Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

American Hi-lux

Rookey

Howdy!

I'm trying to find out what the Hi-Lux is called over in the states as I am quite interested in seeing what some people have done to them on cardomain.com but have no idea as to what they are called ..

Anyone know?

Also, if anyone has any modified hi-lux pics, either hi-rider or low-rider :) post away!hehe

Dave

I don't think they sell it in the States - its too small or something!

You do get the Tundra though - its the pickup Arnie drove in T3 and looks a lot like the Hilux.

There's also the Tacoma, but I can't remember which is bigger.

More info here:- http://www.toyota.com/

Hope that helps,

Alan

Toyota make the coolest off roaders :D I want me a Mega-Cruiser :lol::thumbsup:

Cheers guys :)

I think the Tundra is the closest I can find .. I know they are used as low-riders over there and I think they look awesome, but no one seems to do it in the UK .. the only modifications I can find for them are alloys, bull bars, and sills!lol

• 4 weeks later...
Howdy!

I'm trying to find out what the Hi-Lux is called over in the states as I am quite interested in seeing what some people have done to them on cardomain.com but have no idea as to what they are called ..

Anyone know?

Also, if anyone has any modified hi-lux pics, either hi-rider or low-rider :) post away!hehe

Dave

The Hilux is virtually the same truck as what we call the Toyota Tacoma here. The Tacoma has just been redesigned this year, so the newer model is slightly larger than the standard-sized Hilux, but any Tacoma before 2005 model year is more or less the same vehicle. The main difference being the powertrain. We have 3.4 and 4.0 liter V6's that I don't think you get there and we, rather unfortunately, do not have a diesel option.

The Tundra is a "full-size" truck, which means it's about 90% the size of the beheamoth American pickup trucks, the likes of which you would rarely see in the UK or Europe because they are completely impractical as a daily driver. Not that that stops American cowboy-types desperate to prove their masculinity from jacking them sky high on tractor tires and driving 3 inches from your back window on the highway.

You're looking for the Tacoma, though.

hope that helps.

Get in Touch with Stevetubbyturbo Rooky mate, He has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to modding the Hi-Lux :thumbsup:

There are so many things you can do to a Lux without braking the bank the list is almost endless everything from uping the boost with a couple of 12mm washer (2.4 and 3.0 litre engines only) to monster truck conversions that cost ££££ it all depends on how far you want to go and finances really.

Well I was looking at going the other way and dropping it to a car's ride height ..

Basically, As there aren't many hi-lux's about, I want to go completely crazy on it!hehe

I hear that in the states, they have had a guy drop a supra lump in there and connected it to the 4WD transmission .. something similar to what I want to do! :D

Funny that you were saying that you want to lower as Richard K showed me yesterday in a mag he had of a kit to lower and stiffen up the suspension maybe worth a PM to him and ask the name of the company.

As for the Supra lump going in anything is possible as long as it will fit in the space left by the old engine.

HTH

Brilliant :)

Do you know in your wealth of knowledge if there would be any problems being bolting it to the 4WD transmission?

never done one so couldnt comment but if the bolt holes line up or you can have a bell housing made up and find a clutch to fit dont see a problem.

The other thing to take into account is the Hilux is not a permanent four wheel drive and as the older ones had no center diff (and i dont think the newer ones did either)you can only use four wheel drive on the slippy stuff if you use it on tarmac you will get transmission whined up and at worst blow the transmission (expensive)

The other thing to take into account is the Hilux is not a permanent four wheel drive and as the older ones had no center diff (and i dont think the newer ones did either)you can only use four wheel drive on the slippy stuff if you use it on tarmac you will get transmission whined up and at worst blow the transmission (expensive)

Oh thats bad ..

So is it a selectable 4WD then?

What is actually the difference between using it on or off road?

I'm starting to wonder if the whole GT4 set up would work :-/

there are two seclections on the four wheel drive when on mud you just click in the botton on the side of the transmission selector stick and thats four wheel drive high.

When mud hill climbing and on loose rock when you need loads of torque you push the stick forwards and thats four wheel drive low.

but for a constant four wheel drive on tarmac or hard surface you will have to have a centre diff or it will break the transmission due to whined up.

so for a GT4 set up i dont think the Hilux would be a suitable vehicle as on road its rear wheel drive only.

Also i dont know a lot about the Supra engine but it would have to create a hell of alot of torque to move the Hilux as they are very heavy mines a 2.4 td and mine creates 240 NM at 2500 rpm and the 3.0 td creates 290 NM at 2400rpm but they also made a 3.5 V6 petrol (i dont know the stats on then never had much to do with them) which had loads of torque so.

What you want to do could be done but you would have to do a lot of work like making new brackets for power steering ect ect and have to have a centre diff fitted.

(Sorry i made a mistake on the torque ft/lbs should have been NM but have amended now sorry)

You do get 2wd Hilux (I think that's the plural :unsure: ) and you could start with one of them instead - surely that would make the whole project somewhat easier?

A

Hi iam replying to your ad American hilux I have modified a good few hiluxes I just recently imported my personal one from SA which brings me to join the club I stripped a 1998 Toy S upra and build the almost entire vehicle into the hilux so as a result this twin turbo manual 6 speed is rather quick i would like to get into shows with it as far as i no it is the only one in the world let me no can be contacted on bluezoom64@hotmail.com cheers Wayne

Hi iam replying to your ad American hilux I have modified a good few hiluxes I just recently imported my personal one from SA which brings me to join the club I stripped a 1998 Toy S upra and build the almost entire vehicle into the hilux so as a result this twin turbo manual 6 speed is rather quick i would like to get into shows with it as far as i no it is the only one in the world  let  me no can be contacted on bluezoom64@hotmail.com cheers Wayne

Hey man, tell me more :)

Hi iam replying to your ad American hilux I have modified a good few hiluxes I just recently imported my personal one from SA which brings me to join the club I stripped a 1998 Toy S upra and build the almost entire vehicle into the hilux so as a result this twin turbo manual 6 speed is rather quick i would like to get into shows with it as far as i no it is the only one in the world  let  me no can be contacted on bluezoom64@hotmail.com cheers Wayne

Is it a pick up or Surf be really smart if its a pick up send pics so i can :drool:

Well glad to no Some people app the legend hilux . I am toyota trained tech and have been doing conversions for around 10 years have had various engines fitted such as 7mge 7mgte supra and now 2jzgte twin turbo i am currently living in Peterborough in the village Wittering

Well glad to no Some people app the legend hilux . I am toyota trained tech and have been doing conversions for around 10 years have had various engines fitted such as 7mge 7mgte supra and now 2jzgte twin turbo i am currently living in Peterborough in the village Wittering

Your only 10 mile from me mate we have to meet up and talk Hilux

Yes mate it is a pick up truck 2wd low rider double cab . will get some pics and post them on site

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links