Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locking Wheel Nuts

breezer

Right

if you buy a brand new car with no alloys on, they usually dont come with locking wheel nuts. usually its just nuts.

if you buy alloys, how much does it cost to get locking wheel nuts fitted onto the car at a garage?

thanks

:)

locking wheel nuts range between £12 to £35 for Toyotas and most places will kindly fit them for free.

Yeh just make sure you ask, normally comes with. Got my alloys with free locking nuts was on the bill for £12.50, but was included in the price anyway.

Got mine for £15, you will prob have to get TSW ones breezer, think they are thinner.

im not just on about them! because on my yaris, it didnt come with alloys, just standard steel wheels! therefore only had studs and nuts to go on them (as usual)

when i bought alloys i got locking wheel nuts and bolts! but how am i supposed to fit a bolt in if a stud is there? Because, isnt a locking wheel nut an actual bolt?

thats what im on about, not just how much the actual items will cost, how to get my disks set up so i can get them put in?

im not just on about them! because on my yaris, it didnt come with alloys, just standard steel wheels! therefore only had studs and nuts to go on them (as usual)

when i bought alloys i got locking wheel nuts and bolts! but how am i supposed to fit a bolt in if a stud is there? Because, isnt a locking wheel nut an actual bolt?

thats what im on about, not just how much the actual items will cost, how to get my disks set up so i can get them put in?

You mean when you brought those alloys you changed your studs????

You got the alloys off eBay didnt you? So did I. The guy didnt send me locking bolts/nuts, just 20 standard wheel bolts, obviously I couldnt fit them so had to send the guy an e-mail, he sent me a set of bolts again, third time lucky he sent me standard nuts. Job done. But I had to go and buy locking wheel nuts from a tyreshop. Were £15.

I think you will find that "locking bolts" will not fit.

What you need are "locking nuts"

You can remove the studs from your Yaris as they are a Knock in type with a spline fit, so even if you did remove them there is no thread provision for a bolt. :thumbsup:

depending on your car/hub set up, you will have bolts or nuts

Halfrauds or other motor stores will provide the correct locking nut or bolt to fit your make of car

if you buy second hand wheels, the previous owner may have had them on a car which has a different set up to your car

locking nuts/bolts are roughly £20/25 a set

i'm not sure if the yaris has nuts or bolts, whatevr it has you buy the equivalent in the locking variety

lck_nuts_sm.jpg

Whatever you do.. DON'T BUY THIS TYPE ( and i know theese are bolts, they come in nuts too) i mean the style,, TRI-LOCK 3 holes in nut and 3 pins in adaptor.. absolute crap. problems galore.

p75.jpg

Don't buy this style either, again they are crap ( this picture is of the nut veriety )

locknut2.jpg

Crap again....

The following picture is the type to get.. you won't get any problems with them breaking or going out of shape.......

locking-wheel-nuts_pic1.jpg

I work with wheels every day.. so beleive me when i say theese are about the best you will get, should sost between 15 - 20 quid :)

lck_nuts_sm.jpg

Whatever you do.. DON'T BUY THIS TYPE ( and i know theese are bolts, they come in nuts too) i mean the style,, TRI-LOCK 3 holes in nut and 3 pins in adaptor.. absolute crap. problems galore.

These type (nut version) are fitted to my MKI. They have been on the car for 20 years (longer than many members of TOC have been alive) and they are still fine. I had the wheels off the car yesterday B)

I guess they don't make em like they used to :P

Toyota standard locking nuts are like that and they might as well be made of lead! Easy to shear the circular holes out of place.

But yeah, maybe poorer quality now!!

breezer, get yourself to the alloy wheel place opposite sunderland uni, in the industrial estate, think its called smr or summit? they are a helpful lot but steer away from the miserable c*** who works in the display area. hes a right pillock

well i emailed the geezer! he said that the wheels are always in stock, so i will probably be buying the maranellos. He also said they come with locking nuts :)

iv been to that place before houstan. quite good. thats where i bought my other wheel nuts from.!

• 4 weeks later...
lck_nuts_sm.jpg

These type (nut version) are fitted to my MKI. They have been on the car for 20 years (longer than many members of TOC have been alive) and they are still fine. I had the wheels off the car yesterday B)

I guess they don't make em like they used to :P

I have the above locks on my Corolla.

Trying to get the rear wheel off this afternoon, and it was as if the locking nut 'melted' away like butter when using the wrench.

I am now stuck with a mangled locking nut. Any advice on how to remove this?

Thanks,

Gareth.

I take it the extraction tool is still ok?

How i have removed these before is to get a pair of long nose pliers and find two places where some of holes used to be and then get a ajustable spaner and put it across the pivot of the pliers and then turn and hope for the best.

It worked for me before

HTH

I take it the extraction tool is still ok?

How i have removed these before is to get a pair of long nose pliers and find two places where some of holes used to be and then get a ajustable spaner and put it across the pivot of the pliers and then turn and hope for the best.

It worked for me before

HTH

The tool is fine.

The nuts however, as well as badly mishaped holes, are also cracking.

This is the first time I have attempted to take the rear wheels off since getting the car late last year, and the nuts are stuck damn tight. I'll give them a good squirt of wd40 and perhaps give your suggestion a try.

Round the outside of the nut is a sheath, this sheath is to prevent you putting on a soket and forcing it off. Use a small chisel to remove the sheath (it spins seperatly from the nut itself), once it has been removed, bang on a splined socket which is ever so slightly too small, if you are lucky, and the nut isn't too tight, you should be able to force it off.

If that fails, it's normally a trip to the garage to get it out by either useing an easeout or getting it drilled out.

Round the outside of the nut is a sheath, this sheath is to prevent you putting on a soket and forcing it off. Use a small chisel to remove the sheath (it spins seperatly from the nut itself), once it has been removed, bang on a splined socket which is ever so slightly too small, if you are lucky, and the nut isn't too tight, you should be able to force it off.

If that fails, it's normally a trip to the garage to get it out by either useing an easeout or getting it drilled out.

Searching the web brought up an interesting result:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109639

Looks like these have a reverse thread, so they clamp on tighter the more you undo the wheel nut. I'll have to measure the nut and see if they would fit.

Don't think I could get this drilled easily as it's a nut rather than a bolt :(

We have this tool at work.. the outer sheath still needs to be removed. This tool is for use with an impact airgun too (ours is anyway), and it doesn't always work.

As for drilling, although you have nuts it can still be drilled out in one of 2 ways....

1. Drill the outside of the nut on adjacent sides , it breaks into 2 the comes off

2. Drill right through the middle untill the stud on the hub breaks away.. then the stud has to be replaced too.. theese are very easy to put in.

The sockets for removing them come in a range of different sizes, we have a set we got from Mac Tools which cost around £100 for 6 sockets, and tbh they aint that usefull.

The ones in your link won't be of any use to you.. even if your nuts are 21mm you will need a 20mm to force on... and i don't know of ANY cars with 25mm nuts.. 24mm come on some vans, as do 27mm.. but in 15 years i've never used a 25mm socket to loosen a wheel nut.

more removal tools here

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links