Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Latest Modification

philjones1978

I decided to buy my car a little xmas present in the form of a K&N panel filter. After fitting it I can say that there is not a lot of difference to the performance, the throtle response is maybe a little sharper. I wasn't prepared to fit an induction kit due to concerns about heat, and I didn't think that the time/effort/cost of fabricating a cold air feed was worth it on the 1.6 afe.

Anyway, I now have a panel filter and a custom made s/s cat back exhaust, the next step being a dastek unichip and some uprated brake pads. That will be it then as far as the performance side of things goes. I wonder how much she'll put out after the dastek unichip gets fitted? You get a rolling road run before and after so I will be able to tell how much the exhaust and panel filter have added, and how much the chip has added again.

All in all I know I'd have been better off buying a car with more power in the 1st place, or modifying a more 'tuneable' car, but I just couldn't help myself!

let us know how the chip goes? some people rave about them others warn u off them. Will be interesting to see the results.

let us know how the chip goes? some people rave about them others warn u off them. Will be interesting to see the results.

I've heard less than complimentary things about Superchips. The dastek unichip seems better because it is re-programmable. It is also programmed to your particular car and its modifications, not a generic chip like the Superchip. I'm no expert but that's my understanding. You can fit it to your car, and remove it at a later date and put it on another car. It's going to cost me £400, which is a lot for probably 10bhp or less isn't it?! I may back out yet! I'm such a penny pincher you see! The graphs for a MG ZR 105 look interesting on the dastek web site, but then they're bound to look good on their own website.

Also, I am aware that rolling road figures can be misleading and that an engine dyno is the only true way of obtaining power output. However, the rolling road is my best option, in fact it's my only option!

If anyone wants to encourage/tell me not to chip it then please do so now!

I've also got a K&N panel filter, car feels a little more responsive, but not much different really,

I very nearly went for the Dastek unichip, but pulled out at the last minute when i found that i could get insured on a GT4 nxt year :D

I think the unichip will give you around 6-10bhp, but there was a graph on here from a TS Yaris somewhere which showed the difference in the torque curve, that was pretty impressive!

If youve got the cash, id say go for it :thumbsup:

Not sure what sort of numbers you'll be getting with a 4afe but with my supercharged 4a-gze the Unichip gave me an extra 17-18 bhp and a nice wad of torque too and that was just be controlling the fuelling as it can't/won't control the gze ignition system.

Not sure what sort of numbers you'll be getting with a 4afe but with my supercharged 4a-gze the Unichip gave me an extra 17-18 bhp and a nice wad of torque too and that was just be controlling the fuelling as it can't/won't control the gze ignition system.

Almost 20BHP for £400 ain't bad at the level your engine is tuned I'd say? Well I'm going for the Dastek Unichip in January 'cos I got a better than expected bonus for Christmas so I'll keep you all posted! :thumbsup: Should get a good gain combined with the K&N and cold air feed....

Almost 20BHP for £400 ain't bad at the level your engine is tuned I'd say? Well I'm going for the Dastek Unichip in January 'cos I got a better than expected bonus for Christmas so I'll keep you all posted! :thumbsup: Should get a good gain combined with the K&N and cold air feed....

If you're thinking of adding an exhaust or other mods later then I suggest you get the unichip last because it will be mapped to all your other mods.

If you're thinking of adding an exhaust or other mods later then I suggest you get the unichip last because it will be mapped to all your other mods.

Nope, I'd say I'll stop at the K&N Typhoon with cold air feed, TTE back box (which won't make a difference anyway) and finally the Dastek Unichip... If I could afford to go for a sports cat and/or the ludicrously priced free-flow manifold in FenSport, I think I'd stretch to getting a re-map! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links