Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mki - Cylinder Problem

System~G

Hi Peoples

Was bound to be my turn :help:

I have also posted this on the MR2 forums to get as much varied advice as possible.

Last week my MKI got a major service including cambelt change, all filters, oils, plugs etc... My mechanic ran out of time and space and I wanted the car for Sunday. All that was left to do was to do a CO/Emissions test and make necessary adjustments if needed. This happened today and I have just got some bad news.

Whilst doing the CO/emisions test my mechanic thought the engine sounded a little odd and did a compression test. He found compression was down to 70psi on No.4 cylinder.

He has checked the valve clearance and said all seems fine.

He is doubtful it's the head gasket.

It's not burning oil or loosing coolant.

He suspects it might have a burnt valve or rings.

He also mentioned that if you block the exhaust the engine begins to sound like a canal barge :eek: This makes him think that it could be an exhaust valve???

In the past couple of weeks I noticed some oil coming from the plenum and siting in the air intake pipe. I posted about this in the general section when I noticed it.

You could (and still can) see exhaust type fumes coming from the filter (which has been "upgraded" to a K&N kit)

My mechanic sugested getting hold of someone with a Cylinder Leakage Tester to try and determine exactly what might be wrong. Unfortunately he no longer has access to one. Is there anyone on the forums that could help with such machine or know of one somewhere near Northants?

I think I have put down all the information he told me. Is it likely he is missing something? Any other advice?

TIA :)

!Removed! hell i thought there was only me that had run out of luck mate. I went to get my Mk2 checked out today after a tickover fault.I changed everything and took it to a tuning place just out of Leeds he told me that mine has no compression on number 4 pot on tick over but has bags under load mmm bizarre i know so he suggested i put some redex through it as it may have a bit of carbon between the valve and block so trying that now if not it's the head off and furher investigations into checking the valves .

Hope ya get yours sorted dude.Got this blokes number if ya stuck but i'm sure there's somebody closer to where you are.

The main reason for loosing compression in No.4 is head gasket failure. But could also mean other issues like I explained above.

I have an ex-toyota mechanic local to me that I use.

I haven't found a machine to test the cylinders, but I have come to the conclusion that it's time for either the head to come off and physically inspect everything and replace/repair what's needed to get it running again or just do an engine swap.

As much as I would like to go for something with forced induction (supercharged), there is just no budget available :(

Another N/A block it will have to be for now :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links