Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sealing T-bar Roof

iblis

Eccentric + rejuvenator Vs Silicone sealant  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Eccentric + rejuvenator Vs Silicone sealant

• Eccentric rod guides and some rubber rejuvenating lubricant
    • Silicone sealant and clingfilm method
    • New seals?!!

As many before me, my leg gets wet if there's any amount of rain... :crybaby: It's not a whole lot of water but there are regular drips of say 3/4 a minute and it's really p :censor: ing me off!

So from experience which would you recommend? Don't like the idea of the look of the silicone option, but it seems to be the more successful solution. :wacko:

I voted new seals.

because when i was looking to buy my 2 (when i didnt really know that much about em) I saw one with the silicone sealer jobby, and it kinda put me off....looked a mess.

Also, new seals is bound to be the most expensive, but its gotta be the most long lasting, and the tidyist. The seals have lasted till now, like what 10 years, so new one are gonna last you the life of the car !

As many before me, my leg gets wet if there's any amount of rain...  :crybaby: It's not a whole lot of water but there are regular drips of say 3/4 a minute and it's really p :censor: ing me off!

So from experience which would you recommend? Don't like the idea of the look of the  silicone option, but it seems to be the more successful solution. :wacko:

I did a really good job using silicone sealer carefully sculpted with a kitchen knife. Now 100% leak proof!!!

As many before me, my leg gets wet if there's any amount of rain...  :crybaby: It's not a whole lot of water but there are regular drips of say 3/4 a minute and it's really p :censor: ing me off!

So from experience which would you recommend? Don't like the idea of the look of the   silicone option, but it seems to be the more successful solution. :wacko:

I did a really good job using silicone sealer carefully sculpted with a kitchen knife. Now 100% leak proof!!!

Pictures laddo!.. pictures!.. :yes:

I used to have leaking issues with my motor. Nothing major, but it did annoy me.

I first tried the eccentric rod guides, it sorta fixed it. I then bought some new seals (£400+ if I remember!!).

Finally I used some lubricant stuff... sorted it out for good. No leaks at all and my seals look all new... :)

TBH ... try the lubricant first!

I voted Silicon 'cause if you seal it you can then fabricate a roof scoope feedin the engine like some of theose NSXs have.

Just and idea :P

Also, new seals is bound to be the most expensive, but its gotta be the most long lasting, and the tidyist. The seals have lasted till now, like what 10 years, so new one are gonna last you the life of the car !

I first tried the eccentric rod guides, it sorta fixed it. I then bought some new seals (£400+ if I remember!!).

Finally I used some lubricant stuff... sorted it out for good. No leaks at all and my seals look all new... :)

I'm also inclined to go for new seals, but want to get a respray too before the summer, so got to think cheap on this I reckon... Will try lubricant and guides first I think, and if no joy maybe new seals for next winter

Thanks for the input all :thumbsup:

whatever you do, don't goto toyota for them to fit the seals... they want STUPID money!!! I got a local garage to do it very cheaply.

So from experience which would you recommend? Don't like the idea of the look of the   silicone option, but it seems to be the more successful solution. :wacko:

Pictures laddo!.. pictures!.. :yes:

I'll take some when I get home. :thumbsup:

So from experience which would you recommend? Don't like the idea of the look of the  silicone option, but it seems to be the more successful solution. :wacko:

You obviously dont know how much 2 new seals (Pass+Driver Side) will cost you !

Wait for it ....

£128 driver side

£110 passenger side

And you would need to fit these yourself, with no gaurantee that it will seal properly afterwards. Best thing to do it silicone, if that doenst work then resort to new seals if you can afford it...

I did the silicone trick a couple of months ago. Did it to the underside of the t-bar pannels rather than the rubber. This stopped all leaks dead. You can't see any sign of the fix with the pannels on - not from the inside or out. You can't see any sign of the fix with the roof pannels off. The only way you can see the fix is if you look at the underside of a roof pannel when it's off in your hands - who in the hell does that other than the owner?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links