Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Set Of Tyres For My Aygo

benchan

My Aygo's tyres are worn out now and I'm looking for a new set - any suggestion?

I want something that will provide better grip than the original ones that were fitted. I'm not too concerned about the fuel savings though.

Cheers

Mind if i ask how many miles you had out of the tyres. From experience with my old car, Dunlop tyres tend to last, Bridgestone give good grip but go in no time. Try online prices, e.g.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Hope this gives you some ideas

I just had 2 front tyres replaced, £58 fitted, there Matador. Seem alright, good grip.

Mind if i ask how many miles you had out of the tyres. From experience with my old car, Dunlop tyres tend to last, Bridgestone give good grip but go in no time. Try online prices, e.g.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Hope this gives you some ideas

I've done about 16Kmiles on them - swapped front and read at around 9K mark.

It's just that the car's so light when I step too much on the gas in 1st I burn the front tyres!

I looked at mytyres.co.uk - there seem to only have winter or summer but not all season tyres? Is it not good to use winter tyres in summer and vice versa?

I looked at mytyres.co.uk - there seem to only have winter or summer but not all season tyres? Is it not good to use winter tyres in summer and vice versa?

I think summer tyres are all season...

Just had all 4 changed on mine. Front 2 were worn, rear right had a slash in it and rear left had a nail in it (someone trying to tell me something?!)

Anyway. Got 165 instead of 155 Bridestones for £140.

I'm just coming up to 20 000 and still have plenty left on my OEM tyres - you guys must be pushing them !

• 1 month later...

I just had 2 front tyres replaced, £58 fitted, there Matador. Seem alright, good grip.

Tyres for this kind of car are relatively cheap even if you go for decent tyres like bridgestones, michelins, yoko etc..

matador are a no-name type of budget brand tyre, you will realise their shortcomings as soon as you drive on a wet/greasy road.

Winter tyres aren't necessary in the UK. Winter tyres have a softer compound to aid grip in wet/greasy conditions but will wear out quicker on dry roads.

Just use 'summer tyres' all year round but go for a decent make rather than some TDF type noname tyre.

Winter tyres aren't necessary in the UK. Winter tyres have a softer compound to aid grip in wet/greasy conditions but will wear out quicker on dry roads.

Even though I don not use Winter-tyres, but drive on "All Seasons" I have

to disagree with you saying to drive on "Summers" all year round.

You're right that the softer compound of "Winters" wears out

faster with hgh enough temperatures, but below 7ºC (about 45F)

the softer coumpound of "Winters" DOES give better grip.

Biggest reason for me to have "All Seasons" is that I don't have

the space to store an extra set of wheels or tyres all year round.

Cost is NOT an item, as with two sets you only drive on one at

a time annd only in the conditions "best" for that specific tyre.

I read somewhere that in the end two sets of A-brand "All Seasons"

will last about as long as a set of "Winters" and "Summers" alternated

every half year or two seasons (spring+summer and fall+winter)...

As all tests show, the original Aygo - Peugeot 107 tyres are not as good as the Michelins.

The Original 155 tyres are a bit a low cost choice, so try the 165/60- R14 Michelins. I've mounted them since I've got the car, and are satisfied with them.

For the look 195 tyres might be great, but take a look at this:

Bit of a scary though now that the weather is so cold and there is ice all over the roads. This is my first winter driving and so far its going horrible!

iv got 195/45/15 tyres on, they arnt big brand tyres so might think about buying some new ones cos every time i seem to pull away im always wheel-spinning same when i take sharp corners too. It horrible if i have to pull away fast cos they just spin and dont grip at all.

Just today i stopped on an ice road and my wheels locked and i skidded forward for like a meter. Dunno if anyone else is finding that the car just dosnt proform in the ice but i didnt think itd be that bad.

Also think sumit is up with my fog lights cos they seem to have sumit behind the glass (seems to be sum sort of cloudy looking liquid or gas or sumit) its probs nout thou.

matty.

About wheels and tyres:

It all depends on what you are looking for.

If the first thing you want is a good looking car, than you can go for alloys, 15-16 inch 195 tyres....

But do NOT forget that larger tyres do NOT increase roadability in all circonstances.

Large tyres are only increasing road-holding on dry tarmac.

On wet tarmac, and under muddy or snow conditions a small tyres gives better road-holding. The small tyres penetrates easier, and evacuates better the water, mud and snow under the tyre.

alloys..., they might look great, but they weight more as the original steel wheels. The more weight on the springs of the suspension, the more inertie, so decrease in road-holding.

Take a look at the C1 Sport..., the original steel wheels painted white, or any other colar might be a good looking alternative...?

165/60-R14 Michelins are just fine I think!

WRC forum: http://wrcrally.multiforum.nl

C1 CUP forum: http://www.forumsvibe.com/c1cup/index.php?mforum=c1cup

Even though I don not use Winter-tyres, but drive on "All Seasons" I have

to disagree with you saying to drive on "Summers" all year round.

You're right that the softer compound of "Winters" wears out

faster with hgh enough temperatures, but below 7ºC (about 45F)

the softer coumpound of "Winters" DOES give better grip.

Biggest reason for me to have "All Seasons" is that I don't have

the space to store an extra set of wheels or tyres all year round.

Cost is NOT an item, as with two sets you only drive on one at

a time annd only in the conditions "best" for that specific tyre.

I read somewhere that in the end two sets of A-brand "All Seasons"

will last about as long as a set of "Winters" and "Summers" alternated

every half year or two seasons (spring+summer and fall+winter)...

Maybe its necessary in the Netherlands... but using summer tyres is fine for the UK weather as its pretty mild.

As all tests show, the original Aygo - Peugeot 107 tyres are not as good as the Michelins.

The Original 155 tyres are a bit a low cost choice, so try the 165/60- R14 Michelins. I've mounted them since I've got the car, and are satisfied with them.

For the look 195 tyres might be great, but take a look at this:

Bit of a scary though now that the weather is so cold and there is ice all over the roads. This is my first winter driving and so far its going horrible!

iv got 195/45/15 tyres on, they arnt big brand tyres so might think about buying some new ones cos every time i seem to pull away im always wheel-spinning same when i take sharp corners too. It horrible if i have to pull away fast cos they just spin and dont grip at all.

Just today i stopped on an ice road and my wheels locked and i skidded forward for like a meter. Dunno if anyone else is finding that the car just dosnt proform in the ice but i didnt think itd be that bad.

Also think sumit is up with my fog lights cos they seem to have sumit behind the glass (seems to be sum sort of cloudy looking liquid or gas or sumit) its probs nout thou.

matty.

About wheels and tyres:

It all depends on what you are looking for.

If the first thing you want is a good looking car, than you can go for alloys, 15-16 inch 195 tyres....

But do NOT forget that larger tyres do NOT increase roadability in all circonstances.

Large tyres are only increasing road-holding on dry tarmac.

On wet tarmac, and under muddy or snow conditions a small tyres gives better road-holding. The small tyres penetrates easier, and evacuates better the water, mud and snow under the tyre.

Alloys..., they might look great, but they weight more as the original steel wheels. The more weight on the springs of the suspension, the more inertie, so decrease in road-holding.

Take a look at the C1 Sport..., the original steel wheels painted white, or any other colar might be a good looking alternative...?

165/60-R14 Michelins are just fine I think!

WRC forum: http://wrcrally.multiforum.nl

C1 CUP forum: http://www.forumsvibe.com/c1cup/index.php?mforum=c1cup

Just to add to what you already said, a lower profile tyre will give less progression and thus less warning as the limit of adhesion is reached, so though you may have more outright grip for the most part, the handling will be more twitchy once you reach and pass the higher limit of the lower profile and wider tyres. Having something like 195s on an Aygo is really over-tyred tbh, will just mean you can drive it flat out pretty much everywhere.

Got a Peugeot 107, it came with Continentals which were good enough, but the fronts were worn at 10k, then 20K, so I paid the extra and got some Michelin(hoping they would last longer) instead and still 155, now hit 27K miles and they only look like they will get to 30K with a great deal of restraint, also the Continentals would let go more predictably and I think had more cornering grip than the Michelins(which to me seems plain weird). Braking seems the same with either.

Getting wider tyres/wheels seems pointless, just means you are carrying more weight(soon learnt not to try overtaking manouvres when the car contains passengers, the time difference taken is just plain scary compared to when the car just has the driver in it :o ) around and more to lug onto the boot if you catch a flat.

Might try something else again next time.

Got a Peugeot 107, it came with Continentals which were good enough, but the fronts were worn at 10k, then 20K, so I paid the extra and got some Michelin(hoping they would last longer) instead and still 155, now hit 27K miles and they only look like they will get to 30K with a great deal of restraint, also the Continentals would let go more predictably and I think had more cornering grip than the Michelins(which to me seems plain weird). Braking seems the same with either.

Getting wider tyres/wheels seems pointless, just means you are carrying more weight(soon learnt not to try overtaking manouvres when the car contains passengers, the time difference taken is just plain scary compared to when the car just has the driver in it :o ) around and more to lug onto the boot if you catch a flat.

Tyres that last longer (michelins) will be a harder compound thus giving less grip. Whilst of course conversely tyres that don't last as long (in this case the continentals) will be a softer compound thus giving more grip. However you do its a compromise, but considering the relative low cost of tyres for this wheelsize, i think i might favour a bit more grip.

Tyres that last longer (michelins) will be a harder compound thus giving less grip. Whilst of course conversely tyres that don't last as long (in this case the continentals) will be a softer compound thus giving more grip. However you do its a compromise, but considering the relative low cost of tyres for this wheelsize, i think i might favour a bit more grip.

Sorry Lauren I did not make myself clear, the Michelins are looking like they are nearly done after 7k and will be lucky if they get past 9k compared to the 10k of the Continentals, and the Michelins also seem to offer poorer grip! Might try some Vredsteins next time, they were good on a VW I use to drive. As you point out tyres of this size are not very expensive.

Nicholas

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a puncture on one of the rears (partly on side - so no repair). Local garage is quoting £42 for a Continental (although having trouble getting this in soon). can get cheaper, but i've always been told not to get a different brand tyre unless you are buying 2 or 4. Opinions please

I've allways been taught that you should have the

same size/type/thread pattern on an axle, so

both rears should be the same and both fronts.

What's on your spare? If it's a Continental, maybe they can put that

on your "regular" rim and throw a cheaper one onto the spare wheel!?

Managed to get a puncture on one of the rears (partly on side - so no repair). Local garage is quoting £42 for a Continental (although having trouble getting this in soon). can get cheaper, but i've always been told not to get a different brand tyre unless you are buying 2 or 4. Opinions please

Best to keep the same tyres on the same axle really.

Just for the record, I went for a set of four Conti Ecocontact 3s for GBP 146 fitted...

Ben

Best to keep the same tyres on the same axle really.

Tyres for this kind of car are relatively cheap even if you go for decent tyres like bridgestones, michelins, yoko etc..

matador are a no-name type of budget brand tyre, you will realise their shortcomings as soon as you drive on a wet/greasy road.

Just use 'summer tyres' all year round but go for a decent make rather than some TDF type noname tyre.

Their completely fine... They are better than the tyres that came with the car

• 1 year later...

Just got a new set of tyres...Bridgestones(155s)...Absolutely brilliant ...Grip is waaaaay better than the screeching Continentals from new...MPG and ride/comfort may be SLIGHTLY reduced but wouldnt go back for anything .Highly recommended (Have been driving performance cars for 15 years plus now so know my tyres and these are possibly in my top 3 most impressive tyres ever)They make quite a loud 'squirming' noise when cornering hard but dont loose an ounce of grip..would happily put up with a bit of a squirm than the (wrong sort of attention attracting screeeeeech of the Contis)Hard pressed to get ABS to activate they are so good at stopping too!

(OK ready steady go the 'holier than thous' with the "You should save the 'skidding' for a race track" comments -Are those guys still round here .I dont post too often just wanted to recommend the tyres)

Just got a new set of tyres...Bridgestones(155s)...Absolutely brilliant ...Grip is waaaaay better than the screeching Continentals from new...MPG and ride/comfort may be SLIGHTLY reduced but wouldnt go back for anything .Highly recommended (Have been driving performance cars for 15 years plus now so know my tyres and these are possibly in my top 3 most impressive tyres ever)They make quite a loud 'squirming' noise when cornering hard but dont loose an ounce of grip..would happily put up with a bit of a squirm than the (wrong sort of attention attracting screeeeeech of the Contis)Hard pressed to get ABS to activate they are so good at stopping too!

(OK ready steady go the 'holier than thous' with the "You should save the 'skidding' for a race track" comments -Are those guys still round here .I dont post too often just wanted to recommend the tyres)

The problem that I have found with Bridgestone is that they tend to wear out rather quickly as they are a softer compound.

True, they certainly stick to the road well and give good handling ....................but they do not last long and are comparatively expensive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links