Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxygen Sensor Replacement

GIDDLEPIN

I recently had a CEL show up on Anne’s Gen 7 Celica and MrT diagnosed it as a fault on the after cat sensor and quoted me £215.49 to repair it.

Needless to say I made my excuses and left.

I posted here a while ago for help and although there were some helpful suggestions there was no physical descriptions of location etc, so I decided to pull stuff apart and try myself.

Once I found the location I set about finding a cheap but reputable replacement part and came across THESE people, the prices were reasonable and delivery was fairly quick (ordered on 24th Nov delivered 29th Nov)

The cost of the sensor was $49.90 with $25.00 for delivery which is £39.86 total, a saving of £175.63 on MrT’s prices!!! :eek:

I took a picture record of what I did and hope it helps anyone who has a similar problem. :thumbsup:

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last Night my light went on, took into the garage today and yep! you've guessed they said both Oxygen sensors needed replacing on my Celica :crybaby:

I too said thank you and walked out after they quoted £170.79 each and £59.95 to fit them!

Thanks Giddlepin for this post, great detail :thumbsup: I knew someone was making money somewhere.

Do i just go on the Walker website and punch in the year and make?

Last Night my light went on, took into the garage today and yep! you've guessed they said both Oxygen sensors needed replacing on my Celica :crybaby:

I too said thank you and walked out after they quoted £170.79 each and £59.95 to fit them!

Thanks Giddlepin for this post, great detail :thumbsup: I knew someone was making money somewhere.

Glad to be of help and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

It's not the Walker web site the link is HERE

You will find that the Walker 250-24200 universal will fit front and rear of cat sensors. You might find postage will be free if the order is over a certain amount (although this could be just for the states :yes: )

Let me know how you get on ;)

Les

Glad to be of help and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

It's not the Walker web site the link is HERE

You will find that the Walker 250-24200 universal will fit front and rear of cat sensors. You might find postage will be free if the order is over a certain amount (although this could be just for the states :yes: )

Let me know how you get on ;)

Les

Cheers Les :thumbsup:

Great that people are around to help, particularly when you know that £170.79 sounds like somebody is thinking you came up on a down train! :wacko:

Yep, will let you know how I get on, probably in the New Year now :D

Enjoy your Christmas, and have fun :D

Irene

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Les

Just as you said, ordering from the web site which you guided me to, I got them in 5 days and with the christmas post!

Having them fitted tomorrow :D

Yep, amazing, a saving in total of £337.95 (including the fitting). Just think of those individuals who blindly pay the garage cos they think there is no alternative :wacko:

Thanks again mate :thumbsup:

Irene

Hi Les

Just as you said, ordering from the web site which you guided me to, I got them in 5 days and with the christmas post!

Having them fitted tomorrow :D

Yep, amazing, a saving in total of £337.95 (including the fitting). Just think of those individuals who blindly pay the garage cos they think there is no alternative :wacko:

Thanks again mate :thumbsup:

Irene

Glad to be of service :yes:

Now treat yourself to something nice with what you have saved ;)

Les

Hi Les

They fitted and the light isn't on brilliant :D

Funny that would love to spend the saved money on a new 'lid' but haven't really got it, but was on the road to spending it out on the car, if I hadn't come across your advice!!!!!!

Thanks once again

Irene ;)

• 1 year later...

I realize this post is for a 205 and you might not know but would this advice also work for replaceing oxugen sensors on a st185? How will i know which needs to be replaced pre or post cat?

no this is on a GEN 7 celica (205 was gen 6)

the gen 4 , 5 ,6 only have one 02 sensor and as far as replacement goes spicing the wires would be the same although the 185 came with1 or 4 wire sensors so you would need to get the correct one

Ok thanks for your help as usual :toast: I have a single wire o2 sensor on my 185 so the connection should be as simple as cutting the old wire and then crimping the new one into the connection or what?

post-54157-1211737170_thumb.jpg

yeah simple as that. check the condition of the connector that is on there, your code may just be down to a faulty connection

Checked the connection on the O2 sensor, it looks steady as far as I can tell because it has been crimped and shrink wrapped ( don't know why there was electrical tape on top of that ). The tip of the O2 sensor look really rusty and has a bit of black ***** on it but I imagine even a new one wouldn't stay looking pretty too for long in the exhaust like that. Have a look at the pics anyone tell me what you think. Gonna try find a pic on the web to compare.

post-54157-1211927625_thumb.jpg

post-54157-1211927710_thumb.jpg

Checked the connection on the O2 sensor, it looks steady as far as I can tell because it has been crimped and shrink wrapped ( don't know why there was electrical tape on top of that ). The tip of the O2 sensor look really rusty and has a bit of black ***** on it but I imagine even a new one wouldn't stay looking pretty too for long in the exhaust like that. Have a look at the pics anyone tell me what you think. Gonna try find a pic on the web to compare.

They look ok to me. I took my Gen 7 lambda sensors out about a month ago and they to were a little rusty but turned out they were working ok(turned out my cat was knackered). you can try giving them a clean with a bit of WD40 and a tooth brush as this will remove some of the corrosion and crap that builds up. That said you can't really see inside them so who knows what condition the internals are in.

changed the fuel filter timing / alternator belts and spark plugs. If the fuel economy doesn't increase i won't be able to afford to keep running it. Next step i will take is just replace the o2 sensor even though you said it looks ok because i got no other ideas...

changed the fuel filter timing / alternator belts and spark plugs. If the fuel economy doesn't increase i won't be able to afford to keep running it. Next step i will take is just replace the o2 sensor even though you said it looks ok because i got no other ideas...

Worth a shot for £50 I suppose. I take it your air filter is clean ? If changing you O2 sensor doesn't work you can try changing your catalytic converter. This normally improves your mpg if the old one was on its way out.

Well ya the air filter is clean, I installed an HKS SMF less than 5k ago. But why would the dirty air filter contribute to a lean fuel mixture and poor mpg? Would it help to just gut out my cat instead of replacing it you think?

Well ya the air filter is clean, I installed an HKS SMF less than 5k ago. But why would the dirty air filter contribute to a lean fuel mixture and poor mpg? Would it help to just gut out my cat instead of replacing it you think?

If your filter was dirty, your engine would struggle to get enougth air so your fuel/air ratio would be out which will give poor perfromance.

What do you mean by gutting it out ? If you know a way of restoring them without replacing them then go for it.

You can also try getting a mobile tunning to have a look at it. if your cat is on its way out your emissions will be rubbish. He will also check your sensors and injectors. Have you tried injector cleaner ?

How bad is your MPG ?

Well when I say gutting it I just mean pulling it out of the engine and stripping out the internals. If there was a problem with the internals then I could just remove them maybe... anyway last time I checked mpg it was like 14mpg highway and it has gotten a bit better but probly only still like 16-17mpg mixed city/highway.

16 MPG s**t, think i'd be in tears lol.

Don't think its possible to replace the internals seperatly mate as its a sealed box. I think you best bet is to get a tuner to take a look. It will only cost about £50 and he can check your emissions, injectors, ecu, all of your sensors ect... all of which could be giving you bad fuel economy.

Or you could sell a kidney LOL.

Actually I think I might have fixed it. I swapped over the fuel filter for a new one and economy is now about 24mpg. Good thing I didn't just rush right into a new sensor and cat.

You said you had already changed the fuel filter, do you think you were given dud one ? You could try and get your money back for it i suppose .

If it has worked then yeah thats a great result as you have prob saved a fair bit of ££££. Just goes to show that new parts don't always work properly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links