope this helps,

Alan

I have read on an Aussie Rav site that the Australian nav DVD does not work in the latest US nav unit - does anyone know if the UK DVD will work in this unit? Thanks

A bit of a risk to take to buy one of those US Toyota SatNav DVD headunit , At guess you are looking at maybe www.oemvalue.com or maybe on eBay. As you say there was that Aussie poster on RAV4OZ.com that found that the Aussie SatNav DVD discs would not work in this North American SatNav Unit. My guess is that it would be the same and not work either, Probably the same problem the Toyota SatNav DVD Disc from Toyota Europe would not work in the North American Toyota SatNav headunit. Other slight issue is that FM frequency spacing is different in the US from Europe so you will have problems tuning to radio stations.

Where ever you have seen this North American headunit I would email them and ask, As it fair bit if of money to hand over if it fails to work.

Scott

Thanks Scott - good point about the freq spacing as I hadn't thought of that. I think I'm going to wait for the XT5 unit to appear and find the stock number from Toyota, then compare it with the US unit. I use TomTom3 at the moment as a navigator package on my iPaq and it's excellent - I just like the look of the full screen unit though.

• 2 weeks later...
:bookworm: Has anyone fitted one of the full screen Camry navigation systems to their Rav yet?  I know the unit fits into the hole that the stock radio goes into (on a 2000 on model at least), and a company in the US sells a kit that includes an amp etc, but I am keen to know how easy it is to put in.  There is a wire that needs to connect to a speed and reverse/neutral sensor wire somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Any experience of this would be appreciated.

Yes I have fitted one of the new Sat Nav DVD units into my RAV 4 took 5 mins and works a treat it even has the ETA, I bought bought it brand new on eBay for 480 quid, don't worry about fitting the speed sensor connector it works fine without it all you need to connect is the 10 & 6 block connectors from the Toyota loom. My next project is to fit the reversing camera which can also be picked up on eBay for around 20 quid and requires just two wires on the 4 pin connector to work. Next year I will be fitting an external DVD player a company in the states http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm have developed an interface unfortunatley it only supports NTSC at the moment but I'm working on developing my own.

Hope this helps

Yes I have fitted one of the new Sat Nav DVD units into my RAV 4 took 5 mins and works a treat it even has the ETA, I bought bought it brand new on Ebay for 480 quid, don't worry about fitting the speed sensor connector it works fine without it all you need to connect is the 10 & 6 block connectors from the Toyota loom. My next project is to fit the reversing camera which can also be picked up on Ebay for around 20 quid and requires just two wires on the 4 pin connector to work. Next year I will be fitting an external DVD player a company in the states  http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm have developed an interface unfortunatley it only supports NTSC at the moment but I'm working on developing my own.

Hope this helps

Hi, You say you bought it on eBay - what did it come with altogether????? Any pics would be great :-)

Rich

Yes I have fitted one of the new Sat Nav DVD units into my RAV 4 took 5 mins and works a treat it even has the ETA, I bought bought it brand new on Ebay for 480 quid, don't worry about fitting the speed sensor connector it works fine without it all you need to connect is the 10 & 6 block connectors from the Toyota loom. My next project is to fit the reversing camera which can also be picked up on Ebay for around 20 quid and requires just two wires on the 4 pin connector to work. Next year I will be fitting an external DVD player a company in the states  http://www.coastaletech.com/video_preview.htm have developed an interface unfortunatley it only supports NTSC at the moment but I'm working on developing my own.

Hope this helps

Hi, You say you bought it on eBay - what did it come with altogether????? Any pics would be great :-)

Rich

Hi Rich,

I haven't checked today but there was one on there last week I noticed which went for 450GPB. It came complete with Head Unit which has the incorporated DVD drive the 04/05 DVD map of Europe and the GPS antenna.

2d_1_b.JPG

Hope this helps

Rich

Hi Rich,

I haven't checked today but there was one on there last week I noticed which went for 450GPB. It came complete with Head Unit which has the incorporated DVD drive the 04/05 DVD map of Europe and the GPS antenna.

2d_1_b.JPG

Cool - I assume its this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5736347949&rd=1

Its looks good I have to say......and seems to be plug and play too - which is handy!!!!!!! Maybe a Chrimbo present to myself....Hmmmmmm

Hope this helps

Rich

Hi Rich,

2d_1_b.JPG

Cool - I assume its this guy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5736347949&rd=1

Its looks good I have to say......and seems to be plug and play too - which is handy!!!!!!! Maybe a Chrimbo present to myself....Hmmmmmm

This unit really does everything, no remote controls just touch the screen, you can setup memos just like a personal organiser, its lists resturants with an icon on the map just touch the icon the address and phone no comes up it will guide you straight to it, this is the same for many points of interest golf clubs, garages hotels you name it and it covers the whole of europe with the same type of information. Even automatically tells you of traffic jams and reguides you. This unit has to be one of the best in the market place...

This unit really does everything, no remote controls just touch the screen, you can setup memos just like a personal organiser, its lists resturants with an icon on the map just touch the icon the address and phone no comes up it will guide you straight to it, this is the same for many points of interest golf clubs, garages hotels you name it and it covers the whole of europe with the same type of information. Even automatically tells you of traffic jams and reguides you. This unit has to be one of the best in the market place...

God....very tempting!!!!! Rowena, I assume you are in the UK. You say that it tells you about traffic???? Are you saying it uses TMS then??? I did not think this was working in the UK??

How far does the unit slide down when inserting disks???? I have the phone cradle on the left hand side of the stereo, and wonder if it is going to cause a problem hitting it!!!!!

I have contacted the eBay guy to ask a few questions, so awaiting a response :-)

Did you connect the external GPS - or did you use the internal one?????

Sorry for all the questions..... <giggle>

Rich

Rowena.....

Some more questions I'm afraid. On the current stock stereo if gives you some fuel information - is this on this unit too??

Also, the steering wheel controls, do they still function????

I am waiting for the guy to email me the manual

Thanks

Rich

God....very tempting!!!!! Rowena, I assume you are in the UK. You say that it tells you about traffic???? Are you saying it uses TMS then??? I did not think this was working in the UK??

How far does the unit slide down when inserting disks???? I have the phone cradle on the left hand side of the stereo, and wonder if it is going to cause a problem hitting it!!!!!

I have contacted the eBay guy to ask a few questions, so awaiting a response :-)

Did you connect the external GPS - or did you use the internal one?????

Sorry for all the questions..... <giggle>

Rich

It definately gives you traffic reports, you see a warning road traffic sign appear on the road you touch the screen on it it tells you about the jam, if you have the voice guidance on it will tell you there is a jam ahead and would you like to be re-routed. ( I live in the London area so yes its great)

The whole front LCD display comes down flat at a 90 deg angle to the dash if you use a dash mount bracket to the side of the double DIN unit then it will clear just fine. Not sure I fully understand the GPS question, if you mean did I have to connect an external TNS 300 to it, no the unit is self contained with an internal DVD drive for the map and the antenna can be fitted just to the rear of the unit inside the dash and picks up a good signal without any problems.

Ok, thanks for the answers.

Unit ordered, and on the way. Will do installation pictures etc once it arrives, and I find an hour spare to get it fitted. :eek:

Thanks

Rich :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Rowena, I've been sent the manuals for the unit from the seller, but it doesn't say if it will work with the Toyota CD changer. Do you know if it will control a changer as well?

TIA

Hope this helps

Rowena, I've been sent the manuals for the unit from the seller, but it doesn't say if it will work with the Toyota CD changer. Do you know if it will control a changer as well?

TIA

On the back of the Sat Nav head unit is a black 12 pin connector socket - I believe this is for the CD changer option - you might need to check this with a dealer if you can also look at the rear of your current audio unit and see if the CD unit is connected to this socket if it is then it should work the same.

On the back of the Sat Nav head unit is a black 12 pin connector socket - I believe this is for the CD changer option - you might need to check this with a dealer if you can also look at the rear of your current audio unit and see if the CD unit is connected to this socket if it is then it should work the same.

Thank you :D

All,

For those that have fitted this - where are you placed the GPS receiver?????? I attached mine to the back of the unit, but this then failed to pick up a signal???? Hence its all sat on top of the dash whilst I find a better location. The cable from the GPS to the Sat Unit is rather short!!!!! If anyone has a picture, then please post!

Rich

All,

For those that have fitted this - where are you placed the GPS receiver?????? I attached mine to the back of the unit, but this then failed to pick up a signal???? Hence its all sat on top of the dash whilst I find a better location. The cable from the GPS to the Sat Unit is rather short!!!!! If anyone has a picture, then please post!

Rich

Where are you placed the GPS receiver????? What does that mean?

I can quite easily see how it could be fitted up side down - remember mirror side up, I've fitted mine to the pipe that runs behind the audio unit with a cable tie and I receive a strong signal at all times. I think it would be unsightly and a pain to stick it on the dashboard. All the Toyota range with factory sat nav have it mounted out of sight.

All,

Rich

Where are you placed the GPS receiver????? What does that mean?

I can quite easily see how it could be fitted up side down - remember mirror side up, I've fitted mine to the pipe that runs behind the audio unit with a cable tie and I receive a strong signal at all times. I think it would be unsightly and a pain to stick it on the dashboard. All the Toyota range with factory sat nav have it mounted out of sight.

Sorry should have said "WHERE HAVE YOU PLACED THE GPS ANTENNA".

Anyway, I have mounted mine now above the above the air vents over the stereo (See attached), then dropped the cable down to the back of the unit.

It then took a good 20-30 mins before the GPS really kicked in, but seemed fine after that!

post-14212-1103645695_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links