Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Audio Unit

occitan

I've just bought a new 2005 top of the line Avensis, and I'm looking into ways to conect my iPod to the CD multichanger connector.

The Audio unit is referenced w53904, which I've not found referenced anywhere on the web. Dension and others tell me it is not compatible, but the reasons were all conflicting. Dension told me the connection use optical fibre, another dealer said that wasn't true.

The only way I can really tell is to pull the unit out and take a look.

I found these instructions which got me most of the way :-

http://www.mtu.no/english/DashMount/DM_pdf/70156.pdf

But all I was able to do was wiggle the audio and aircon unit about, I wasn't able to pull them out to look at the connectors on the back. It looked like the fake wood strip along the edge of the dash, below the vents, was stopping it getting any further.

Can anyone help me to find out what else needs to be done, to pull the radio from the dash ?

Cheers

Guy

I did this a while ago, so sorry if I forget anything...

1. Unscrew the knob off the gearstick.

2. pry up the plastic base of the gearstick. The leathery cover around the gearstick and the ashtray should now come off as well, since they're all one piece.

3. Pry off the main bit of (fake wood) fascia. It has clips holding it in, so it just pops off. The buttons in the fascia remain in place, the fascia is just clipped in around them.

4. The radio and aircon are all in one piece. There are two bolts at the bottom holding it in, and two bolts behind the fascia that you've aready removed. Unscrew these four bolts. If you have trouble reaching two bolts behind the fascia, you can unscrew/pull out the digital display that shows mpg, etc.

5. Now the aircon/radio should slide forwards towards you.

That's what worked for me anyway! It's a bit scary, but not that difficult.

Martin.

I did this a while ago, so sorry if I forget anything...

Many thanks - prying off the fake wood strip sounds a bit hairy - I tried delacately pulling at the edges without much of a budge. I guess I've got to get a screwdriver underthere or something.

Incidentally, what did you find on the back ? Do you know what the external CD jukebox connector is like ? Oh, and what is the model number on the front of your unit ?

Cheers

Guy

Sorry I can't tell you how to remove the parts, only to say that when the guy came to install my hands free car kit. I went in to make him a coffee and when I returned the radio / AC unit was out the strip that runs along the dashboard was off as was the gear knob / gater as well as the glove box..

So it looks like that strip has to come off. It all went back ok with no rattles or anything.

I took strips away few days ago. It's easy and DO NOT use any tools, because you're gonna damage it. Just go all the way to the end of the strip by passenger door and use your fingers to pull out that end, then keep on pulling out step by step comming closer to the steering wheel. Be aware that black box saying "Passenger" has the plug on the back so as soon as you see it unplug it and just then take the strip off completely. It's easy, trust me.

By the way, on the beginning of pulling it out, by passenger door, grab it on the side, like this:

________________________________/ «------------ grab it here

(strip)

My passenger door is on the right side of the car (non UK). If your is on the other side, then this image would be in mirror view for you.

I had a chat with local Toyota man on this very subject, apparently, the 6 cd autochanger conects in via a 'piggy back' plug that replaces the existing power/speaker plug, there isn't a separate phono or DIN input that you can fir an IPOD or minidisc into. I think you are gonna struggle to be honest, Mine's a 2005 model BTW :censor:

I had a chat with local Toyota man on this very subject, apparently, the 6 cd autochanger conects in via a 'piggy back' plug that replaces the existing power/speaker plug, there isn't a separate phono or DIN input that you can fir an IPOD or minidisc into.  I think you are gonna struggle to be honest,  Mine's a 2005 model BTW :censor:

I've never touched audio unit, but did remove wooden strips because I wanted to cover them with black film. I don't like that imitation of wood. That's why I know how to remove the strips. BTW, covering didn't go well so I had to remove the film and keep on driving with that wood that bother me so much. In Portugal there is no option with carbon strips on new Avensis... Shame...

Many thanks to everyone for help, I've now managed to pull the unit out and take a look at the connections...

I had a chat with local Toyota man on this very subject, apparently, the 6 cd autochanger conects in via a 'piggy back' plug that replaces the existing power/speaker plug, there isn't a separate phono or DIN input that you can fir an IPOD or minidisc into.  I think you are gonna struggle to be honest,  Mine's a 2005 model BTW :censor:

That's fine, you just need an adaptor. My Toyota dealer sold me a Y cable (part number 08695-00370) for 25 euros that connects between the existing plug and socket on the back of the W59304, and provides a larger 12 pin socket, which connects to the CD changer.

I'm now investigating ipod adaptors that connect to this type of connector. I'm hoping the ice>link plus will connect (they talk about a 12 pin connector with a row of seven and a row of 5 pins, which matches the socket on the adaptor cable).

I could post some images of the cables and plugs, but I've not worked out how to add an attachment to a post on this forum...

Let us know how you get on, if it can be done, I would be happy. Try using a third party for pics, like www.imageshack.us

Hi,

I called www.dension.fr who told me that the Ice link doesn't work on my 2003 avensis. So i'm still stuck on the way to connect an ipod to my car audio system.

If anybody succeds in this mission, please inform us.

Thanks

Mehdi

Many thanks to everyone for help, I've now managed to pull the unit out and take a look at the connections...

That's fine, you just need an adaptor. My Toyota dealer sold me a Y cable (part number 08695-00370) for 25 euros that connects between the existing plug and socket on the back of the W59304, and provides a larger 12 pin socket, which connects to the CD changer.

I'm now investigating ipod adaptors that connect to this type of connector. I'm hoping the ice>link plus will connect (they talk about a 12 pin connector with a row of seven and a row of 5 pins, which matches the socket on the adaptor cable).

I could post some images of the cables and plugs, but I've not worked out how to add an attachment to a post on this forum...

Let us know how you get on, if it can be done, I would be happy.  Try using a third party for pics, like www.imageshack.us

Thanks, here are the images:

Back of Radio:

radioback7pf.jpg

Adaptor Cable:

adaptorcable7ge.jpg

Resulting adaptor plug:

adaptorplug1rb.jpg

I've had a lot of help from http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/. I've ordered the 12 pin (5+7), version of the Dension iceLink from them. They only ship to the UK, so it'll take some freinds and logistics to get it down to me in the South of France, but as far as they are concerned, it should work... They even say that I could have avoided the adaptor cable if I'd ordered the 12 pin (6+6) version, but I feel safer using the official cable... I'll keep you posted.

Folks, a while back I remember a thread on this very subject where a guy integrated his iPod into the new model avensis. I have had a quick look back but I cannot find it.

He done a very neat job as the iPod could sit into the ashtray which was customised with iPod adapter. There were pics with it also but I just can't find the :censor: thread. This could have been up to 12 months ago. Will take another look later on to see if I can find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my ice>Link this week, and have installed it in my 2005 Avensis (top of the range with colour sat nav etc). Works a treat. See this post for more info.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any pics of what the full installation looks like.

Perhaps step by step picture instructions of installation.

Might have to get rid of my Creative MP3 player and get an Ipod instead (up untill now I have found the ipod overated and overpriced, but might change my mind..) B)

• 1 month later...

Is it possibile to connect any changer (MP3) to that Y cable Toyota dealer provided to you ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links