Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitted White Dials And Fm Modulator

sotal

Finally I got a couple of hours to spend on my car tonight! I've had a couple of things waiting to be done.

Job 1 - fitting an FM Modulator and cable

Time - 30 mins

this was done so that my phone can be plugged into the stereo so that I can listen to MP3's, satnav instructions and calls through the Speakers in the car. This was fairly easy and has ended up neat. The cable comes out of the gap on the right of the glove box - so when it's not needed it isn't left dangling it just goes in the glove box:

phone.jpg

Job 2 - Fitting White Dials to the Car

Time - 1 hour

Lord_ed sent me some white dials a few months back and here they are:

finished.jpg

Not quite finished as the speed starts off at 25mph!! Need to take the needle off and put it back in the right place - doh! :lol:

Quick Tutorial for anyone wanting to change their dials:

Stage 1 pull the plastic trim off which goes round the ignition, and unplug the wire which goes to the dash light dimmer knob, it should look a bit like this:

stage1.jpg

Stage 2 Remove the trim from infront of the clocks. Start by undoing the 2 screws you uncovered in stage 1, the one on the left is:

stage2.jpg

Now remove the 2 at the top (may need a small screwdriver - I used a ratchet)

stage3.jpg

Stage 3 Undo the 4 retaining screws

stage4.jpg

Stage 4 - Unclip the three plugs from the back of the unit and carefully move it through the hole - make sure the steering wheel is in it's lowest position.

Stage 5 - undo the two screws at the top and then unclip the clear front. Then unclip the black surround.

Stage 6 - lift the rev counter and speedo needles over the rest pins and let them go - mark where they go to

Stage 7 - Use 2 teaspoons to prise the needles off carefully

Stage 8 - take the old faces off and remove the old tape/glue

Stage 9 - stick the new faces down

Stage 10 - colour the needles in with a black marker and replace them

Then replace everything else. My main problem following these instructions was that the speedo needle couldn't reach it's natural rest position because the odometer reset button was in the way :angry: Not sure how I'm going to sort it but that's a saturday morning job :thumbsup:

You can see the problem on this picture:

problem.jpg

(ps I took the pictures whilst refitting - before someone points out that they are white!! :thumbsup: )

Very nice.

Just a thought for the mod's, the instructions for changing the dails should become a stickey or something, as I'm sure questions about this type of install must come up a lot.

Oh and another thing about white dials, is it possible to get different coloured needles as mine are white, and thus would prove a problem with white dials...

Blue one's would be nice :)

you can paint your needles mate, easy enough job, just get some modeling paint and a steady hand.

i've done the dails in my GT4 and have the same speedo problem :lol: not really that bothered as it's only 10mph over at 70 so if i stick to the speed indicated past cameras etc i know for certain i'll keep my lisence :D

looking good sotal :thumbsup:

you can paint your needles mate, easy enough job, just get some modeling paint and a steady hand.

Doesn't that stop them from lighting up when the lights are on??? Or did you use some transparrernt type stuff?

you just paint the top surface - I followed the instructions and used a black marker pen - It looks fine in the day but it looks absolutley sh1te at night - it goes a bit semi transparent and you can then see pen marks. When I fix the speedo I'll paint them all - I was thinking of doing them blue myself

Does anyone know if you can get blue bulbs to replace the green ones??

Also does anyone know how to get the odometer reset button out? As I can't see any way of fixing the speedo without getting it out :angry:

I have to go through all the 30 mph speed cameras at exactly 57mph :lol: Thankfully I've got the speed reading on the satnav do back me up! B)

the green ones are just white ones with a green rubber over the top, if you buy blue side light bulbs then it'll do the trick for you ;)

looks very nice mate i went the opposite route and spray painted the surrounds to brighten the instrument panel up.

my mate has changed every bulb for a blue l.e.d looks very nice but proved a right ball ache. and very expensive :thumbsup:

DSCF3815.jpg

mine at night, i never re-set the rev counter properly either, reads 2-300 over

Those dials :thumbsup:

I,ve a hankerin for sum matey... :cacker:

Went a 'bit pirate' there..[like ya do]..

I'll be needing to sort the dials on my 185 soon.. :wacko:

All this advice is great..But i could do wiyh some prices.If thats ok guys.. ;)

I finished off the dials this weekend.

Took them apart again and painted the needles black with some black hammerite that I had lying around - much better than marker pen!

I also corrected the speedo. Just incase anyone wants to know how to get the needle to it's rest position.

Lift it over the rest peg, then you need to get it over the odometer reset pin. The reset pin is in two parts hold the bottom part and pull the top part out - this makes it a lot shorter now if you press the reset button in, it gets just small enough to lift the needle over.

I also put some blue bulbs in instead of the clear bulbs with green caps - Not sure if they are going to stay though as it doesn't quite light the whole instrument panel up :angry: The rev counter numbers at the bottom left don't light up. I'll take some pictures when I get a minute (has to be in the dark though!)

• 4 weeks later...

Yep like the dials, was thinking of getting white faces, I saw white faces that illuminate blue at nite, must be the coating or something, they were about £30 quid for the Gen 6.

Think I'l name them for fathers day, not sure about the positioning of the needles, dont have much patience for the finer details, but I have a brother who's into that stuff.

Hmmmm? :wacko:

• 2 months later...
:drool: Im loving those dials......big time!!!!!! Right where did ya get them then!!! :lol:

just realised i never replied to this, got my dails from www.skewer.co.uk he'll do designs to the way you want it :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

nice one thanks, so i jus e-mail the car and what i want, jus 1 thing, don't the old dial obscure the light coming through??

Mooks got a way to sort the problems people find with fitting dails, just mail him if you have any problems, he's more than happy to help

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links