Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Key Fob Problem

David20

Hello Everyone,

I have recently bought an Avensis 1.8 GS Auto 2001 (X) model, and have got three keys with the car. Two are Master keys, and one is the grey sub key. The problme is, only one of the master key works. It can start the car and disarm the alarm. The other master key, simply doesn't start the car, and I'm thinking the problem is the programming. It can arm/disarm the car, twithout any problems, its just starting it, which is problematic. I have replaced the Battery and that didn't help either. I understand that there is a procedure which may reprogramme the code.

I would really like to get the second master key to work, because I know if the one goes missing, then I will have to pay alot of money to change the ECU, which is somthing that I really am not willing to do. Any help and advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

I have been looking around the forum, and came across this procedure:

Programming spare keys: for 1998 to 2002

1.. Copy the cuts of the original working key onto the appropriate

transponder blank.

2.. Enter the car and close all of the doors.

3.. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and accelerator pedals.

4.. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.

5.. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, depress and release

the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key. (Depress and release four times for a valet key.)

6.. Within twenty seconds, depress and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key. (Depress and release only times for a valet key.)

7.. Turn the ignition to the "off" position and immediately remove the

key.

8.. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.

9.. Within ten seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.

10.. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

I am not too sure if this will work for my car, and I'm a little hesitant to try, as I don't want anything to happen to the key I already have. Can you confirm that this will work for my car? Also, will this work for the imobiliser part of the key, or just the alarm/central locking. My alarm/central locking already works, so I just need to configure the imobiliser. I understand that the two are seperate, and require different programming procedures.

Sorry for the double posting.

• 11 months later...
Can anyone help me, please?

David, I work for a toyota main dealer, I am "god" I can get you all the info you need, just get me a back scratcher!!! lol

Programming the key fob involves a sequence of opening /closing the door and key insertions. send me a message with you email address, I think the sequence you have is for the US market cars. I realise this post was started a long time ago, but thought i'd see if you still need help

• 11 months later...
Can anyone help me, please?

David, I work for a toyota main dealer, I am "god" I can get you all the info you need, just get me a back scratcher!!! lol

Programming the key fob involves a sequence of opening /closing the door and key insertions. send me a message with you email address, I think the sequence you have is for the US market cars. I realise this post was started a long time ago, but thought i'd see if you still need help

David

I have a wroking key but I also have a second key that I rmeoved the Battery from so that it could replace one of the buttons that had simply fallen apart. The button replacement was easy but afterwards the key fails to either work the ignition or the doors. I gather there is a door/ ignition seqence to follow but I do not kow what it is and there are no Toyota Dealers in the Seychelles islands! I don't have back scratcher but I can send you some coconuts!

Paul Seychelles

Sorry to hijack this thread if its not related, but the fault appears to be very similar.

Neither of my key fobs will work today with my 52 plate avensis GLS (old model)

Batteries in both fobs are fine and the red led lights on the fob when the keys are pressed. Obviously I can open the door with a key but the alarm goes off straight away. The car will start but the alarm sounds for 20 or so seconds then goes off, rearms, and the alarm starts again so cant drive anywhere like this. Is there anything I can do to get the kefobs back talking to the car or at least be able to disable the alarm so I can drive to work or to the dealer. The main fob was working fine yesterday when i used the car on 3 occasions so its not that it has been left for a while or a problem that has gradually got worse just found myself to be unable to disarm the alarm.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

hello all

:(

i've got a similar issue to David20 , i have a grey key and two black keys, recently one of the black keys batterys died so i used the spare, now about two months later the spare black key has stopped working properly, it only locks the car and does not unlock the card, lights flash twice but the central locking only locks the card does not open, i have also noticed that the alarm is not armed either, i have searched the forum for methods of programing the keyfobs but none have worked, i have a avensis w plate year 2000 1.8 gs , any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance,

• 2 years later...

Hi Avenator,

I appreciate it has been some time since your post, but I have exactly the same symptoms as you on a 2000 Avensis GS. The key will lock the door via central locking with the indicators flashing. But it will not unlock, although the indicators still flash and the interior courtesy light comes on. Also my alarm seems to have deactivated as the alarm led is not lit. If I unlock the car with the key, the alarm does not activate.

Did you manage to sort your problem out?

Thanks

ShaksR