Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Silent Yaris Project #1 - Bzzzzz Sound From The Dash

eternity575

Ok.. thats IT!

I have had enough of all the rattles and noises from my baby.. sooo..

I have started working on a project called "silent yaris" every few days, i will post a guide on "how to eliminate X noise"..

i have no special order for that, i just eliminate noises when they are getting on my nerves.

so the first one, is the dashboard noise.. the one that comes when u hit the 3.5k rpm line.

DONT YOU HATE IT???

now some people will say i went overboard on that one, but in a sunny place like Israel, all quik-fixes didnt cure it.

so.. here we go..

(oh i almost forgot.. I wasnt sure if non t-sport got the same problem so i posted it here.. feel free to move it).

Step 1:

open all the screws you see here. those are nasty lil clip-screws but i found a rather doubtable method to open them. just widen them a bit on the bottom part, and pull the screw up. be careful not to break them.

ns1.jpg

just open them all

ns2.jpg

ns3.jpg

Step 2:

Remove the wipers. just pull out the plastic covers and open the bolts with a 12mm ratchet. best way is to pull them up to an upright position (like when your washing the car) so the spring wont interfere with nothing.

Oh.. remember which is right and left.

ns4.jpg

Step 3:

Remove the plastic thingie (lol) pull it out gently (remove the center part by pulling it up) pull the left half of the plastic first.

ns5.jpg

Hey! look what i found! a DENSO wiper motor.. who knew?

ns6.jpg

Step 4:

Clean the window.. CLEAN IT! i even vacummed the area. i dont want anything rattling inside there.

ns7.jpg

Step 5:

Put some foam double sided sticky tape on the window. Dont go over the top line which the plastic covered or youll have nasty stickytape showing.

Pull the tape cover out, and gently push the plastic part into place. there are clips that attach to the window, so you might want to cut the sticky tape there, or struggle with it a bit.

ns8.jpg

Step 6:

Put the wipers back on and screw in those nasty plastic screws.

That all.. now.. youll have one rattle less in your yaris.

Here's a better idea: turn the radio up loud enough to block out the sound of any rattles. It's free & takes less than a second, problem solved. :thumbsup:

Do post a guide when you get the tailgate one

i very infrequently get a noise coming from the roof / top of the tailgate area

doesnt happen often enough to even begin tracking it down... its also quite far away :lol: need to have rear passengers.

you know what i love most about this post...............detailed photos and descriptions......i know exactly what to do know.......if that rattle occurs!

Nice one fella

Great job :thumbsup: the mods need to move this into the how to's and guides :thumbsup:

great guide, and rather amusing too. cheers for making me start my day with a smile :D

Personally I just pulled the edge up and crammed a bit of foam/tape down - worked fine!

As regards the tailgate it took me about 4 atempts with MrT to track it down - in the end it was just the lock needing greased!

This is dam handy as i noticed it now i got the apexi fitted! Now i just gota be bothered to go sort it :P Removing those stupid plastic screws seemed impossible when i fitted front brace so i just grazed my knuckles instead :P clarky's idea sounds a bit better for ease :P

2mins and no hassle - fitted the strut brace the same way as you too Woody ... lifes too short.

Now if you want a challenge - try and fit the rear upper brace on an mr2 - the nuts are well inside the curve of the rear wings ... at least the skin grows back eventually!

Just stick double-sided foam pads down there... 2secs and cured.

Other rattles easily curable:

Door's - Remove flappy plastic on inside of door card and stick with gaffer tape.

Door Speakers - put thin sponge between the speaker and the door card

Dash Speakers - Sticky pads all over the edges where the grill meets the dash

Rear of car - Grease the boot lock

Dashboard - Empty the glovebox!

Seat squeek - Grease the recline mechanism

Squeek from rear seats - lift them outta the way and trim the polystyrene just under them on the sides of the car

General vibrations - turn the sub down

Passenger window - lower it and then put it back up

Anything else - turn the music up!

hey wat induction kit is that btw ?? and is it any good, i had a quick look at the envy one but it seems to me like itll be like the K&N one where it miles out of the way and u cant see it ( not good ) its gotta look good aswell !!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought id give this a go....

I opened my bonnet succesfully...

but them little screws at step 1 killed me...

I think you should write a guide... of how to get them out first...

Ive been on bout 20 minutes... practicalls killed one of the screw... and yet it is no further out

Ive shut my bonnet and ill try again later.... maybe

Lol i tried the same trying to remove them for ages to fit strut brace. Killed a screw completely too. Best bet is to just pry up the edge near the window and stick the foam down in the gap imo!

• 7 months later...

I had a rattling/whistling noise the other day whilst on the motorway. It seemed to be coming from the driver side wing mirror area. All I did was press the driver's window down button once and it suddenly went quiet.

No idea exactly how that solved anything.

• 1 year later...

Hi, suffering from same problem and is really annoying :) The pictures are not showing so cannot understand what i need to do. Please may somebody help me. Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links