Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 D4-d 4000 Miles In

bristolmotorspeedway

Just thought I would post a few thoughts on my motor after a couple of months of ownership. It's a diesel 2.2 (150) T3-X rather than the full monty 2.2 diesel in the T180.

The engine has loosened up nicely as the miles have accumulated, and now feels like a (almost) 150bhp car. It now revs very smoothly, in fact exceptionally so for a diesel. It is so smooth that once you are on the move, it really could be a petrol car. Comparing it with my previous petrol Mondeo 1.8, the Toyota engine is far smoother, quieter, and more eager to rev.

Economy has been slightly better than I hoped. I've recorded each fill so far :bookworm: and have had a worst of 46.4mpg and a best of 57mpg - I suspect an underfilled tank for the latter - 53/54 seems more realistic. Overall mpg has been 51.3.

:driving: It drives well, gearbox has now also become very easy to use as it has bedded in. Motorway cruising is always quiet and comfortable, town driving is as relaxing as one could expect - the Avensis really does isolate you in a little bubble of comfort and calm :D . Cruise control is an excellent feature, and is a feature that is well suited to the overall character of the car.

My main criticism of the driving experience would be the short 1st and 2nd gears, although I guess that is to reduce the effect of turbo lag and is probably a characteristic of most 6-speed diesels. Basically, I use 1st to get the car rolling, don't hang around in 2nd, and rely on the 1500rpm+ shove in 3rd. Once in 3rd gear, the car is capable of excellent performance.

No faults have emerged as yet (I would hope not!), although a couple of tiny rattles have existed since day 1.

I would have two real criticisms so far - one I knew about before buying and one I didn't:

- I find the sound quality of the stereo pretty poor, and will probably upgrade the Speakers to try and improve this. It's reproduction of bass sounds is particularly poor.

- No heated windscreen; this is the one I knew about, and was the one feature of the Mondeo I knew I would miss like hell! The sooner all manufacturers are installing these the better, they are a fantastic safety aid and also so damn convenient. A 'clear windscreen' button on the climate control is no substitute...

Anyway, well done if you have got this far through! Overall I am extremely happy with my purchase and certainly have no regrets about choosing an Avensis. If anyone is thinking of buying one, then I heartily recommend it :toast:

Good post thanks Bristol.

I've now had my T180 Tourer for a month and I've covered 4,800 miles :o . The motor is loosening up now and I'm starting to gain the benefit of the 175bhp/400NM.

I did have a small irritating rattle from somewhere around the map reading lights but my local dealer fixed this. Compared to my previous BMW 320d SE Tourer the Toyota seems more quiet and I have to echo Bristol's sentiments about the likeness to a petrol engine. The T180 has used no oil whereas the Beemer would happily gulp it's way through a good litre of oil every 5,000 miles. Also unlike the Beemer I never see black smoke in my rear view mirror either. Fuel consumption seems to be around 42mpg but this is still improving slightly as the miles increase.

The T180 doesn't handle quite like the Beemer but then I didn't expect it to, the ride does seem a little harsh at times on the 17" wheels/low profiles over bumpy road surfaces.

All in all I'm well pleased, nice motor Mr Toyota. :thumbsup:

That's some mileage in a month Shoto! :D

Very interesting to read your comments too, as someone that obviously has to spend a serious amount of time in your car. Exactly like you, I have not had to add a drop of oil and the lack of black smoke in the mirror is nice to see - certain other cars I test drove put out clouds of the stuff.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links