Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlamp Bulb Replacement Frustration

histman

Hi

I've read some of the excellent guides and advice here but am still can't replace a duff headlamp bulb (passenger side).

I even resorted to trying Halfords and their guy couldn't release the bulb!

He reckoned I have to remove the Battery and air intake to do it.

Local dealer in Derby has quoted me £17 to put in a bulb I bought from them - for early next week.

I've managed to get the block off and the rubber shield out.

It's releasing the clip that holds the bulb in I can't manage.

Will taking the Battery (and anything else) out help?

Mate don't do that! I did it in about 3 mins, you shouldn't have to move anything! Once you take the rubber boots off the back of the headlights you should be able to see the connector, pull it off and hey presto, the bulb should come out of its holder quite easily! I'm pretty sure, but don't quote me, that there is a metal clip holding it in, which you have to ping off to get the bulb out?

Just have a look under the rubber boot, its all pretty easy to work out once you get that off! :thumbsup:

normally if you give the bracket a little squeeze where it pokes out a bit it just pops off to one side and you can get the bulb out

it's a bugger to get to, but easy enough to do again once you've done it.

try taking the drivers side one out so you know what to do to the passenger side one, as a sort of practice, as it's easier to get to.

as for taking the Battery out it's just more time consuming than it's worth.

it's a while since i changed my bulbs so I cannot remember if you pull and twist the piece of metal or just twist it

you don't twist any. you push the bit that sticks out and it pops out

that's it, wasn't sure

I havn't done it for a while

Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.

I've now managed to replace the bulb after a lot of struggle and bleeding knuckles :)

One tip really helped and that was from armoredfist2002. :thumbsup:

I followed his suggestion of taking out the (easier) driver's side bulb first to get an idea of how the whole thing is put together.

Lastly a tip from me - use a small mirror to enable you to see exactly how the clip and the bulb is held in place.

glad you worked it out

Just hope I don't have to change mine to often, as on the back of the pack of bulbs it says they don't last as long as other bulbs

i took out the air intake while doing mine. Takes like 2secs to remove and makes the whole job so much easier!

i was just abou to say was use a mirror. The clips i think go across then down. Pity i was too late to see the post :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links