Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.8 Vvt-i Known Engine Issue

tubaman

Just bought a July 2002 Avensis 1.8 VVT-i SR and I really like it.

Just come across the TOC and various posts regarding early failure of the above engine due to very high oil usage (1 ltr/4000 miles).

I`ve just been given a 12 month warranty by my local main dealer (original warranty topped up for additional 6 months).

What I was thinking of doing is writing to Toyota GB direct & asking them for an extension on my existing warranty - what do you think ?

Also:-

As long as I keep oil level topped up, is it likely to go on for 100K+ ? (I normally use Mobil 1 but suppose this will be a waste of time on this engine)

What have other members done about the problem (assuming they are aware of the problem) ?

ANY sensible reccomendations would be appreciated.

Just come across the TOC and various posts regarding early failure of the above engine due to very high oil usage (1 ltr/4000 miles).

Is one litre of oil per 4000 miles 'high oil usage'? From what I've read these engines don't fail because of high oil consumption, they fail because owners don't check the oil once a week.

Also you don't know how the previous owner treated the engine so you may not be able to tell whether there's existing heavy wear there already. A full Toyota service history is reassuring though. Has the car got one? Has it done more than 10,000 miles a year since new?

As to using synthetic oils, there's a load of information here:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

The general consensus is that that changing oil & filter evey 5000 miles is ok, 10000 miles with synthetics is a good interval, or just having the vehicle serviced at your Toyota dealer on the schedule is ok too. I have used synthetics in Toyota engines and there are noticable benefits - slightly more power being one of them - the downside is the expense and time involved.

Will your Avensis reach 100,000 miles? We all hope so, but if you're not the original owner, you can only guess. I would have thought a six month extension on the warranty is quite good. But by all means write to Toyota, and keep us informed!

Oh, and postscript to the last, which may or may not be relevant, I knew a taxi driver who had a Ford Orion petrol which had 210,000 miles on the clock. The owner had it from new, changed the oil and filter every 6000 miles. The engine was in great shape, but the car had got through six clutches , four starter motors, two suspension refits and six exhausts.. It had used EIGHT batteries in that time too. I also knew a bike instructor who had a Yamaha TDM 800 motorcycle. That had 145,000 miles on the clock, with standard oil changes at 6000 miles. and was in use six days a week, all day. Both these guys used standard motor oil.

Me? I use synthetic where I can, or regular servicing by Toyota where I can't.

But you can't tell what you're buying. I had two year old VW Scirroco (Golf Engine) which burnt a litre of oil every 1000 miles and blew out blue smoke on the overrun. The car had just 48,000 miles on it. Turned out to be worn valve stem seals - cost to repair? £600.00

I`ve just been given a 12 month warranty by my local main dealer (original warranty topped up for additional 6 months).

What I was thinking of doing is writing to Toyota GB direct & asking them for an extension on my existing warranty - what do you think ?

As long as I keep oil level topped up, is it likely to go on for 100K+ ? (I normally use Mobil 1 but suppose this will be a waste of time on this engine)

What have other members done about the problem (assuming they are aware of the problem) ?

hi, i've bought a 1.8 vvti 2001 and am in the same situation(losing oil ). i got my car from toyota dealer in cardiff with full 12 month warranty, they're checking it for me on wed(8th). i'll let you know how i get on. other than that it's a !Removed! good car!!! loads of extras like sat nav, cd etc....

hi, i've bought a 1.8 vvti 2001 and am in the same situation(losing oil ). i got my car from toyota dealer in cardiff with full 12 month warranty, they're checking it for me on wed(8th). i'll let you know how i get on. other than that it's a !Removed! good car!!! loads of extras like sat nav, cd etc....

Timbo41. And your comment is......

JUST KEEP THE OIL TOPPED UP

I have the Avensis 1.8 vvti and did not notice heavy oil consumption until a few months ago. Coolant is as green as my wifes eyes so no leakage from piston rings to cooling system. Dunno why but keeping a keen eye out. Otherwise engine is a peach ;)

I have the Avensis 1.8 vvti and did not notice heavy oil consumption until a few months ago.  Coolant is as green as my wifes eyes so no leakage from piston rings to cooling system.  Dunno why but keeping a keen eye out.  Otherwise engine is a peach ;)

I have the Avensis 1.8 vvti and did not notice heavy oil consumption until a few months ago.  Coolant is as green as my wifes eyes so no leakage from piston rings to cooling system.  Dunno why but keeping a keen eye out.  Otherwise engine is a peach ;)

I have had the oil "problem" fixed once and it has recurred. The car is using a litre of oil every 1,000 yes ONE thousand miles yet we are told this is normal?? All this talk about "keep getting it serviced by Toyota" is a nonsense surely....given the interval is 10,000 miles- if you wait this long you will have run dry three times over

I have had the oil "problem" fixed once and it has recurred. The car is using a litre of oil every 1,000 yes ONE thousand miles yet we are told this is normal?? All this talk about "keep getting it serviced by Toyota" is a nonsense surely....given the interval is 10,000 miles- if you wait this long you will have run dry three times over

EVERY 1000 MILES !!!

Break the nose of anyone that says thats normal. What is normal is to top up the oil level between services but every 1000 miles is ridiculous.

Ask for a replacement engine if it's under warranty. (could be loads of things is the coolant green or black?)

damn right.seems toyota in cardiff are reluctant to do anything at the mo', other than to tip it up!!

if it carries on losing oil, i'll insist on a refit.if only we can stick together on this!!!!

EVERY 1000 MILES !!!

Break the nose of anyone that says thats normal. What is normal is to top up the oil level between services but every 1000 miles is ridiculous.

Ask for a replacement engine if it's under warranty. (could be loads of things is the coolant green or black?)

:eek: **** 'em..toyota in cardiff are all ignorant ubiks.........so **** em

damn right.seems toyota in cardiff are reluctant to do anything at the mo', other than to tip it up!!

if it carries on losing oil, i'll insist on a refit.if only we can stick together on this!!!!

EVERY 1000 MILES !!!

:D

Timbo41. And your comment is......

we don't need to now twice about your flippin car yeah! you have written out the same story two times! try and get rid of the other one it is boring reading the same thing again

• 1 month later...

I have just had a brand new engine fitted free by the dealer. I had to kick up a massive fuss with the manufacturer, but it was worth it. Heaven knows how much this would have cost. And heaven knows why they faffed about for months doing the head gasket twice and fixing oil leaks all over the place and telling me to keep putting the entire oil reserves of Western Europe into the sump every 2 weeks.

Anyway, its done. They wont give me any paperwork. And you know those phonecalls you often get at the end of a warranty asking if u would like to extend?? Well, I have not had any. My guess is they know its a dog. So, be persistant, take it direct to Toyota UK and good luck.

Thanks for keeping us informed - please let us all know if the problem recurs !

• 1 month later...
I have just had a brand new engine fitted free by the dealer. I had to kick up a massive fuss with the manufacturer, but it was worth it. Heaven knows how much this would have cost. And heaven knows why they faffed about for months doing the head gasket twice and fixing oil leaks all over the place and telling me to keep putting the entire oil reserves of Western Europe into the sump every 2 weeks.

Anyway, its done. They wont give me any paperwork. And you know those phonecalls you often get at the end of a warranty asking if u would like to extend?? Well, I have not had any. My guess is they know its a dog. So, be persistant, take it direct to Toyota UK and good luck.

I have a Toyota Avensis 1.8VVTI GLS and the engine blew up last year. I had to pay £2600 for a new engine because they said I had invalidated the warranty by missing a service. Do you think it is worth trying to claim some money back. At the time I did not know there was a problem with the engine (oil burning). I was told it was because I had neglected my car by missing one of the 10,00 mile services.

Let me know what you think??

thanks for this post lads, bought an avensis last month, check the oil this evening..... jus above min..... thank you again....BTW what oil do i need?? i topped up with mobil1, ut a mate told me it's too thin ??????

called me mate in TOYOTA yesterday, he was told (by his master technician) to keep using 5W30, but you could use 10W40

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links