Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Third Gear Grinds

cookci

simple problem really. sometimes it grinds when i try to change down and only down into third. it eventually goes in but takes a little persuasion. of course ive got my clutch flat to the floor. any ideas if this can be fixed and approx how much??

again... thanks for ur help ;)

simple problem really. sometimes it grinds when i try to change down and only down into third. it eventually goes in but takes a little persuasion. of course ive got my clutch flat to the floor. any ideas if this can be fixed and approx how much??

again... thanks for ur help ;)

Sounds like you need new syncro rings on 3rd gear. Needs a gearbox strip to do that (not a DIY job unless you're really, really brave).

You could try replacing the gearbox oil, if it's really old it won't be helping. Or just double de-clutch. :thumbsup:

I had the same problem on an old Corrado I used to have and once I got the gear linkages changed it sorted it out. In cars that have had either a replacement gear box or have a slightly lengthened gear linkage then that should sort the problem out. Unfortunately it is a garage job, unless you feel happy covered in gearbox oil. Good luck let us know how it goes.

:thumbsup:

change gearbox oil. DIY. may make it a little better.

other than that replaxe or rebuild.

worn synchro's mate - all celica's suffer (gens 4-6)

I've had similar problems - As said above it the syncromesh rings. I've been using Redline MTL for two years now and it's helped a lot. It's not cheap but it does the job.

i find 3/4 of the way down for clutch pedal helps me engage a stiff change , but at my age i dont have many. :lol::help:

sometimes i really cant get the f**ker in no matter how much a ram in :lol:

Gearbox oil has been changed 5000 miles ago and helped abit

looks like a might just live with it because a rebuild could be expensive right?

half way up the gearbox.same hole used for gearbox oil.

Ive got the same problem, mine crunches if i go from 5th to 3rd, have to got 5th to 4th then to 3rd or just miss 3rd completely. Thats only when driving hard though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links