Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flooded Passenger Footwells

still green

Hi there everyone,

Could any of you help me with this? After some recent heavy rain I discovered that the passenger footwells, back and front , had flooded. I stripped back the carpet and dried it all out but can't trace where the water had come in. Some one has mentioned blocked drainaways but I dont where these would be. Any ideas?

hmm strange, first ive heared of this, heard of the front footwells being wet but often a result of a leaking pipe to do with the air con

with regards to water getting into the car ive heared that if the aerial is not secured properly this can be an entrance but i cant see how that would affect the footwells,

sunroof not open slightly, or not sealed correctly !!??

Water can get in through drain holes and then builds up if it can't escape quickly. They can get blocked with mud on some cars as I can attest from when my parents' had a Renault 5 GT. The carpets floated!

Sorry, I haven't looked under my Yaris on a ramp but any garage can help you with this one, I think.

check your door seals.

have you changed the rear lights?

have you added any components like cb antenna,or spoiler improperly?

i had this problem once in my previous car,the water was entering from the rear right light,and it was dripping all the way under the seats using the carpet as a medium to get everywhere in the car.

water can be really sneaky.

also did you ever crash your car?

If you lay under your car to either side you'll see a row of black circle plug things... they're your drain holes from the sills... make sure they're not blocked. I'd take it to MrT if it's under warranty and tell them you want it fixing asap!

Also, you may have a faulty aerial seal!!! If you have a phase 1 Yaris (Aerial at the front of the car not the back) Water can get into the opening and drip down the coax cable, which has a loop at the end to allow water to drip off into the footwell.

Mr T pointed it out to me, apparently its a common fault, maybe worth looking into that!!!

:thumbsup:

This isssue is basically a recall in Canada. Anywhere where there is a chance of water accumulation. For us it has to do with travelling through deep snow.

I agree with Em I'm sure someone else had the same problem - wasnt it something like the drainage tube for air-con that caused it?

This isssue is basically a recall in Canada. Anywhere where there is a chance of water accumulation. For us it has to do with travelling through deep snow.

This is incorrect...

We have a "recall" (Campaign 505 - Corrosion Enhancement) in Canada for corrosion enhancement in the driver/passenger footwells. Because of the unusually high concentration of road salt in winter here that ends up getting tracked into the inside carpets of the car, it can sit in the carpet and corrode the floorboards from the inside out. This is a pre-emptive move for Toyota to increase the corrosion protection by removing the seats and carpet and adding another layer of corrosion resistant material.

sorry for the off-topic but could someone explain me who is Mr T and where he is etc?

Mr T is simply a name we use here for Toyota dealerships.

Hello Demonic Angel.......

yes that was me with the wet footwell problem, in my case it was as suggested, the aircon overflow pipe and it took 10 seconds to repair.....i am all dry now........

as for this problem??????

Also, you may have a faulty aerial seal!!!  If you have a phase 1 Yaris (Aerial at the front of the car not the back)  Water can get into the opening and drip down the coax cable, which has a loop at the end to allow water to drip off into the footwell.

Mr T pointed it out to me, apparently its a common fault, maybe worth looking into that!!!

Also, you may have a faulty aerial seal!!!  If you have a phase 1 Yaris (Aerial at the front of the car not the back)  Water can get into the opening and drip down the coax cable, which has a loop at the end to allow water to drip off into the footwell.

Hi there Dicey2K. Thanks for the reply. My aerial seal is indeed loose. But how to tighten it I don't know. I can't see how it is fixed to the roof. Any ideas?

Hello Demonic Angel.......

yes that was me with the wet footwell problem, in my case it was as suggested, the aircon overflow pipe and it took 10 seconds to repair.....i am all dry now........

as for this problem??????

Hi there ArthurPewty. Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how to get to the aircon overflow pipe please.

Hiya.........

no worries, the aircon overflow pipe is situated behind the glovebox, about 6" in from the centre console. It is a rubber pipe about 3/4" diameter which should be connected to the aircon unit. the other end of the pipe goes thru' the bodywork of the car and forms the overflow.

You will possibly see that this pipe has just come away from the unit and it is just a case of slipping the female pipe back over the male connection on the unit. there are no clips or bracets or anything.

Ok hope that helps and i hope that's the problem,

See Ya......... :thumbsup:

Hi there Dicey2K. Thanks for the reply. My aerial seal is indeed loose. But how to tighten it I don't know. I can't see how it is fixed to the roof. Any ideas?

Its bolted from inside the roof lining i believe, behind the sunroof controls (if you have a sunroof that is!) It might just need a tighten or a new seal?

I only mention it because the mechanic at my Mr T dealership said it was a common fault on Phase 1 Yarii, and if it doesnt end up in the footwell then it gets into the back of the radio and can cause it to short. Its an either/or situation though apparently, either it goes into the footwell or into the radio, not both! :thumbsup:

Hiya.........

no worries, the aircon overflow pipe is situated behind the glovebox, about 6" in from the centre console. It is a rubber pipe about 3/4" diameter which should be connected to the aircon unit. the other end of the pipe goes thru' the bodywork of the car and forms the overflow.

You will possibly see that this pipe has just come away from the unit and it is just a case of slipping the female pipe back over the male connection on the unit. there are no clips or bracets or anything.

Ok hope that helps and i hope that's the problem,

See Ya......... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help ArthurPewty. Much appreciated.

Its bolted from inside the roof lining i believe, behind the sunroof controls (if you have a sunroof that is!) It might just need a tighten or a new seal?

I only mention it because the mechanic at my Mr T dealership said it was a common fault on Phase 1 Yarii, and if it doesnt end up in the footwell then it gets into the back of the radio and can cause it to short. Its an either/or situation though apparently, either it goes into the footwell or into the radio, not both! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help Dicey2k. Much appreciated.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links