Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Banzai Magazine

banzaijoe

Hi everybody,

Just thought you'd like to know that Banzai magazine's next major project car is... (drum roll)... a Toyota Aygo. Yes, I'm running and modifying one for the next year, and it will feature heavily in the Our Cars pages during that time.

The basic premise for this project is to follow what's happening in Japan and show people that small cars are the next big thing. Being a fan of small cars (and if you already know me, a longterm Toyota fan too) I already know it's well worth downsizing, not just for the fun factor but also for the sake of the environment. What a caring bunch we are :rolleyes:

My plan is to turn this city car into a mad little track car. For the Japanese car fans out there, think of a Charade GTti for the 21st Century and you won't be far wrong. I won't reveal too much just yet but you'll definitely want to keep a close eye on the car's progress because – and here's the best bit – I'll be giving it away at the end of the project.

Yes, a modified Aygo to one Banzai reader for free!

Not bad, eh?

Regards,

Joe Clifford

Editor

Banzai

I prosume you will be replacing the current engine for more power around the track?

what engine do you have in mind just out of interest?

something like a startlet turbo engine im sure would be nice, although would it seem right putting an older engine in a newer car.

I prosume you will be replacing the current engine for more power around the track?

what engine do you have in mind just out of interest?

something like a startlet turbo engine im sure would be nice, although would it seem right putting an older engine in a newer car.

Am guessing from his nod to the charade Gtti that he is going to turbo the aygo engine.

You're right, Lauren. I am looking to turbocharge the engine, which is one of the reasons why I got the base model Aygo - no air conditioning paraphenalia to get in the way. Similarly, with no side airbags to worry about, this will make it easier to fit lightweight bucket seats.

Chris: Having already looked into the subject of engine swaps in the Aygo, I think you'll find that it's an immensely difficult job to get an old tech engine to 'talk' with an up-to-date ECU and other electronic parts. Obviously, a standalone ECU will make this possible but I'm trying to achieve something that is attainable for current and potential Aygo buyers.

Sounds like it will be good. I will keep an eye out for the mag :thumbsup:

Paul.

Here's an idea for an engine implant;

We already know that the peugeot 206 1.4 HDI engine will fit into the Aygo engine bay, because the diesel aygo is proof of this. PSA designed this engine to be "plug&play" with the 1.6L version. This translates to the 1.6 16v HDI engine being a prime candidate for a transplant, which would make the Aygo a 110BHP car! :toast:

I think this would be the least technically challenging.

link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine#DLD-416

Although 110bhp sounds good, can you see a Japanese car magazine promoting the use of a Peugeot engine? I'm also not a fan of diesels on track. Low- to mid-range grunt is great for the road but that runs out all too quickly when the engine is asked to sustain higher revs, as it has to on a circuit.

From what I can make out, I reckon we'll be able to get at least 110bhp from turbocharging the original three-pot. Seeing as the 1KR-FE is a proper Japanese lump (made by Daihatsu, incidentally) and the lightest production engine in the world, that fits in better with this pared-down, track-prepared project.

• 4 weeks later...

Well you could always do what I am planning to do and it keeps it Japanese. Puts a Suzuki GSXR in it like this guy put in his smart:

I mean HOLY ****!!!! Plus it beats ferraris. If you want a little track car the gsxr would be the perfect motor. A little aygo with 170+ hp DAMN!!!

I like the idea of keeping the stock engine and turbocharging it.. as i feel it is something that alot of aygo owners would love to do, i would be happy with 100bhp in the aygo, plus you would keep the brilliant 3pot growl!

If this lead to a "mass produced" turbo kit designed for the aygo it would make it relativly affordable to turn any aygo in to a turbo'd nutter.... so banzai...DO IT I SAY!!!

turbo's rock!!!!. nice idea on keeping te stock egine to be fairor itll end up like my rolla, more of a kit car. would be worth doing research into the engine to find out wat performace internals will fit in. that way you can run over the 4-5psi that he std items will run and make the 100 or so bhp easier to attain.

good luck and keep us posted.

I'm still in the process of working out the best way of increasing the 1KR-FE engine's power. Don't worry, I'll let you guys know as soon as possible what the outcome is.

My first thought was indeed to turbocharge it but I'm also joining forces with a couple of companies that are helping me investigate the possibility of running a supercharger instead. There have been many new developments in this field, so look out for my posts here and the full features in Banzai magazine.

By the way, the next issue (which is out on Thursday) has full details and photographs of my first modification - fitting a front strut brace.

I had the pleasure of a ride in a Charade GTti many years ago and it was a phenomenal car which put a huge smile on your face. 0-60 in 7.9 if I remember rightly and a little green light came on when the turbo was spinning! Daihatsu do seem to know how to get the most out of small engines - look at the Sirion Rally 2 that was out a few years ago. Shame they don't seem to be doing that any more. But back on topic, good luck with the Aygo turbo!

Daihatsu do know what they are doing when it comes to engine. I had a YRV turbo for a couple of years, 1.3 turbo with just under 130hp. It was brilliant, very quick and economical too!!

Are there any models in Japan already running a turbo'd version of the engine? Just a thought?!

hmmmmmm.......... how about a 4age it would be nice to have it in the aygo then it'll really fly :)

• 2 months later...

Hi i have the last 2 issues of mag but i have missed what u have done so far!

have u made any progress and turbo/super charger?

i like the way your car is know with lowering springs i have fitted the same on my aygo black

i am ordering the induction kit and exhaust from the 107oc shop next week

what do u have planned next for the car i want to change my seats but want the rears matched

r u planning the same or a one off?

thanks if u can answer any q's for me .

also do u know if peugeot sell the front lip spoilers from the 107 xs as accesories thanks.

• 5 months later...

1.6 HDI? hmmm you need to swap fuel lines as well (if running a petrol) etc etc.

Keep to the ethos- small engine.

I'm going to do some stealth upgrades- its going to look 100% standard and subtely tweak.

Will keep alook out for changes.

Ps. Does the K&N air filter actually make a noteable difference?

1.6 HDI? hmmm you need to swap fuel lines as well (if running a petrol) etc etc.

Keep to the ethos- small engine.

I'm going to do some stealth upgrades- its going to look 100% standard and subtely tweak.

Will keep alook out for changes.

Ps. Does the K&N air filter actually make a noteable difference?

Yes, I think swapping the fuel lines would be a good idea.

Since then, I'd be a little concerned about the gearbox if simply adding a tuning box to the 1.4 diesel: Toyota de-tuned the normally 68bhp 1.4L diesel engine to prolong the life of the gearbox. I remember reading that the gear ratios for first, second and reverse are the same as the petrol version.

At least if a 1.6HDI was transplanted, there is some assurance about the life of the gearbox (if it fits)

ref stealth upgrades, I often thought it would be cool to turn the Toyota Badge at the front of the car into an intake: Simply use a dremmel (or similar) to remove the blanks and hook up a tube to the inlet manifold. Personally, I don't trust performance filters to maintain the level of filtration the manufacturer deems necessary. If anything, I suggest swapping the OEM air filter at half the service interval and getting some Iridium sparkplugs instead.

The 107oc shop sells exhaust manifolds designed for the C1 Cup cars, which have less back pressure that the OEM manifold/Catalytic converter causes.

BanzaiJoe, please Supercharge- would make power beautiful.

Ps. I wonder how much of the cars warranty the engine would invalidate? :lol: B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links