Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stubborn Belt!

mikethebike

Can someone advise me on fitting new fanbelt to carina e, its a new belt but it is relucant to go over the pulleys.

I tried putting an old belt on .......and ended up levering it on with a piece of wood..........it ripped the edges of the belt!

I have loosened the alternator bolts etc but it seems about quarter of an inch to short to fit.

hanx in advance.

There are three bolts to consider:

(i) The upper Bolt (head facing the offside) - this is the mounting bolt onto the engine.

(ii) Lower Locking bolt. (head facing the offside) - This locks the the unit onto the slide arm.

(iii) Lower ADJUSTING bolt (head facing the front of the car). This bolt is used to fix the alternator at a particular angle and for removing/replacing the belt.

To Adjust:- Loosen bolts (i) and (ii) first. THEN adjust (iii).

You will probably find that adjusting (iii) has no effect when turned anti-clockwise. This will only be because the alternator tends to be very stiff on the mounting bolt. Either use some lubricant or a long screw driver as a lever.

Re fitting is simple. Tighten (iii) until the correct tention is obtained. Then lock the unit in place by tightening (i) and (ii).

Good luck

Cheers for that Gazza :thumbsup:

One more ...........the s/pump belt is proving bothersome, there seems to be no give in the pump....ie; when adjuster is loosened and i try levering the pump towards me it wont move.......

I dont want to ruin the belt by going ham fisted at it.......am i missing a bolt or something else hidden?

Many thanks for your help so far! :thumbsup:

You need to be a bit more inventive to do the power steering pump!

I've never had to slacken the pivot arm on the steering pump but it is quite stiff!!

To Slacken

After loosening the lock nut the best way that I've found is by using a rod or bolt placed in the guide bar. (so that its next to the lock nut - but nearer to the bulkhead) A large screwdriver is then used as a lever inbetween this bolt and the lock nut.

To set

To set the pump housing or to create the correct tension, swap the bolt so that is in the guide bar but on the other side of the lock nut (i.e towards the front of the car) - Again a screwdriver can lever the assembly to a point where the belt tension is correct.

Hope that makes sense??

Mike

If it's that stiff you will need to back off the single pivot/mounting bolt. Access for this is alkward and will probably need to be from underneath with the car on a ramp or jack stands. The bolt head faces the off-side and is just below the pulley wheel.

Torque settings for the mounting and locking bolts are 39Nm / 29 lbf

Mike

If it's that stiff you will need to back off the single pivot/mounting bolt. Access for this is alkward and will probably need to be from underneath with the car on a ramp or jack stands. The bolt head faces the off-side and is just below the pulley wheel.

Torque settings for the mounting and locking bolts are 39Nm / 29 lbf

That sounds promising Gazza, will get cracking on it in a few, will let you know how i get on.

If i dont get it this time im gonna burn it! :lol:

Thanks again.

Gazza you are THE man. :thumbsup:

Just finished the job , delayed due to rain.

Worked by torchlight in the rain, anyway you were bang on, once that bolt was undone pump moved freely.

It is quite akward to get to as you said and it was VERY tight, i guess whoever was last at it overtightened it.

Thanks again for your help, which you explained in a better manner than mr haynes! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike -

Of course Haynes Mechanics are working on new cars. Ours have been around the block a few times so things will be a bit different!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links