Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Hid Projector Headlamps...

Pascal

So here we are. I have created my new headlights out of Infiniti Q45 Projectors.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Test fitting. Created a separate wiring harness using relays (The ballast inrush to spark up the arc that lights up the capsule is over 10amp, this can blow a fuse or wear out the stock wiring). I use a full 14GA wiring setup with Bosch heavy duty 30A relay and individual 15A fuser circuits.

orig.jpg

The projectors are mounted to the back of the headlamp housing using 4 holes for bolts. This allows minor rotation adjustment, as well as height and direction. Measure twice, drill once!

orig.jpg

Final fitting. Inner housings painted satin black. Q45 projector painted high-heat bronze color. Also, this is the final fitment of the flasher and side marker trim panels, they are painted satin black to match with the reflector areas left in chrome finish.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This is the back of the headlamp assembly, with the trimmed Q45 D2S bulb holder fitting in the OEM headlamp assembly. Everything looks stock from behind.

orig.jpg

Final setup, reused the OEM weather seal on the D2S connector. The little gray box mounted on the bracket is the HID system's high voltage ignitor. The ballasts are located on the car's firewall, away from water.

orig.jpg

... the end!

orig.jpg

For those who are curious, here is what I've spent on this project. (CAN$)

400$ - Brand new spare OEM headlamps from Toyota

200$ - Junkyard OEM headlamps which I destroyed in my first attempt

500$ - Infiniti Q45 projectors bought on eBay

100$ - Osram D2S OEM bulbs (4100k)

200$ - Matsushita (Infiniti OEM) Ballasts with separate ignitors

100$ - Wiring, Relays, Fuses, Paint and other materials

+ Well over 40 hours of full time work to complete

And the rest of the image gallery can be seen by following this link.

Make sure to use the "Original" format size to view the pics.

There are 32 pictures in there.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/D8F50A1BB952AB0

Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you'd like to know specifics I'll be glad to help.

damn i love them lights. how do you get on with head light alignment?

There's no such thing. The alignment of the projector is done with the 4 machine screws in the back. There's enough room to tweak the up/down, left/right and rotation of the projector, but these are not accessible while the headlamp is mounted on the car... So I've carefully adjusted them once, and now I'm not bothering with them any more. :blink:

I really really want some but i'm awful at this kind of stuff :crybaby:

You really need to start slowly, with a spare set of headlamps. I spent months thinking about what my next step was every time, before cutting or buying stuff...

So, aside from the headlights looking very cool with the 7-lens Infiniti Q45 projectors installed, the main objective of the retrofit and all the money spending was to get the real performance of an OEM system. I am quite happy with the end results.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

holy hell! they rock!

what about hi/lo beam? how does that work? are the light units designated auto use?

Likeing them a lot, the quality looks spot on.

This is a very well executed mod. It is not at once obvious in the day, but when night comes, wow.....

It speaks of understated design skill, superb craftmanship, and possession of much unavailable (at least not readily accessible) knowledge!

A restrained display of immense power! Excellent!

--

Bee.

Thats a great mod, they look awesome.

Not very often you see an effective mod like that done, but that is great, wouldn't have the cahoona's to try it myself.

Well they'll see you or the missus with those lights on. B)

I love the Blade Runner-like photos too!

holy hell! they rock!

what about hi/lo beam? how does that work? are the light units designated auto use?

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated. The light projectors are OEM from the headlamps on an Infiniti Q45, which is called a Nissan Cima in Japan... It's a behemoth of a saloon, not sure you guys have that over there, same size as an S-Class Merc or 7-Series BMW.

The Hi/Lo is gone. I wired the setup to be on when we turn them on, and deactivated the Hi/Lo and flash-to-pass functions. I don't need high beams since we only drive this car in the city, I can't even remember last time I actually used the high beams... if I ever did at all. I wouldn't have sacrificed that function if we had frequently gone on the motorway at night, or backroads, but that's not the case for us.

This is a very well executed mod. It is not at once obvious in the day, but when night comes, wow.....

It speaks of understated design skill, superb craftmanship, and possession of much unavailable (at least not readily accessible) knowledge!

A restrained display of immense power! Excellent!

--

Bee.

Very eloquent comment, I am flattered. Good way to put it though, it's what I had in mind when I designed them. It's obvious these lights aren't the OEM units on the car, but then again they look so clean and integrated that I has everyone second-guessing themselves. Of course they can't be found on eBay, which is also a nice perk in itself. :lol:

exceptional piece of artwork there, im impressed

they look extremely bright too

btw, nice photo's too, you must have an outstanding camera

It's a shame in this country you'd also need head light washers (a HID requirement apparently). And possibly auto leveling adjusters ..

I do like mods like this that actually improve the std option without falling into the "why bother?" bracket.

Nicely done.

:blink: Very impressive.

You must have immense patience and determination to see that one through. You should be proud of what you have achieved there.

exceptional piece of artwork there, im impressed

they look extremely bright too

btw, nice photo's too, you must have an outstanding camera

The camera is a good tool, but it's the photographer who captures the image. ;)

• 3 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links