Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Does Vsc Actually Do?

T-Sport_Jay

How you doing everyone just a quick one. One of me mates from work got a lift up north with got onto chatting about cars........... told him what the cts has then he asked what did the VSC do? Never really thought about it but now i don't actually know. I sort of remember reading a little in the toyota garage but as i was too excited on collecting my car i just remember a picture with puddles and the cts driving through.

SO does anyone know exactly what it does? and does the car use it alot or is it just at the last moment before you stoof it into a wall lol.

Lastly i know what trc control does but when i've watching stuff like top gear they are always going on about taking the trc control off even what conditions are wet. I thought trc control would make you quicker in the wet.

Anyone got any good info cheers

consists of a few things but i will simplify it as much as possible

1. wheel sensors, measuring speed of each wheel

2. steering angle sensor (measures how much steering input you are putting in)

3. piezo gyroscope, this records how much pitch/yaw/roll etc the car is experiencing.

4. electronic VSC brain

basically what happens is when the readings from any of the above 3 do not add up, the VSC thinks the car is out of control and will apply corrective action, this is usually by killing the power and applying brakes to the unloaded wheel(s) in a very fast fashion. by braking the wheels you are effectively tank steering and can recover from situations that most drivers would not be able to.

the above is crude and is a bit of a cut down of my uni vehicle dynamics notes but the principle should apply

hth

sanj

VSC isnt bad, if you learn to use it correctly, it isnt like an lsd though. VSC normally kicks in when you've pushed the car to hard, but if you play around with it, and try building up the speed whilst cornering, without overloading the vsc, you will find that as you approach the limit, it will grab the brakes on the inside wheel, just for a fraction of a second, enough to create a moment of inertia causing the car to corner faster, just dont overload it!.. its a pretty bizzare feeling at first but fun :D

top gear turn there trc so they can get the back ends of the cars they test out, makes them more interesting to watch :thumbsup:

1. wheel sensors, measuring speed of each wheel

2. steering angle sensor (measures how much steering input you are putting in)

3. piezo gyroscope, this records how much pitch/yaw/roll etc the car is experiencing.

4. electronic VSC brain

VSC looks at the inputs from above and decides what to do in 3 possible situations: -

1. Driving along and normally - It does nothing.

2. Understeering - It applies the rear brakes to help put weight on the front tyres to help them grip (stability systems are not great at correcting understeer)

3. Oversteer - It applies brakes to the outside front wheel iirc. (which stability systems are much better at controlling)

Bero

VSC looks at the inputs from above and decides what to do in 3 possible situations: -

1. Driving along and normally - It does nothing.

2. Understeering - It applies the rear brakes to help put weight on the front tyres to help them grip (stability systems are not great at correcting understeer)

3. Oversteer - It applies brakes to the outside front wheel iirc. (which stability systems are much better at controlling)

And as Zuban hinted, if you drive smoothly you can get in a situation where it brakes the front inside wheel thus transferring power to the front outside wheel through the open diff and giving you increased cornering performance.

In that instance it doesn't seem to apply the rear brakes, but you do need to be smooth as you get to the limit of non-assisted cornering.

Paul.

All i know is it stopped me crashing my car when I lost control on Diesel in the winter, every car should have it...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links