Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

[diy] Adding Boot Light To The Yaris

YarisGLS

This mod is suitable for any Yaris without boot light, or any owners who wants to add a switched supply of 12V at the back of their Yaris.

001.jpg

Please do not copy without permission, any usage of this materials without permission in advance would bind to legal liability. These are only advice and personal assemblies. I shall not be responsible to any damages or injuries for the performance of below instructions. Always seek for advice from professionals when uncertainties arise.

First, gather the parts required, which are:

1x switch

1x DC Socket

1x DC plug

1x 12V Light of your choice

002.jpg

For safety reasons, please disconnect the Battery first.

Fold down the rear seats and unscrew the seat belt nut.

003.jpg

Then remove the rear trim panel…

004.jpg

005.jpg

…and the parcel shelf support panel, note that there are two screw that you will need to unscrew first before pulling the whole panel out.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

(On a side note, now you will see the 2 pin plug that I wondered about its intention. Could it be speaker connections? Boot light Connection? Door switch for 5 door Yaris? Or ABS connection of fitted?)

009.jpg

010.jpg

Now, take the parcel shelf support panel and the parcel shelf home and work on it.

011.jpg

Simulate the opening and closing action of the parcel shelf on the parcel shelf support panel and determine the best place to place the DC socket. I would say the optimum place would be 8cm from the “front” and 1.5cm from the “bottom”

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Make a hole for the switch, and solder wires to the DC socket. Then attach them the panel.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Now attach your light, wires and DC Plug to the parcel shelf. I have used screws sprayed in matt black to make the finish looks stealth.

020.jpg

021.jpg

Back out to the car now, attach a wire to the positive terminal of the Battery and feed the wire to the interior of the car under the passenger footwell.

022.jpg

Feed the wire under the trim panels, along the foot step panels and to the back of the car. Cable tie them to secure places so that the wire won’t rattle when driving.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

Secure a wire from the chassis as the negative terminal, and connect all the connections to the parcel shelf support panel. Attach the panel back to the car, and don’t’ forget the two screws!

026.jpg

027.jpg

005.jpg

Attach the parcel shelf and connect the DC plug to the socket. Turn on the switch and see if it works. And at the same time, move the parcel shelf up and down and see if the wire catches. If not, you are very close to completion!

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

Now take the Rear trim panel and make sure all the push screw are attached to the panel (if they are stuck at the car body, pull the out and attach them to the panel). Reattach the panel and secure all screw points.

032.jpg

004.jpg

Screw the seat belt nut back in, and torque it up to the correct rating.

003.jpg

Now, enjoy the night with a boot light!!!

001.jpg

Hints:

When you have got all the panels removed, it would be wise to take your rear lights out for a good clean, as well as checking if the seals are still water tight.

035.jpg

036.jpg

Very good guide there! Handy but a lot of work when i have a torch on my phone and there is a light on the back of my sub anyway! Tbh i usually just bung stuff in the back seats! Also how messy where the lights when you took them off? Mine were soooooo filthy! Lotsa work there though man and kudos to you :)

Very good guide there! Handy but a lot of work when i have a torch on my phone and there is a light on the back of my sub anyway! Tbh i usually just bung stuff in the back seats! Also how messy where the lights when you took them off? Mine were soooooo filthy! Lotsa work there though man and kudos to you :)

Yea, there is in deed a fair bit of work, but during the process, you find out a lot more about the car, and gives you chance to recover the loose change you lost when you had them in your pockets! :D

My rear lights were so filthy too! And I discover that there is a bit of water leaking through, and I will get some silicon seal to get it right next week. :thumbsup:

Glad you find the guide good, Thanks! :lol:

Ooo yeah meant to ask, did you find out that the connector there was a 12V supply? Do you know where it came from? (i.e. i guess not straight from Battery?) Do you know if it switches on when doors opened? or when boot opened? (i doubt this) Cheers again!

Ooo yeah meant to ask, did you find out that the connector there was a 12V supply? Do you know where it came from? (i.e. i guess not straight from battery?) Do you know if it switches on when doors opened? or when boot opened? (i doubt this) Cheers again!

The connection came from somewhere under the central dash (i.e. where the headunit is), but I didn't find out what it is before slamming all the panels back together, as I was rushing to pick up my girlfriend and her friends at the time of completion.

But from the location of it, I guess it should be the door switch connection for a 5 door Yaris.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Ooo yeah meant to ask, did you find out that the connector there was a 12V supply? Do you know where it came from? (i.e. i guess not straight from battery?) Do you know if it switches on when doors opened? or when boot opened? (i doubt this) Cheers again!

The connection came from somewhere under the central dash (i.e. where the headunit is), but I didn't find out what it is before slamming all the panels back together, as I was rushing to pick up my girlfriend and her friends at the time of completion.

But from the location of it, I guess it should be the door switch connection for a 5 door Yaris.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks! :thumbsup:

I think it's for ABS sensor. Do you have ABS on your car? If so, it will be for an option you do not have on your car.

I would assume 3 & 5 door harnesses are unique so don't think it will be for door switch as they are normally 1 wire anyway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links