Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine 'under' Heating?!

celsteve

For the past year or so of celica ownership my temperature gauge has always gotten to the correct (halfway) point within just a few minutes. I've noticed that over the past few days that the needle takes about 20 minutes (even with 10mins of m/way driving) to reach the halfway point.

The only things that have changed are I have had to use bp ultimate for the last full tank rather than Optimax as my local garage is closed for refurb and the oil which was changed during a full service in october to a fully synthetic 5 40. Is it possible the thinness of the oil could have this effect with the warmer weather? I haven't a clue but hopefully someone will. Need to get cambelt done (engine at 57k) and spark plugs but apart from that everything else seems tip-top. It's worrying me slightly as she has run perfectly for over a year, but at least it's better than it over heating!

I'd have thought it would be more of a sensor/guage issue, than the engine actually not getting warm.

I know the stock guages are pretty pants.

Cheers Bibbs, maybe I'll get the belt done asap and have them check it out, unless they are easy enough to check yourself? Hopefully it's something not too expensive as my girlfriend's just given up work!!!

I can't remember my 3S-GE engine, but I'd have thought it would be easy to swap out the sensor and give it a run on a new one (on the GTE, the sensor is just below the rad cap). Got any GE driving mates nearby? I'd hate to think of the cost of a thermostat from Mr T.

The belt could be a DIY job. Unfortunatly I've only owned MR2s, and they are a nightmare to work on.

Can't think why an oil change would make that much difference.

Do the heater still kicks in hot air (that checks the heater matrix is still okay)? I take it there is no HG issues (mayo in the oil cap etc)?

Have you filled the car with water lately?

The belt could be a DIY job. Unfortunatly I've only owned MR2s, and they are a nightmare to work on.

Thik I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're doing!! :)

Can't think why an oil change would make that much difference.

Just trying to give as much info as possible, clutching at straws :D

Have you filled the car with water lately?

Ummm. no -thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Just thinking of when MR2's have played "silly buggers" with the temp guage.

It's either been an air lock somewhere not letting the water flow over the sensor (low temps) .. or the occasional air lock passing the sensor (high temps).

Always better to give more info than less ;) and just trying to logically help.

Heater working fine, no mayo, coolant is on the low line though!! Better sort that out tomorrow! !

change the thermostat . its maybe time for it to die. ??????????

since i got my car the temp never goes above halfway and most of the time it sits at a quarter way ! only if am in traffic or doing a lot of stopping and starting does it reach halfway !

Mine climbs to halfway in a couple of minutes of drive and stays there.

I'd suggest changing the thermostat for starters. I have no experience on changing it on Celica, but it's usually not that difficult.

since i got my car the temp never goes above halfway and most of the time it sits at a quarter way ! only if am in traffic or doing a lot of stopping and starting does it reach halfway !

Mines always upto halfway in about 2-3mins :)

Never comes back down, the turbo keeps things warm :lol:

Without having a turbo I had to have some lead-sole boots tailor-made :lol:

The celica does seem to have a few 'quirks' !! When I first bought mine sometimes on full lock when parking etc I'd get a kind of rubbery squelching sound coming from the steering wheel, but that lasted a few weeks and hasn't reappeared! Occasionally when breaking at slow speed I get a slight knock coming from the rear but not always. The rattles I used to have from the door panels have gone , :) hopefully they wont reappear but I suspect they will.

Cheers for the advice evryone, looks like I'll get a new thermostat then for starters - Is THIS a good price? I know it's only a matter of a tenner or so but hate paying more than I have to even it's only a couple of quid!!!! Any advice on fitting would be great, if someone could put an arrow on one of the pics from this thread to show me where it is then I'll buy you a virtual pint :lol:

All new to this mechanical stuff but I'm learning - before I owned my celica I have never really wanted to look after my cars so well, just drive them till they conk out.

Without having a turbo I had to have some lead-sole boots tailor-made :lol:

:lol::lol: As long as you've done something about it :P

steve the stat is located just under the alternator , i think 3 x 10mm bolts and the top comes off , a new stat with rubber seal is about 18 quid off mr.t

steve the stat is located just under the alternator , i think 3 x 10mm bolts and the top comes off , a new stat with rubber seal is about 18 quid off mr.t

Cheers, will get that sorted pronto :thumbsup:

Bit off-topic but the site used to show the list of members who are online , but now it doesn't. Anyone know if this is to do with my personal board settings or just something which TOC doesn't do anymore. I've tried to find an option somewhere to change it but can't.

Thermolocation.jpg

And i think you`ll find the names thing is something to do with admin playing around trying to resolve a few issues. :thumbsup:

Thanks Dak for the pretty pic , just ordered a thermostat and hope it will resolve the problem. If not then to a garage I go!

Thanks Dak for the pretty pic , just ordered a thermostat and hope it will resolve the problem. If not then to a garage I go!

i had this problem last year, on a run it never went past a quater, only in traffic did temp reach halfway.

and yes it was the thermostat :)

the centre pin had come out of the spring inside keeping it open all the time.

• 1 year later...

I've got an identical situation on my 6th gen - just ordered a thermostat for 10 quid, and will fit it in the next few days - mine appears to be high idling as a result and affecting the mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links