Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daytime Running Lights Avensis T22

Slowtraveler

Hi to all.

Here, in Bulgaria we have accepted new road rules and from fall to spring we must drive with headlights switched on.

Did someone knows how to put 'daylight running lights' on my old Avensis T22 / 1.6VVT-I / 2002.

I suppose Toyota have some pre-fit wiring for this system, and maybe i just must put somewhere relay ?

Any help or wiring diagram in subject matter will be appreciated. :help::help:

Thanks in advance and cheers from Bulgaria :cheers::thumbsup:

P.S. apollogize for my bad english :oops:

P.S. apollogize for my bad english :oops:

Welcome to the forum.

No need to apologise, many English people are far far worse :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question though - hopefully someone will!

It can be done, and quite simply as well, although the explanation won't be.

It is a matter of bypassing the headlight switch so that the lights come on with the ignition in the "ON" position.

You will need:

• 2 standard automotive relays
  • assorted pieces of wire (preferably of different colours)
  • multimeter (to test which wires do what), or a test light
  • soldering iron and solder
  • electrical tape (to shield soldering joints once finished)
  • paper masking tape or labels (to label wires)

1. Make sure car is in Neutral or Park, and the handbrake is on.
  2. Remove the cover around the steering column.
    This will expose the wires for both the ignition switch and the headlight switch.
  3. On the end of the ignition switch, using the multimeter or test light, label the various wires for what they do. There should be 4: Power constantly, power when key at "ACC", power when key at "ON", power when key at "START" (you shouldn't need to do the last one as it should be the only one left)
  4. Here's a difficult one. There will be a lot of plugs with a lot of wires coming out from the wiper/indicator/headlight switches.
  5. Turn your headlight switch to "Parker".
  6. Using the multimeter or testlight, probe the various wires until you find the wire that now has power & label it
  7. Now turn your headlights on, and repeat.
  8. Now to hooking up the wires
  9. It may be best to simply push the exposed ends of the wires into the various plugs until you are sure it works properly
  10. Hook up 2 wires from the Ignition Switch permanent power to both relays (pin labelled 30)
  11. hook up a wire from the pin labelled 87 (one relay to the "Parker" wire and the other to the "headlight on" wire)
  12. hook up 2 wires from the ignition switch "Ignition on" to both relays (pin labelled 85)
  13. lastly hook up 2 wires from the relay pin 86 to a bolt on the car which is earthed out (a good one will be where the steering column is bolted on, or look for where Toyota has attached wires in the same way)
  14. test by turning your ignition to on. You headlights & parkers should now turn on without the headlight switch. With the ignition off, you should also still be able to turn your lights on & off as before
  15. solder the wires & tape up the joints so that no wire is exposed
  16. reattach the cover around the steering column

There are several traps here (mainly with finding the headlight wires)

Because the headlight switch is where it is, the wires either side of the switch will get power when you turn the headlights on, so you need to find the right one.

Thanks for detailed explanation wagonist :thumbsup:

The only thing which i dont want to do is to cut original wiring harness. Mainly, because i want to make it revertable in original shape in spring/authumn period.

I understand that i can put a switch before relays, which i can command to power on lights directly from '+' or via standart dash light switch, but anyway i must cut inside collumn board....

But i saw Toyota TSB, about different problem and i understand, that Toyota is thinking ahead for such problems (for example toyota have hidden connectors in some wires, thus you dont need to cut wire, but only to unplug it and to put between additional device).

Thus i expect Toyota to have all these wires you mentioned to be already exposed somewhere in fuse box, or relay box and toyota to have there empty space for 'missed relay' or 'missed black box' with diode inside, which i can put in place in relay box.........

For this setup, you don't cut any of your original wires, you are simply running extra wires off them.

Therefore, if you do want to revert to the factory setup, you simply cut off the extra wires & re-tape up the joints.

You are right - i can put a switch on Ignition wire before relay and thus i can switch off this feature when i want...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links