Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearing

PaulT

Could somebody with a Sport do me a favour and tell me what is the indicated speed at 2000rpm in each gear for the petrol version?

My basic Aygo is on the way and when I eventually get to drive it I want to be able to stay within 2000-4000rpm for the first 600-800 miles or so. It won't have the rev counter, so I will need to drive by the speedo.

I tend to select gears by the speedo in my other car anyway, even with a rev counter :wacko:

Paul.

Well . .

1st =10mph

2nd = 20 mph

3rd = 28 mph

4th = 35mph

and 5th I can't remember exactly but I think it was about 42mph

Hi all,

I wonder why PaulT wanted the speeds for 2000 RPM?

I would like to know the speeds at 4000 RPM.

Can anyone oblige? I did ask someone at Toyota but they weren't very helpful. Forums can be better places for real info.

Thanks

Neil

1st =10mph

2nd = 20 mph

3rd = 28 mph

4th = 35mph

and 5th I can't remember exactly but I think it was about 42mph

That's cool, thanks!

I wonder why PaulT wanted the speeds for 2000 RPM?

I would like to know the speeds at 4000 RPM.

It's a linear relationship, twice the revs = twice the speed. Once you know the ratio at one rev point it is easy to get all the rest.

4000 revs in 5th = 84mph.

It confirms my suspicions that Aygo 5th is a bit longer than the CTS 6th, which is 40mph at 2000rpm. That's a nice little engine in the Aygo, pulls pretty well given it's size and weight :thumbsup:

Paul.

Paul - checked again and 5th is just under 45mph - HTH.

BTW - no luggage, just a driver and no air on. Don't know if this would affect things anyway ?

Even better. That is damn clever, as the gearing on my old 1l Yaris was definitely shorter. I guess they have managed to give the three-cylinder engine a bit more grunt, which coupled with the lighter weight of the Aygo makes lower engine revs at motorway speeds.

BTW - no luggage, just a driver and no air on. Don't know if this would affect things anyway ?

Unless you are spinning the wheels in 5th, it shouldn't make any difference ... but I don't know how you drive yours :lol:

Paul.

Even better. That is damn clever, as the gearing on my old 1l Yaris was definitely shorter. I guess they have managed to give the three-cylinder engine a bit more grunt, which coupled with the lighter weight of the Aygo makes lower engine revs at motorway speeds.

Unless you are spinning the wheels in 5th, it shouldn't make any difference ... but I don't know how you drive yours :lol:

Paul.

the gearbox on the aygo is not its strong point! it has a good first gear but then when you put it in 2nd there is a slight hesitation as 2nd is too wide from then on its not bad except that 4th and 5th are nearly unuseable (here that we have no motorways!) i only managed to put it in 4th and just touch 100mph in it , it dont sem to be happy to push harder than that in 4th let alone in 5th!

Just fitted rev counter yesterday ! and i was looking at :

2nd = 22mph

3rd = 30mph

4th = 38mph

5th = 46mph @ 2,000 rpm

Ps i have 195 / 50 / 15 wheels.

The maximum speed in each gear i get on the speedo are:

1st = 33mph

2nd = 62mph

3rd = 90mph

now if you calculate 4th gear according to these readings it should go to :

4th = 114mph

5th = 138mph

I dont think these ratios are good for a 1ltr car! they would be better of on a CTS that can make use of all the gears (fully)!

They could have made 2nd a bit closer to 1st gear and shorten a bit 3rd so 4th gear could be usable up to 6,000rpm and will only leave 5th for criusing! and top speed in 5th should not be more than 115 / 120 mph.

It's a linear relationship, twice the revs = twice the speed. Once you know the ratio at one rev point it is easy to get all the rest.

I don't think it is quite that simple, is it? There is probably an offset caused by the idling rev speed.

The maximum speed in each gear i get on the speedo are:

1st = 33mph

2nd = 62mph

3rd = 90mph

Really? That is very surprising that an Aygo can pull more than 60mph is 2nd - are you sure?

A CTR requires a gear change into 3rd to get to 60 as does my Golf (1.6).

"Honestjohn's" review of the Aygo says:

"The engine isn’t exactly a fire-breather but with maximum torque at 3,600 rpm and very sensible gear ratios you can overtake safely. 2nd is good for more than 50 and 3rd for more than 70. From 3rd you can pop it straight into 5th in normal driving. In fact it changes very neatly from 3rd to 5th, almost as if it was designed to. On the motorway it cruises happily at far greater speeds than are currently allowed, with minimal wind, engine and tyre noise, and doesn’t get blown about."

I don't think it is quite that simple, is it? There is probably an offset caused by the idling rev speed.

No offset---in all gears, zero engine revs = zero mph. Obviously you slip the clutch at low revs as the engine doesn't like that, unlike the electric motor in the Prius :thumbsup:

Really? That is very surprising that an Aygo can pull more than 60mph is 2nd - are you sure?

A CTR requires a gear change into 3rd to get to 60 as does my Golf (1.6).

The CTR has very short gears so it can accelerate quickly and keep the engine revs high where all the power is. The Aygo, Yaris etc. although they don't have much power, have a more even spread across the rev band. That is one of the benefits of vvti.

Plus, the Aygo weighs only 810kg or so. The CTR is very nearly 50% heavier, and has much more drag. The Aygo won't do 0-60 in sub 7sec, but it is still quite drivable because of the flexible engine.

I dont think these ratios are good for a 1ltr car! they would be better of on a CTS that can make use of all the gears (fully)!

They could have made 2nd a bit closer to 1st gear and shorten a bit 3rd so 4th gear could be usable up to 6,000rpm and will only leave 5th for criusing! and top speed in 5th should not be more than 115 / 120 mph.

Longer gears give better fuel economy, less engine noise and make the car easier to drive, as long as the engine has enough torque.

Ok, Toyota could have used a very short box and maybe shaved 1sec or so off the 0-60 time, but this car isn't meant to go quickly. It's a comfy, economical small car!

Maybe somebody will make a different final drive gear and then you can get a racer gearbox, but if you want speed go and spend £7k on an MR2, Celica or Supra instead :D

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links