Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior

RossP

Right, well i've just been chatting to my neighbour who is a panel beater and who will be fitting my bodykit in the summer. As some of you may know, i have been wanting to convert my interior to that of an RS. However, the main problem that we are finding at the moment is that there are no RS interiors on the island from either scrapped cars or spares. He has come up with the suggestion that i paint the dash black, to make it look like an RS interior. I would however then need to change seats, and i was thinking of recaro recliners for the front with the back retrimmed in black along with the door panels. AH, and for those who don't know, my interior currently looks like this:

interior19ns.jpg

Not the nicest really...

So, do you think it will look chavvy painted, or should i go for it?

Your dash is different to ours, where your top little cubby hole thing is we have a screen! Although you do have the better stock headunit!! Are you sure painting the dash will look alright, its one of these things that would be hard to undo if you hated it!!

I know...I think it will look alright. And like you said, will be difficult to undo after. I was thinking dark metallic grey on the blue parts, then the grey bits to be metallic silver and/or carlo blue. But i think it may look chavvy.

BTW, anybody that's interested, i'll have two of those OEM headunits up for sale around august time...

Your dash is different to ours, where your top little cubby hole thing is we have a screen!  Although you do have the better stock headunit!!  Are you sure painting the dash will look alright, its one of these things that would be hard to undo if you hated it!!

yea the dash is different in a vitz, yea the head unit looks better.

lads if you want to paint the dash it would take a lot of work and masking round the knobs and switchs would be a right pain. at the end of the day its your cars and i think if done right would look o.k or how about paint bits on the dash like dave (yaris30) a lot easyer to do have to say not bad looking

DAVID YARIS PICS

Yeh i was thinking of just painting parts of it when i switched over dash's with that of an old RS one, but can't source an RS dash for the time being. The problem is i just DONT like the colour of my interior. I can change the gear knob or anything because it will look out of place with the current coulour scheme in it. How many Yarii have you all seen with the same colour interior as mine?

Sexycrayola used paint the dash's on them.. she had one up for grabs on E-bay a while ago.. it was panted grey fading to silver at the top, the speedo section was also painted silver. Was dne to a glass like finnish too. As for masking stuff up.. on th centre section there's no need as you can buy the little logo's for the heater switches etc.

I was thinking of doing mine too, but i might wait to see about a leather interior conversion. and deceide what colour of trim to put on the black upholstery.(only thinking of this.. can be costly i think).

If you do it black.. get pics up so i can see what it looks like.

I think i'm going to do the blue plastic parts of the interior a dark metallic grey. I've been think about it all night at work, and I think this will be the best option in the long run. I don't think it will look too out of place, and it will blend in reasonably well with the light grey plastics that come as standard. Also, intend on doing the section with handbrake, gearknob etc on the same colour. Seats at present am hoping to be some recaro recliners, but i know that they aren't cheap, so may have to opt for some cobras or sparcos instead...will keep you updated

Sounds a little risky.

I would talk to some people who've done it, see some pics of their cars to make sure it looks alright and find out precisely what kind of paint they used and so on. Do lots of research because you only have one chance to get it right!

I think painting the top (dark grey) section black and leaving the lower (light grey) section alone would look good. It would give it a sort of upscale VW/Audi look. Painting it all black would not look as good, IMO. The shift knob is easy to replace, but have you thought about the steering wheel? You've got an airbag in there so it will be tricky and expensive to remove the wheel and replace it with a black one. I don't think painting the steering wheel would work very well.

I like your idea of the Recaro reclining seats and matching black fabric for the rear.

What about carpeting, would you redo that in black as well?

It's HOT in Cyprus. Are you sure that light grey interior you have now isn't better for it?

If you paint the interior chances are when you come to sell no one will want it. If it isn’t done properly it will look terrible. Think long and hard before you start.

Paint the steering wheel? You're having a laugh! I've thought about the steering wheel and will probably replace it with a Momo one come the summer, but if i can scrimp together enough cash i'll try to get a TRD one.

Carpeting will be left for time being as it is already a drak grey, but may change it if i feel it doesn't match.

It is hot over here, but i think the carlo blue vitz are the only ones that have this colour interior (blue with light grey) and although it does make me a bit more unique from all the other Vitz over here, I just really don't like it!

And yes, come selling time, there are people that may not like it, but by the time i come to sell (at least 2 years) i intend on having the RS dash installed by then, so it will be more 'stock' if you know what i mean.

Just to add I won't be spraying the dash, my neighbour will be doing it, he used to be a paneld beater in UK and has worked on loads of bits like this before. His work is top class, can't fault anything ive seen that he's done so far

dsc000201hv.jpg

I feel a bit of painting coming on!!!!! I really like that instrument pod and the heater controls! Might be having a word with sexycrayola myself to see how easy it is!!

Mmmmm :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind doing mine like that if my dash was that colour to start with...I must say the wiring is looking a bit messy in there! Still interior doesn't look too bad in general!

Paint the steering wheel? You're having a laugh! I've thought about the steering wheel and will probably replace it with a Momo one come the summer, but if i can scrimp together enough cash i'll try to get a TRD one.

Would you be giving up your driver's airbag? Or are you going to spend the money to get a airbag equipped replacement wheel?

I would think about that decision carefully. The airbag could very well save you from a very serious injury someday.

dsc000201hv.jpg

I feel a bit of painting coming on!!!!!  I really like that instrument pod and the heater controls!  Might be having a word with sexycrayola myself to see how easy it is!!

Mmmmm  :thumbsup:

That looks chaviliciously chav-tabulous in my opinion.

I wouldn't do yours like if I were you. Just looks cheesy and retarded and what is going on with those seat covers? :blink:

Would you be giving up your driver's airbag? Or are you going to spend the money to get a airbag equipped replacement wheel?

I would think about that decision carefully. The airbag could very well save you from a very serious injury someday.

The TRD one has an airbag if i'm not mistaken, but the momo one doesn't

That looks chaviliciously chav-tabulous in my opinion.

I wouldn't do yours like if I were you. Just looks cheesy and retarded and what is going on with those seat covers?  :blink:

I'm not on about the seat covers! I just like the paint job! Lets face it, if it was chavved it wouldn't be that good... It would be done with no proper base coats, applied with a spray can, with visible drip marks and cracks at the 1st sign of a bit of sun!!

and chav = following a crowd, that yaris to me is kinda unique!

Having a 2-tone dash like the man paphos, i just feel it could do with a bit of livening up...

If you ever see sexycrayola's interior, its far from chav... shes very talented! ;)

It could also cause lacerations to the walls of your heart but that's by the by! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links