Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota 1c0 "sterling Silver" Body Color Tonality

Alberto Michelatti

Hi!

Since the presentation of the Avensis '03 I felt a bit "strange" the light champagne tonality of its silver body color (paint code: 1C0), slightly different from the one used on the alloy wheels.

The Corolla '02, for example, has a different silver body color, lighter and very similar to Audi and Mercedes-Benz aluminium tonality. The silver body color of the restyilized Corolla '04, instead, has the same light champagne tonality of the Avensis '03.

3844PB150020.JPG

Left: Millennium Silver Metallic (1C0) - Right: Alpine Silver Metallic (199)

Well, I did some researches and I discovered that this particular tonality of silver corresponds to the commercial variety of silver defined "sterling silver" or "925 silver": it is an alloy composed at 92.5% by silver and at 7.5% by copper. Pure silver is extremely malleable and therefore can easily damage. It also softens over time, even at room temperature. Obviously, in this state silver is useless for jewellery purposes. To avoid the problems of malleability and softening, and thus to increase the life-span of the silver jewellery, other metals are added to the pure silver. The result of this blending process with alloys is a combined silver and alloy substance which is far more resistant to scratching and damage. This alloy is commonly used to make jewels, cutlery and, naturally, coins.

The 1C0 sterling silver color, then, is very similar to the amazing papillon silver heliochrome of the Volkswagen Phaeton. This is a color that varies from pure silver to a very light gold, depending on what angle you view it from, and what the prevailing light is (more informations and photos at http://forums.vwvortex.com).

Moreover I discovered that the 1C0 sterling silver color is used since the beginning by Lexus on all its models.

I like very much this particular color, so modern, elegant and technological, and you?

nofear.gif

Alberto.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I wolud like to explain because for me the white but above all the light grey metallic (silver) are the best choice.

1) the white and the silver metallic are two neutral classical colors that don't suffer the fashions, so you have more possibilities to earn more when you sell your car;

2) with the white, but above all with the silver metallic, the dirt is less noticeable and you can avoid to wash the car also for a month, while with the black and dark colors in general your car will be always dirt and you will have to wash it two times a week, drying it by hand with a cloth;

3) in summer the white and the silver metallic reflect very well the hot sunny light beams and the car is more fresh inside, the air conditioning work less and so the fuel consumption is lower; the opposite happens with black and dark grey;

4) the white and the silver metallic are two bright colors and with sunny light little scratches, dents and notchs are less visible, while with black you will always notice every small defect, also in the twilight.

5) at the twilight a car in black or in dark grey is less visible on the road, because it mix up with grey tarmac, while with white and silver metallic you will never have this problem;

6) the silver metallic is the color that bring out the lines and the design of the car and is the color preferred by the designers to show their concept cars. For example, silver metallic is the preferred color of the italian 21th century designer Giorgetto Giugiaro;

Shortly, I would reccomend firstly silver and secondly white and I would absolutely advice against firstly black and secondly dark grey.

t7_pri06_car_gal_01_800_tcm281-359603.jpg

nofear.gif

Alberto.

P.S.: don't say this to anyone, but this is the untold reason why not to buy a black car...

Shortly, I would reccomend firstly silver and secondly white and I would absolutely advice against firstly black and secondly dark grey.

I hope these advices can help somebody!

Cheers,

Alberto.

SURE WHATEVER YA THINK

.16sep136.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I was intrigued about the secrets of the existing automotive painting types, so I did some researches that I would like to share with you.

I created the following scheme:

- One coat pastel paint:

primer + gloss pastel paint

- Two coats metallic paint:

primer + matt metallic (reflective aluminium flakes) base paint + gloss transparent paint

- Two coats mica paint:

primer + matt mica (semitransparent mica flakes) base paint + gloss transparent paint

- Two coats metallescent paint (exclusive of Lancia):

primer + matt mica+aluminium flakes mixture base paint + gloss transparent paint

- Two coats pearl paint:

primer + matt pearl (semitransparent mica flakes coated with a metallic powder, usually titanium dioxide) base paint + gloss transparent paint

- Three coats mica paint:

primer + matt base paint in the color of the car + matt semitransparent mica (semitransparent mica flakes) midcoat paint + gloss transparent paint

- Three coats pearl paint (iridescent):

primer + matt base paint, usually white + matt semitransparent pearl (semitransparent mica flakes coated with a metallic powder, usually titanium dioxide) midcoat paint + gloss transparent paint

- Multicoat Chromaflair paint (chameleon):

primer + matt base paint, usually black + matt semitransparent Chromaflair (reflective aluminium flakes coated with glassy magnesium fluoride, all coated with a semitransparent chrome layer) midcoat paint, usually five coats + gloss transparent paint

It is interesting to note that pearl paints have pigments that have nothing to do with real pearls, but are made by flakes of mica coated with various metallic powders.

I hope these info can be useful.

Cheers,

Alberto

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links