Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Light & Diagnostics.

G1DDO

I have got a yellow service light, looks like the shape of an engine, on my dashboard. Is there anyway of getting the fault codes so I can determine the problem??

The light seems to have come on because the oil was very low, I've topped it up and always used good magnetec oil so hopefully nothing seems faulty other than the light being on. It's probably due for it's 60k in the next few months so could if be advising me of this?

On my other car it's got an obdii conector which I use to diagnose faults does the corolla have this? If so where is it and which software can I use?

Regards

Giddo

Not sure where the connector is but have you reset the ECU?

Thanks for replying.

How'd you reset the ecu??? Not do much on this car as it's never caused any problems until now? I am quite handy so should be ok to reset it if you tell me what I need to do.

Not to sure how to do it the correct way on the Corolla but if you take the Battery off for ten minutes that should sort it :thumbsup: !

Someone will probably be along later to tell you the correct way :thumbsup:

When you say the oil was low, how low are we talking?

Low enough to be a concern lol, as always no warning light came up then I was told that the engine light has come on which is when I looked at it and found the oil. It' my mum car which explains why it's never been checked before, the car itself is running fine despite it and has been topped up so I will monitor it for her from now on. Just need to sort/diagnose this light now.

Ok, so presuming it's a ZZ engined type (VVti) then my gut feeling is the reason for the engine check light is low oil pressure to the VVTi system. It's driven off main oil pressure so if oil level is low enough to cause an oil pressure problem it might cause a VVti fault showing off of the ecu

Problem is if it's causing a low oil pressure fault in the VVTi system it may well be causing an oil pressure problem to the bearings and have caused some deeper damage to the engine (difficult to tell without stripping the engine). I'd keep an eye in the fluids very closely for the next couple of weeks/months

regarding the oil level, toyota allows for a litre consumption every thousand miles on the vvti's, so this may not be a problem, though considering the service interval is 10,000miles and the engines take 4 litres, it is well worth keeping an eye on.

as for the light, if it is a vvti then it will be fitted with a dlc3 or euro/obd connector this should be in the drivers footwell somewhere (either inside the fuse box panel or just under the bottom of the dash), if you take it to a toyota garage, the can plug in an intelligence tester and tell you excatly what is wrong with it, from my experiance i would say its probably to do with the o2 sensors, but an intelligence tester will tell you, plus some garages will test it without charging you, but you might wanna check first

while your there it might be worth seeing if there are any service bulletins on engine oil consumption, i seem to remember something about celica engines being replace under warrenty due to oil consumption

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem with the same light illuminating!..i've checked all the fluids and they are fine!...i notice in the corolla handbook that this light illuminates when "there is a problem somewhere in your engine electrical system". This light came on the day after i had a new catalytic converter fitted. Would this be linked?

Hope you can shed somelight on it, Or it's back to toyota lol....

Kev.

The Check engine light will blink several times and than for a few second it won,t and than it begins to blink another several times . THATS the code from where you can look what the problem is ( like 3 blinks and than 2 blinks ---> code 32 )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links