Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d No Go!

chatman

On the way home from work tonight RAV behaving funny. :blink::blink:

On Motorway at about 65mph put foot down and nothing happened, it was as if the car was sticking not wanting to go any faster (was overtaking a lorry at time), pushed excel all the way down still nothing.... Eased off and returned to normal. even afet a while easing off did nothing.

Was doing this all the way home car would not excel but then all of a sudden would excel on again :blink::blink:

RAV4 is MKII D4D.. Thought it might be some bad Diesel I have brought or may be something sticking in the Turbo....Any one got any ideas!!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chatman

• Webbo

• diffman

• ackers

Top Posters In This Topic

On the way home from work tonight RAV behaving funny. :blink:  :blink:

On Motorway at about 65mph put foot down and nothing happened, it was as if the car was sticking not wanting to go any faster (was overtaking a lorry at time), pushed excel all the way down still nothing.... Eased off and returned to normal. even afet a while easing off did nothing.

Was doing this all the way home car would not excel but then all of a sudden would excel on again :blink:  :blink:

RAV4 is MKII D4D.. Thought it might be some bad Diesel I have brought or may be something sticking in the Turbo....Any one got any ideas!!!!

diesel pump scv/spv valve

diesel pump scv/spv valve

Thanks Shutty......... Have car booked into Local garage on Sat...

Report back then on findings and outcome.... Hoepefuly all good news

:thumbsup:

On the way home from work tonight RAV behaving funny. :blink:  :blink:

Was doing this all the way home car would not excel but then all of a sudden would excel on again :blink:  :blink:

Hey this is interesting , been having exactly same probs with my D4D but at about 75mph, it starts jerking as if you're dabbing the throttle, then looses all power, I back off on the throttle to about 50mph and then it'll pick up again! its a bummer when you're overtaking cars and it suddenly happens! Its been to Toyotas for examination, they couldn't find anything wrong, another garage said it was the EGR valve? Sometimes it does it other times its ok, sounds just like your prob, let me know the outcome. Webbo

Hey this is interesting , been having exactly same probs with my D4D but at about 75mph, it starts jerking as if you're dabbing the throttle, then looses all power, I back off on the throttle to about 50mph and then it'll pick up again! its a bummer when you're overtaking cars and it suddenly happens! Its been to Toyotas for examination, they couldn't find anything wrong, another garage said it was the EGR valve? Sometimes it does it other times its ok, sounds just like your prob, let me know the outcome. Webbo

Just got phone call from local garage. Could not find anything amediatly wrong :blink: car was miss behaving on way to see them this morning. Tightened a few screws checked valves and pipes nothing out of the ordanary.... Asked how much I ow them.. Said nothing... Boy I love local garages they will be getting all my service now...Very helpful.

I will see how she goes for a while....Cant do much driving, off the Belfast for a business trip so car will be parked up at airport most of the week.

Due for 50,000 sevice soon so see how it goes until then :D

• 2 weeks later...

On the way home from work tonight RAV behaving funny. :blink::blink:

Was doing this all the way home car would not excel but then all of a sudden would excel on again :blink::blink:

I have had a Rav4 4d4 since new at 7000 miles while overtaking a lorry in the outside lane of a 2 lane motorway the engine lost power and the management system switched to fail safe leaving you doing 30mph in the outside lane and nowhere to go. Very dangerous. This happened 6 or 7 times over the next 14 days during which time Toyota had attempted to fix this many times. the eventual problem came to a head about 3 months later and turned out to be the turbo. No more problems occurred until last night with 17,000 miles on the clock the engine failed 4 times losing power and switching onto fail safe. The only way out of this is to pull into the side of the road, stopping completely, and switching of the ignition and re-starting again when the engine management light goes out and you can continue driving again. This feels like exactly the same problem as before. It is now in the dealers waiting to be fixed.

I will keep you posted.

Diffman :ffs:

I have had a Rav4 4d4 since new at 7000 miles while overtaking a lorry in the outside lane of a 2 lane motorway the engine lost power and the management system switched to fail safe leaving you doing 30mph in the outside lane and nowhere to go. Very dangerous. This happened 6 or 7 times over the next 14 days during which time Toyota had attempted to fix this many times. the eventual problem came to a head about 3 months later and turned out to be the turbo. No more problems occurred until last night with 17,000 miles on the clock the engine failed 4 times losing power and switching onto fail safe. The only way out of this is to pull into the side of the road, stopping completely, and switching of the ignition and re-starting again when the engine management light goes out and you can continue driving again. This feels like exactly the same problem as before. It is now in the dealers waiting to be fixed.

I will keep you posted.

Diffman :ffs:

Hmmm Mine was doing it last week. Took it into garage.. and mechanic came with me for a test drive..RAV behaved all the way no hicup at all (it had been doing it on way to garage) Mine does not loose power as yours does or go to 30mph it just sticks and gives a little power (scary when your overtaking and have no power (like someone holding you back) seems fine over 60mph but you can feel it coming on when you push the pedal down... :wacko:

Have booked it into garage tomorrow for them to have it all day, Mechanic did say it could be the EGR valve noted before in this post...

Will post up on saturday on outcome...... :)

Well got call on Friday when car was in... "Cant get our computer to talk to your car" :blink::blink: they could not get the ecu to talk to the program to show if it had any fault codes showing....

Car has been running fine before the garage visit but I wanted them to check any way.....Just in case.

A week before I put some Slick 50 Fuel treatment in incase I brought some bad diesel from Tesco (place brought before I started to have trouble, wont go there again) :ffs: Car seems to be better and no hicups any more.. will see how it goes :thumbsup:

Due for 50,000 service soon so get it checked agin then...

Finally got Rav back on Monday.Told problem was EVRE valve which was definitely faulty. Car felt great on Monday night but on Tuesday night it started to lose power intermittently again when accelerating. Then on a dual carriageway travelling at 60 m.p.h. it "hunted" mildly twice then the engine management light came on and cut the car to failsafe only this time instead of getting 30 m.p.h. and getting time to pull in it slowed right down to 1-2 m.p.h. leaving me in the outside lane with nowhere to go and no power to get to the inside lane and safety. I had to stop the car in the outside lane ,switch off and restart before I could go again. Deathtrap stuff isn't it? Car back in dealer again. When questioned about this dropping down to 2 m.p.h. garage said it was to do with what fault code comes up. How Toyota thinks that putting a car into a mode that leaves you doing 2 m.p.h from 60 m.p.h. in the space of 100 yards is a good idea, I'll never know. Whoever came up with that idea must have thought that the "free brain giveaway" was too expensive.

You just have no confidence overtaking with this car anymore. Will let you know what bright idea they come up with next. :censor: :ffs:

Finally got Rav back on Monday.Told problem was EVRE valve which was definitely faulty. Car felt great on Monday night but on Tuesday night it started to lose power intermittently again when accelerating. Then on a dual carriageway travelling at 60 m.p.h. it "hunted" mildly twice then the engine management light came on and cut the car to failsafe only this time instead of getting 30 m.p.h. and getting time to pull in it slowed right down to 1-2 m.p.h. leaving me in the outside lane with nowhere to go and no power to get to the inside lane and safety. I had to stop the car in the outside lane ,switch off and restart before I could go again. Deathtrap stuff isn't it? Car back in dealer again. When questioned about this dropping down to 2 m.p.h. garage said it was to do with what fault code comes up. How Toyota thinks that putting a car into a mode that leaves you doing 2 m.p.h from 60 m.p.h. in the space of 100 yards is a good idea, I'll never know. Whoever came up with that idea must have thought that the "free brain giveaway" was too expensive.

You just have no confidence overtaking with this car anymore. Will let you know what bright idea they come up with next. :censor: :ffs:

:eek::eek::eek: BLIMEY...............As part of my journey is on the dreded M25 that happend I would not be here now.....

Mine does not loose power as drastic as yours but just fails to go any faster.... Not been happening as much but might at any time...."When questioned about this dropping down to 2 m.p.h. garage said it was to do with what fault code comes up." this I find hard to believe... scenario..Your car stops in the fast lane you waite for the fault light to come on and BRICK it at the same time.... :eek: :ffs: :eek::help::eek:

Had similar problem in wife's 206cc also in fast lane on A12 a while back and lost all power car is brand new, dash lit up car stopped...luckily not many cars behind at time coasted to side of road :eek: :ffs: :eek: :ffs:

Turned out to be ECU fault disconecting the Battery sorted it (RAC Man very helpful) garage not!!!! not done it since....

Still cant beleive the fault code scenario.....thats down right dangerous....

All I can say is, if you are ever in that situation again ram the clutch in and get the car into neutral. At least you can coast to a controlled stop then hopefully givin you a little more time to get over the lanes.

But yeah, that's a real danger issue! Hope it all turns out for the best.

I should mention that the first time this Rav died on me I was pulling my caravan on the M8 which is a 2 lane motorway. I was in the process of overtaking 3 lorries in a row at a very very busy time . :eek: Only for the fact it failsafed at 30 m.p.h. allowed me the time to get back in to the inside lane and pull on to the hard shoulder. Had this dropped to virtually no power as is happening now I wouldn't be here writing this. :angel: Also one of the times that this has happened I was overtaking on a "B" type road with cars approaching .I am not talking about attempting a dangerous manouver but it certainly turns into one!

Whilst writing this , have had a call from dealer telling me that the problem is the turbo (again!). As I mentioned before I had a new turbo fitted at 10,000 miles when the problem first occured and here we are again. Unusual to need one turbo never mind 2! Won't get the turbo fitted till Monday though as it has to be ordered. That should cure it for another 7000 miles hopefully :jester:

Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

:D Dealer fitted new turbo on monday,car now accelerates from 40 to 75 mph with no problems :thumbsup:

Took RAV into local Mr T today. They do a while you wait clinic. :thumbsup:

Mechanic looked at car spoke to me about symptoms..Came back 20 minutes later with a cup of Diesel :blink: pointed all flacky bits in bottom of cup. Diagnosed as dirty fuel filter.... :thumbsup::thumbsup: changed this and she's back to normal pulling nicely in all gears :thumbsup::thumbsup: top service cost me £48 (labour and parts) place even had a play station to keep me ammused...

Also had a new shape RAV4 in Black XT5 model all the bells and whistles.... Very nice but £££££££££

Not as big as I thought it was (they did have a Land Cruiser parked next to it (MASSIVE) :eek:

:thumbsup: Glad to hear your car is running fine now. Come to think of it, on my first 2 services, which take me about a year each to reach, I was never charged for either a fuel or air filter but judging by the cost of the service it seems I was charged for the air the mechanics breathed whilst doing my service :arrgg-matey:

:thumbsup: Glad to hear your car is running fine now. Come to think of it, on my first 2 services, which take me about a year each to reach, I was never charged for either a fuel or air filter but judging by the cost of the service it seems I was charged for the air the mechanics breathed whilst doing my service :arrgg-matey:

:censor: :censor: ARRRRRRRRR gremlins crept into fuel system again and car back in to Mr T on Monday to fix again hopefully.... :ffs: :ffs: To say I'm ps off is :!Removed!: :!Removed!:

Never bying fuel from Tesco's again........since thats when trouble started.....must be one bit of dirt floating in fuel line some where that's causing all my power problems....

:crybaby::crybaby:

Sorry to hear RAV4 is not right again, :( can be expensive letting MR T guess what is wrong :censor: Hope you get it fixed properly this time as it is no fun when it is not wright. Just back from 3 days with caravan, RAV4 pulled like a dream, :thumbsup: overtaking lorries no problem, I can now here the turbo whine slightly when accelerating, dont remember hearing it before, it is not a diff or transmission whine I should know that as that is my job. saw new RAV4 yesterday, nice :jawdrop: must get one before warranty runs out on old RAV4 in 3 months time

Sorry to hear RAV4 is not right again, :( can be expensive letting MR T guess what is wrong :censor: Hope you get it fixed properly this time as it is no fun when it is not wright. Just back from 3 days with caravan, RAV4 pulled like a dream, :thumbsup: overtaking lorries no problem, I can now here the turbo whine slightly when accelerating, dont remember hearing it before, it is not a diff or transmission whine I should know that as that is my job. saw new RAV4 yesterday, nice :jawdrop: must get one before warranty runs out on old RAV4 in 3 months time

Went in last Monday... Could not find fault again. Fault light came on as well. Diagnosed said Fuel pump.. car very jerky and has no power some times gradually goes along and then it's as if it frees it self and goes again. :crybaby::crybaby:

Back in on Wed and Thur next week to have a good look at fuel system. Car starts well and tick over is fine just cant accelerate away very fast.... Driving me nuts... as journey home is 40 miles M25 and M11 cant over take anything and some even drive slower than me..... and i have an excuse....

Went in last Monday... Could not find fault again. Fault light came on as well. Diagnosed said Fuel pump.. car very jerky and has no power some times gradually goes along and then it's as if it frees it self and goes again. :crybaby::crybaby:

Back in on Wed and Thur next week to have a good look at fuel system. Car starts well and tick over is fine just cant accelerate away very fast.... Driving me nuts... as journey home is 40 miles M25 and M11 cant over take anything and some even drive slower than me..... and i have an excuse....

Well mine has now had a new EGR valve fitted as I was told that was the fault, unfortunately its not that, its still jerky at 65mph+ and still looses power, its now started making a hell of a noise first thing in the mornings, almost like the injectors are lacking of fuel. It goes once its warm Its not the valve clearances as they've been checked and adjusted. And a new fuel filter fitted. Like you its driving me nuts. I feel its something to do with the fuel system, someones told me it could be lack of fuel pressure?????? Anyone got any ideas? noted something about a spv valve earlier in this forum, what is it? and is it easy to fit?

Other than that its a great car.

Webbo

Well mine has now had a new EGR valve fitted as I was told that was the fault, unfortunately its not that, its still jerky at 65mph+ and still looses power, its now started making a hell of a noise first thing in the mornings, almost like the injectors are lacking of fuel. It goes once its warm Its not the valve clearances as they've been checked and adjusted. And a new fuel filter fitted. Like you its driving me nuts. I feel its something to do with the fuel system, someones told me it could be lack of fuel pressure?????? Anyone got any ideas? noted something about a spv valve earlier in this forum, what is it? and is it easy to fit?

Webbo

Its a valve fitted to the diesel pump, We have replaced 3 now for same problem

Remove pump and send to nearest denso agent for them to replace

Dont know how much its costs because they have always been under warranty with Denso

:yes:

Dont know how much its costs because they have always been under warranty with Denso

Thanks Shutty.. I will be taking a copy of this forum to give the mechanic... Must say thay have been very helpfull so far... I'm praying it's not going to be any Turbo problems :eek::eek:

Car runs fine and starts every day with out fault, just dont go fast any more...(well until wed anyway)..

Keep you posted on findings/outcome...

Webbo

Cheers for this, I'm sure it ain't going to be cheap though, specially as mine's out of warranty!! If it clears the fault I'll be more than happy. had a drive of a 6 month old D4D XT3 earlier, the difference in performance compared to mine at the moment is amazing, and it was quieter!! I just hope that changing this valve cures it. I'll keep you posted.

:help::help::help::help::help:

Garage called me back today. Problem is with fuel pump...

£1000 for new part. :eek::eek::jawdrop::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

+ labour to remove and fit new looking close on £1500 :jawdrop:

Were can I get a re-con one or a used one.... Desperate now If I provide the part they will fit it....

Any help and advise will be appreciated....

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links