Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Wheel Hubs (discs)

Shaun Toole

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come the same problem as me? I bought a brand new Corolla Verso in January. It looked beautiful - especially the gorgeous alloys - quite a feature. However, after a few weeks I noticed that the paint on the wheel hubs (part of discs) was starting to flake off and go rusty. This was happening on all 4 wheels and was getting worse and worse. It was very noticable as the spokes on my wheels are quite far apart. I contacted my dealership about this and they didn't seem very interested. I thought that this definately couldn't be right so I contacted Toyota customer services. Within a few days someone from my dealership was on the phone explaining that this does happen but normally after a period of around 12 months. Apparently, Toyota do know about the problem and they always used to immediately sort it out under the new car warranty. Nowadays they are a bit more selective about how many they will sort out under warranty as it is now classed as a "cosmetic" problem. Personally, I find any part of my car that is openly visible and going rusty after a few weeks much more than a "cosmetic" problem. I stood my ground and got all 4 brake discs replaced last week under warranty. My wheels look absolutely wonderful again....but for how long this time ? Anyone else have this happen ?

Shaun

• 1 month later...

Hi,

this is disgusting!

Ive not had this problem befor on toyota cars but sadly this time only have the base model.

What really concerns me is the lack of customer service people get after spending soooo much money.

Dont let them fob you off with warrenty rubbish, ive just taken legal advice on my car which has been back 4 times now and they seem unable to sort and im entitled to a like for like car or refund less resonable mileage.

Hope the prob does not happen again for you.

• 2 months later...

I have a May 06 and the same problem is occurring already. Local dealer says it is now Toyota Policy not to replace as you say they claim is purely cosmetic.

How are your hubs now ? Are they heading the same way or of improved quality ?

I may take it further..if the replacements are better

Cheers

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come the same problem as me? I bought a brand new Corolla Verso in January. It looked beautiful - especially the gorgeous alloys - quite a feature. However, after a few weeks I noticed that the paint on the wheel hubs (part of discs) was starting to flake off and go rusty. This was happening on all 4 wheels and was getting worse and worse. It was very noticable as the spokes on my wheels are quite far apart. I contacted my dealership about this and they didn't seem very interested. I thought that this definately couldn't be right so I contacted Toyota customer services. Within a few days someone from my dealership was on the phone explaining that this does happen but normally after a period of around 12 months. Apparently, Toyota do know about the problem and they always used to immediately sort it out under the new car warranty. Nowadays they are a bit more selective about how many they will sort out under warranty as it is now classed as a "cosmetic" problem. Personally, I find any part of my car that is openly visible and going rusty after a few weeks much more than a "cosmetic" problem. I stood my ground and got all 4 brake discs replaced last week under warranty. My wheels look absolutely wonderful again....but for how long this time ? Anyone else have this happen ?

Shaun

This is a common problem on a lot of cars. There was a small amount of rust when I bought mine from new.

Having them sprayed or paint them with some Hammerite will solve the issue.

I now look at cars wheels and see it’s not just Toyotas that suffer, some look dreadful and obviously neglected, even the brake callipers look corroded on a lot of Fords :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I had exactly the same issue with my new TR D4-D. Vehicle was registered end of July 06. After 3 weeks & less than 500 miles, the disc hubs were showing substantial patchy rust. I emailed pics of it to Toyota Cambridge. They didn't query the issue, the car went in yesterday and they sprayed them with silver Hammerite. I'm sure this happens to nearly all vehicles. It's just that these particular wheels expose that part of the hubs. They will tend to rust as the hub is made of cast iron which gets very hot under braking. I totally agree with you however that if the part is on show, it should be finished to a presentable standard. To be told it is "cosmetic" is not acceptable. A guy at Toyota who was there when I collected the car said that often new vehicles arrive like it. I would imagine in the future that the fix for the situation will be that a different wheel is selected that hides the hubs. Other than that, in all other respects the TR is blooming fantastic!

Phil

Hi,

Shaun

Hi, it's me again and I've got an update. I had my brake drums replaced on the 13th April 2006.......and after about 5 or 6 weeks the same problem happenened again ! I've just booked my Verso in for its 10,000 mile service and raised the issue with my dealer again. I was told that Toyota will only offer to replace the drums once because it is purely "cosmetic". I've been told that I could possibly have them resprayed but the guy on the phone said it would probably happen again. Apparently my dealership gets loads of complaints about the same problem. Toyota have apparently told them that they've looked into it and it's a problem that only happens in this country - something to do with what is put on the roads etc etc :eek: Yeah, right !

My dealer said that they'd make another note of my complaint and would pass it on.

I'd be interested to know if the hammerite respray does actually work though. Perhaps this is a problem that does happen to all cars, but what makes it more noticeable is the design of the alloy wheels as the spokes go right to the centre of the hub and expose the brake drum. If Toyota knew/knows about this problem then they shouldn't be putting those types of alloy wheels on the cars - come up with something that doesn't expose the drum ! :ffs:

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

my husband says his are rusty on his polo and apparently its due to the salt put on our roads during winter.

not sure my-self but there you go!

• 2 months later...

Hi Shaun,

my husband says his are rusty on his polo and apparently its due to the salt put on our roads during winter.

not sure my-self but there you go!

Lorna,

This is what Toyota told me - "It's what is put on the UK roads". Find that hard to believe though because when I had my drums replaced they went rusty again about 5 weeks later when the gritters had long since stopped going out ! It's bad design. If they're going to go rusty then they shouldn't be on show.

Shaun

I agree I think it's a design flaw too. My hubs went rusty the day I got the car!

Toyota just today sprayed them with rust proof paint - black but it looks much better. I was undecided whether to have it done but pleased I did. They told me this can only be done within the first 6 months because it's considered cosmetic. This black paint they use he said is being used on new Lexuses now (should that be Lexi?!) and is meant to be pretty tough - we'll see.

You can see before and after here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gidon.reid/VersoHubs

Cheers

Gidon

I agree I think it's a design flaw too. My hubs went rusty the day I got the car!

Toyota just today sprayed them with rust proof paint - black but it looks much better. I was undecided whether to have it done but pleased I did. They told me this can only be done within the first 6 months because it's considered cosmetic. This black paint they use he said is being used on new Lexuses now (should that be Lexi?!) and is meant to be pretty tough - we'll see.

You can see before and after here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gidon.reid/VersoHubs

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon,

Black actually looks quite smart. No doubt if the paint does start to deteriorate then it won't look as bad as silver. My Verso's 11 months old now and I've already had the drums replaced once as a "cosmetic fix" - lasted 5 weeks ! Might have another go at Toyota and see if I can get them sprayed like yours.

Shaun

Gidon,

Black actually looks quite smart. No doubt if the paint does start to deteriorate then it won't look as bad as silver. My Verso's 11 months old now and I've already had the drums replaced once as a "cosmetic fix" - lasted 5 weeks ! Might have another go at Toyota and see if I can get them sprayed like yours.

Shaun

I agree - I like the balck too. I hope they agree to do the respray for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Gidon

I think this isn't just a Toyota problem ..... I think it's a new car problem :unsure: !

Mine has it and so does my dads new Seat Leon - I agree that it looks a mess but I guess I have to live with it :(

• 1 year later...
I think this isn't just a Toyota problem ..... I think it's a new car problem :unsure: !

Mine has it and so does my dads new Seat Leon - I agree that it looks a mess but I guess I have to live with it :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links