Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt-4 V's Calibra Turbo

Special Red

Just having some banter with a Calibra Owner and he's going on about weight and aerodynamics but due to my lack of knowledge of GT-4 can anyone give me some ammunition to put him in place.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Special Red

• Bibbs

• Leeky

• daktari

Reliability! :lol: Japanese build quality. Exclusivity, residuals.

Handling, probably aero as well (just cause a car is shaped like a wedge doesn't mean it's areodynamically good). Engine, certainly in stock form, and at the other end of the scale the 3s-ge is bombproof with forged internals.

An ST205 is better in pretty much every way.

Owned 2 ST205's and driven a Calibra 4x4 Turbo...

The Calibra is crap, its badly built - rusts like crazy and the gearbox is crap.

The ST205 is better on everything! 0-60, bhp, top speed, torque, reliability, build quality, noise, vibration, value.

The ST205 is lighter too so ignore what he is talking about and the Gen6 has a much lower drag co efficient than the calibra too.

Lets just face it, he is trying to kid himself that a rusty old vauxhall is a match for a thoroughbred like the st205.

And before he starts to bang on about the 'DTM' version of the Calibra Turbo, that was a very limited run like the st205 wrc and even then it still isnt a match for an st205.

:thumbsup:

Not exactly the best place for an honest, un-biased opinion really...

But, as thats not what your looking for, knock yourself out! :lol:

but the Caibra does have a great CD - 0.26 IIRC...

And just to rub salt into the wound. Ask him how many rallies the calibra has won.... Or even been entered into. :lol::thumbsup:

One thing, I know that calibra's were the most aerodynamic car when there produced so is it a fact that the gt-4 has less drag???

I'd heard that the Calibra isn't a "proper" 4wd system either .. it's only fwd until it loses traction (or something) .. Kinda like a *REALLY* rubbish R32 Skyline then ..

And it's a poxy Vauxhall ..

eh?

the GT4 has more drag, especially if the rear spoiler has those blocks in, i think it knocks 20mph off the top end...

basically, the Celica is more reliable, better handling, and, lets face it, doesnt rust the moment it gets a bit overcast....

I'd heard that the Calibra isn't a "proper" 4wd system either .. it's only fwd until it loses traction (or something) .. Kinda like a *REALLY* rubbish R32 Skyline then ..

And it's a poxy Vauxhall ..

its called a viscous diff - like the new fiat panda has... :lol:

The calibra 4x4 system is a tad fragile too. :yes: Not sure what the CD for the 205 is, but it can certainly overcome it better than GM`s wedgie. :D

the GT4 has more drag, especially if the rear spoiler has those blocks in, i think it knocks 20mph off the top end...

I've got the original brochure for the st205 at home. If i remember correctly depending on the spoiler the drag varies from 0.29 upwards. The higher being with the wrc spoiler.

One thing, I know that calibra's were the most aerodynamic car when there produced so is it a fact that the gt-4 has less drag???

The calibra does have a very low CoD, but that doesn't even mean it has better aerodynamics. :thumbsup:

I agree with you lot but its funny to see how biased both sites are!!! Mind you there is nothing wrong with bias if what your saying is true!

Right then back to the Vaux site I go!!!

Ye your right we are biased. In our heads when we brought these cars we must have justified that the celica is a better car... or we would have brought something else. Although some of the facts suggest the Celica is better i think :unsure:

GT4 = rally monster

Calibra = cheap road car

IMO

Is the calibra turbo slower than a GT4 (both standard)?? GT4 gotta be quicker?

6.5 0-60, 152 top speed IIRC

People have quoted a standard GT4 (jap import) run 0-60 in 5.5 which i have also seen quoted in a Jap mag. :thumbsup:

Its not just performance the GT4 spanks the Calibra on, its handling too.

The calibra is based on a chavalier, thus the handling is not all that great.

The ST205 has the wonderful (although expensive) Superstrut suspension and weight distribution that makes it handle better than any other car i've driven.

I personally would pitch the Calibra Turbo as being competition for the st202 SS3 Celica :lol: Stock they have similar 0-60 and bhp. I'd say the ST205 is way out of the calibra's league B)

It's a tarted cavalier .. it's like saying the Tigra is comparable to the MR2 Turbo .. when infact i's a Corsa coupe ..

The ST205 has the wonderful (although expensive) Superstrut suspension

Sorry, slight side topic. When i took my GT4 to a garage to have a nosie checked out, some mechanic came over and looked at my suspension and said "thats not superstrut". I said that it is as i have just replaced super strut parts on it. He then got moody saying he worked for Toyota for ** years. GT4s all have SS suspension dont they... i am right :unsure:

Im sure it was an option but thought it was standard on Jap models! There was a review on here the other day, let me find it

if it aint adam 1000's of gt4 owners are wrong and only 1 mechanic is correct, ermm. i dont think so somehow.

The mechanic is obviously a plonker.

Its a very big job converting the ss suspension to normal stuff.

And yes, EVERY st205 came with super strut :thumbsup:

Well I think it's all been said really, but just to add my 2p worth.

Most vauxhaull owners seem to think that the 185 was the last gt4 hence their reconning that the calibra turbo is faster, stock for stock the figures are much the same, however even a stock 185 will outclass them in the handling stakes. But show them a 205 and get them to follow you on a nice bit of b road and they go all quite and start muttering about misfires and bad tyres letting them down. :D Says it all really.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links