Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding Acetone To Fuel

Nosh

I have an 03 Yaris 1.4D-4D and I am intending to fit a fuel-rail power box soon.

But first of all I wanted to see how much power and/or economy I can get from adding pure Acetone to each 45 Litre tank of fuel.

A Google search on the potential gains has loads of articles, but this link is pretty good:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005...900069_Acetone/

I aim to add between 18 mililitres first, potentially up to 72 ml per 45L tank (less if often better by reports...)

Anyone tried this yet? I'd be keen to see if will help tweaked 1.4D-4D's go even better with acetone.

btw.. I got a gallon for 12 quid from a Dulux paint shop. Very cheap.

Well, filled up with the Acetone in, done just 15 miles tonight (its late).

One effect was after about 5 miles (running unmixed diesel thru the pipes?) the sort of crackly 'pinking' type noises I used to get (since the car was new) accelerating under load have gone completely -they just don't show at all now even when I try to induce them.

Feels very smooth indeed. Haven't caned it to try any subjective power-improvement tests as I'm going to try to assess mileage gain the first few tanks.

So, very optimistic, will keep posted :thumbsup:

Felt a need to update! After just 150 miles I have a noticeable improvement in power. Considering I am driving for mileage just now I was surprised to notice a power gain, but it is there and I am certain it is not wishful thinking. The smoothness of the diesel engine is also a big change -and the engine was a great one before.

I'll be back...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm blown away... Considering the following:

1. The whole 566 mile before re-fuel (2 bars still showing) run was 'urban' cycle, mostly city-and-lights stuff with the odd steep hill climb stuff over the local moors.

2. I always have air-cond on.

3. (major embarrassment) I just checked the tires when I filled up, I mean they LOOKED okay, but 22 psi front (should be 33) and 18 rear (should be 30). This latter would have cost a lot of fuel, yes I am daft for not checking.

So bearing in mind all of the above, which aren't trivial, I still got 68mpg (UK Gallons).

The power increase is the biggest smile, I'm not jokin' it is really obvious. I wish I had the money to try the motor on a rolling road to verify it, but I don't, so have to stick with the subjective test.

I wonder if I was one of the D-4D users who can do lots of motorway driving, with proper tire pressures, might get serious mileage from a tank compared to no-acetone.

Anyone else gonna try it? Just one word for petrol users, you have to make sure your brand of petro; does NOT have any ethanol mixed in with it. Apparently these ethanol-doctored brands totally stops the gains from acetone happening.

Now I am gonna try the next tank for pure 'fun' driving and see how this goes. Will report back again.

Goes MUCH quicker, this is very amusing, all for about 5 pence worth of acetone, and from what have read, I should get better emissions and a cleaner engine.

Very noticeable on the hillclimbs up to the moors, seems to have bags more torque. BTW, applied 50 mililitres this time to the full tank.

This is a right old lark.

Well this is interesting and I will be seriously tempted to try this out. Mainly because such a miniscule amount of addative (acetone) of 50milli litres really can not do any damage. Are you sure about the ratio being correct? as that is only about 10 TEASPOONS.

I would be amazed to be able to find any difference in performance on 2 counts:-

1st that such a minute amount I would have thought would be unmeasurable to detect performance wise although having said that this could actually be rocket science as even the tinniest trace elements can have dramatic effects when combined with other chemicals.

But secondly, acetone burns at a really low temperature, I have used it for magical effects like slowly putting my arm in the flames from acetone, something I would definately not do with diesel flames.

It is of course a much cleaner fuel but if as you say you are adding in such tiny amounts it is very hard to beleive unless one tries it for themselves but I will and let you know the results when my landcruiser 2.4 turbo diesel 2L-te engine is up and running. I have just sent the ECU off for repair as my engine check light refuses to go out and have lost total power to the point it would not drive off from a stand still! Ticks over alright once I managed to get the darn thing started.

Replaced :- turbo, injection pump, fuel filter, air filter, total rebuild of engine and checked to see if fuel could be sucked from the filter easily, so assumed it must be the ECU. Having sent this thing off for repair I have looked at various wiring diagrams and noticed that all the sensors lead to the ECU such as water temp oil pressure speed sensor throttle position sensor and turbo pressure, it might possibly be one of those that has been giving me a hard time but next week I will find out when I shove the ECU back in.

One thing I would dearly love to find out too is, is there a way of removing the ECU altogether and running the engine without it as I find the benefits of saving a tiny amount of fuel over a very long way to be worthless if you have to send the ECU off for repair with a bill of around £300 a time. For the amount of driving I do this is pointless!!! and a mechanical object can be much easier to fault find than a darned computer. I have at home a 386 computer which is still running like a dream, But I also have a windows 98 that is corrupt as hell and has a mind of its own, I wonder if toyota had some kindling with microsoft? :o

Yes, I only add 50ml per 45 Litres. Check the link I gave earlier, or do some Google's on the subject. The measures for petrol and diesel are not the same, so I went from the chart that has the diesel ranges. 50ml seems to be pretty good upper range, I am on my second acetone treated tank now.

The flamability of acetone isn't where it works its magic. It reduces the surface tension of fuel, so that among other things, it vaporises much better in the combustion chamber, and has a very dramatic cleaning effect, hence the better power/economy in some cases. I say 'some cases' as from the web-trawling I have done, some engines seem to have no gains at all, so try it and see sort of thing.

Remember folks, if you use petrol, don't use brands which have alcohol mixed in, it won't work.

interesting

but at the end of the day acetone is just a very flammable solvent (ive sent my leg on fire with it)

i use methanol injection on my mr2, but you use 25% meth/water ratio

im tempting maybe trying just straight water with a few drops of acetone now as i can get it for free :D

anyone know the exact or equivelent rating of Octane in acetone?

No dude! Don't use acetone with any fuel that has alcohol (methanol), it will be a waste of time as even a trace of methanol will counter the effect that acetone has on the surface tnsion.

I repeat, its' nowt' t'do with acetone being flamable, its all about the effect on the host fuel's surface tension being modified, so that there is a better air-fuel mix in the combustion chamber. That's all (aside from the improved cleaning and emissions).

If you are a petrol user, I'd be interested to lean which UK brands of petrol fuels aren't mixed with alcohol.

oh :o

should have read the tech page a bit more closely

still acetone in the injection system, still worth a thought :)

I'd be keen to see how petrol users get on, the chart in my link (start of post) suggests better power/economy gains from petrol engines.

btw, I keep my little pre-measured doses of acetone in those little 25cl glass bottles of wine with the long neck. I scoff the wine first of course. The long neck on these little bottles is ideal for keeping the acetone well away from the car paintwork when you pour it in the tank filler tube -acetone is a heavy duty paintstripper.

I'm well into my tank now that I am driving 'enthusiastically' wherever it is safe to do so. The gains to performance are such that I will probably use acetone for the life of my time with the D-4D. I will drop to 30ml per 45Litres next tank and try that, as I think I am still using a wee bit too much. This stuff is cheap as chips!

Just filled up again after a tank of extremely enthusiastic driving. Still returned 57 mpg. That's normal for this motor, but the power gain was excellent.

Now trying just 40ml per 45L tank which will be for economy this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried this with a petrol yet? :bookworm:

Don't use acetone with any fuel that has alcohol (methanol), it will be a waste of time as even a trace of methanol will counter the effect that acetone has on the surface tnsion.

And anybody know which petrols aren't mixed with Alcohol? :wacko:

Another update. Been through another 2 full tanks. Feel 50-60ml per 45 Litres is the best. I use 60 now all the time.

I tried it with BP Ultimate diesel just out of interest. This fuel does give a modest gain in power on its own (I've used it prior to discovering acetone despite the cost), but with the acetone is even better.

Honestly, it feels more than the gains I used to get in my cars during my younger years when I added a performance exhaust/air-filter (Golf Gti, then Xr2, Then Gsi vaux). The current 'before-after' feel I have in my diesel Yaris is more than I got in those days on those cars. Only subjective as ever, but I think I am getting at least 10-15bhp. I have also been in touch with the folk who modify the map on the Mini-D. They promise 105bhp and a whopping torque gain for under £200. This, plus my current acetone gain, might give me a 120bhp+ 1.4 diesel Yaris.... In such a lightweight car that should be pretty entertaining.

• 4 weeks later...

Still gettin' something (actually a lot) for next-to-nothing.

This post has been up for some time now, with a lot of views. But has anyone else on the list gone and tried adding acetone yet? To get significant extra power concurrently with extra fuel economy is pretty special dudes, give it a try. I've run about 11 full tanks with no problems, just more power, more mileage, a cleaner engine and at my 40K service (in a few days) I hope to see what the emissions are like -they should be way lower. A happy 2006 to you all.

Still gettin' something (actually a lot) for next-to-nothing.

This post has been up for some time now, with a lot of views.  But has anyone else on the list gone and tried adding acetone yet?  To get significant extra power concurrently with extra fuel economy is pretty special dudes, give it a try.  I've run about 11 full tanks with no problems, just more power, more mileage, a cleaner engine and at my 40K service (in a few days) I hope to see what the emissions are like -they should be way lower.  A happy 2006 to you all.

Keep us posted how it affects your emissions :yes::thumbsup:

Just collected the car. Despite being clearly asked, they forgot and never did the gas tests.

:censor:

Well I am going to be brave enough to give this a try! I shall first try the acetone addition to my leyland 400 minibus just for a hoot lol. If it does what you claim I shall give it a thumbs up and get a nice bottle of wine for the pouring perpose of course, and thanks for the explanation that makes a lot more sense to me. It makes sense in as much as if you put just a single drop of washing up liquid to a bucket of greasy water that has been standing for a while you immediately see the surface tension release and the grease film will shoot outwards towards the outside of the container. It also works if a wasp is sitting on top of the water as soon as you put a drop of washing up liquid in the wasp sinks like a stone. I am looking forward to the results. My only concern with this is if the government get wind of this they will tax acetone out of all proportion :ffs:

I shall be back with my results shortly.

Many thanks

Chris.

Well I am going to be brave enough to give this a try! I shall first try the acetone addition to my leyland 400 minibus just for a hoot lol. If it does what you claim I shall give it a thumbs up and get a nice bottle of wine for the pouring perpose of course, and thanks for the explanation that makes a lot more sense to me. It makes sense in as much as if you put just a single drop of washing up liquid to a bucket of greasy water that has been standing for a while you immediately see the surface tension release and the grease film will shoot outwards towards the outside of the container. It also works if a wasp is sitting on top of the water as soon as you put a drop of washing up liquid in the wasp sinks like a stone. I am looking forward to the results. My only concern with this is if the government get wind of this they will tax acetone out of all proportion :ffs:

I shall be back with my results shortly.

Many thanks

Chris.

Keep us updated! :yes::thumbsup:

Has anyone tried this in their petrol engine yet? :driving:

Right then nosh,

You ain't gonna like me too much cus I have been drawn to the LDV site as I now own one

cus the Toyota landcruiser is bending the mechanics mind at the garage at

the moment had it there since November so bought a large LDV minibus to transport

me and the 4 kids!

If you look at my first 5 miles it concurs with yours almost to the letter!

I post under the name ldv 400 man

http://212.67.202.50/~aees/ldv-sherpa/view...c.php?p=504#504

I shall post back here to let you know what is going on but there will be a more

frequent post in the LDV site as to my opinions and results of Acetone. :thumbsup:

Chris.

Hi Chris

Had a peek at the other forum -hope more folks try it.

Just one mistake, I have a 1.4 engine not a 1.7

'On A Private Road' the motor now revs to 5200 rpm in 5th which it came nowhere near before. Mention of this is straining the credulity of other members who have been throwing Toyota's stock Yaris specs' at me, with no allowance for the fact I am running a powerbox and enhanced fuel.

Well I know this stuff works been having a right ball today lol.

Definately more speed and power and much better idle. Havn't noted the miles

I have done yet, too engroced in this power bus I have just made. I can't beleive it

I have got to do some serious tests and results with the acetone but today just been

larking around giving it some. laughing my head off imagining if the bus actually had a full load of

passengers being thrown from side to side as I have been driving it like a man posessed! Sorry folks I simply coudn't control myself with this new toy. you gotta try this acetone This ldv bus is driving like a sports car! Cleaner on start up too.

These ldv buses are known to chuck some smoke up at start up and mine did but nowhere near as

much as before. I only put 30 ml into approx 15 gallons thats 70 litres so tommorow gonna

throw in another 30 ml. Should do even better mind you I can't see that there will be much more

room for improvement as it would be too dramatic I would think. Ok on the down side I still keep getting overtaken by the ford transits but ldv buses are not designed for speed just pulling power and I easily got 70 out of it today though rather noisy. and thats pretty good for one of these really. Thing I notice most of all though is when I put my foot down on the thottle the bus just starts to pick up very strongly and progressive, very noticeable improvement. Just very strong progressiveness. Makes ya feel like you got heaps of power under your foot.

Things are looking good :thumbsup:

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya folks,

Just thought I would let you know that my experiment with acetone in a full tank of diesel

has been a success. :D After having a lot of fun driving in my ldv bus 2.5 turbo diesel

I thought it was running on pure air as the fuel gauge took such a long time to move down.

My landcruiser would drink this fuel up in a week!

Remarkable results, filled up again today and added 50 millilitres of acetone to around 60 litres of

diesel. Much much smoother not sure how many miles I have travelled to date yet but this time I have zeroed the milage

so I can get a more accurate mile per gallon reading. Thinking of putting the 2.5 perguoet engine in my

landcruiser now :blink: So what I say to myself if Toyota got the 2l-te engine so stuffed up nobody can fix

them why not put something under the hood that does work reliably. But they are very comfortable and quiet but if my soundproofing project on my LDV bus is comparable to the Toyota then the landcruiser is up for sale :o

Chris