Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Front Discs

rolley

Hey peeps!

Was wondering how hard is it to change the front discs? Any guidance and things to look for and do?

Thanx in advance!

Rolley

I've just ordered some Black Diamond Drilled and Grooved discs for the front along with ebc green stuff pads for both the front and rear from EuroPerformance (rear pads from ebay) and the front discs (EuroPerformance quick code = EP556650) cost me £146 + delivery which I think is a cracking good price.

I'll be printing out Mr Bunny's guide and fitting them in about 2 weeks (off on holiday next week :yahoo: )

Thanx seems pretty simple, will try it in a few weeks.

That is a good price. I phoned up europerformance the other day for the same discs and they gave me a higher price than that. So i went for the Nitrac 12 grooved discs. Was gonna go drilled and grooved but for £20 more i though of that as beer money lol! Plus i don't think i'll see a massive benefit from it as my journeys are short. Got my ebc pads from there as well was £47 for the front. In all cost me £190 for the discs and pads for the front, which i though was good.

:lol:

I think I ended up paying £202 delivered for front discs n pads and got the rear pads for £35 so I can't complain too much.I also bought a tub of copper grease for the job off eBay as well :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right this may seem a really silly question!

But i have just had my discs through. They have the left and right handside stickers on, but which way round is it.

If your sitting in the car near side to the pavement is left right!

But if your looking at the car from square on its the right side of the car!

So how am i suppose to look at it? Sitting in the car or looking at from the front?

thanx people

I know it sounds stupid i'm just having a blond day!

left side is passenger, right side is driver. (i'm assuming right hand drive car here!)

just a tip if you are going to do it, i suggest changing your brake fluid at the same time!

left side is passenger, right side is driver. (i'm assuming right hand drive car here!)

just a tip if you are going to do it, i suggest changing your brake fluid at the same time!

Cool i'll look into that!!!

I was having a very blond day yesterday even my missus took the mick ask a question like this!

Would you believe I got sent an extra set of combi discs for free. I'm waiting a week or so to see if they ask for them back, otherwise I'm open to offers for them :thumbsup:

l used the guide to change my disks and it wasnt a problem at all.

Total time to change the disks about 1.5 Hours, once you have done one the other one takes no time at all.

One think l would say is have a spare wheel bolt to hand (there about £3 from Mr Dealer) because when l was tighting them back on one of them snapped and the bolts are pron to snap on the T-Sport.

l will check which way l put mine in and let you know about which disk goes left/right.

Does anyone know how long the Black Diamond Pads last for ? And are the green stuff pads better?

Does anyone know how long the Black Diamond Pads last for ? And are the green stuff pads better?

I don't know how long they last, but from comments on here, the ebc green stuff ones seem to be rated higher than the black diamond pads. Also I think nrgizerbunny also mentioned the endless pads were very good, but you need to be pretty serious about pads to pay the price of the Endless ones.

gf has endless pads and 3g discs on her yaris and IMO they are the best setup. the endless pads are really good but they are £112 for a yaris!

i've got the black diamond and predator pads and they are fairing up pretty well. The EBC pads resist fade better than the black diamonds IMO. I think I'll get 30-35k out of a set of black diamond discs, the pads i'm not so sure about as I think they are a bit softer than the EBC so kinder to the discs. Obviously all of the above is down to personal opinon but believe me both options are way better than what comes with the car!

have a nice day

sanj

PS I'm glad the guide came in handy to some of you. I'm going to do one for the gearbox oil I think. That seems to be a bone of contention (notchy gear changes).

PS I'm glad the guide came in handy to some of you. I'm going to do one for the gearbox oil I think. That seems to be a bone of contention (notchy gear changes).

It came in very very handy mate :thumbsup::thumbsup: !!!

Cant wait for the next guide, becuase thats the next think im changing on the rolla :D

Slighlty confused now peeps.

After definately working out which side is left and which side is right. I printed off the guide to give me a hand only to find that my disc grooves are the opposite way to nrgizerbunnys.

nrgizerbunnys discs

corollabrakes0025.JPG

my disc

03052007037ha0.jpg

are mine wrong? our are they alright like this?

Yours are 100% WRONG. The idea of the grooves are to let gases escape, if yours is spinning anticlockwise as you look at it, its forcing the gases inwards.

your picture is definitly a right side disc.

Yours are 100% WRONG. The idea of the grooves are to let gases escape, if yours is spinning anticlockwise as you look at it, its forcing the gases inwards.

your picture is definitly a right side disc.

Cool,

Thanx, thought there was something wrong when I asked about which side is left previously. Anyway, going to fit them today, hopefully the weather will stay good as I wouldn't mind painting the calipers too.

Thanx again!

What a day i'm having?

Tried to fit the discs, all went well without a hitch until.....

i discovered one of the sliders on the brake calipers has seized!

Its totally jammed, won't budge. Snapped the bolt on it too, was only trying to see if can work it loose but it didn't happen as i thought.

Tried to get hold of another caliper but it will be next week for a new one. I nearly gave up and found that you can get a slider kit so i'm picking it up tomoz and 4 new bolts. Blooming typical everything was going so well until then!

Anyway any tips on how to free the seized part tho? I've tried dowsing the part in wd40, copper greese but still no budge!

have you got a pic? if not get one of mine and edit it.

corollabrakes0013jb1.jpg

Its the slider section of the caliper. The rubber housing was not in properly, so water had gotten in. Explains why one pad wasn't heavily used because it wasn't touching the disc.

It all sorted now mind. Took me and mate about 15 mins of pulling, pushing, panting and swearing but we finally loosened it off. By using a vice and constantly spraying it with wd40 till it started to loosen off.

Anyway am picking up new sliders (slider kit I think toyota call it) tomorrow morning. I'm replacing all of them as a precaution!

they are guide pins. to get them off do one of the following, just in case anyone else has this problem:

1. what you do is heat the pin, it expands and then as it cools down the rust and stuff break off.

2. alternative is to heat the carrier, and put a cold rag on the pin. either way its pretty crap

3. the final way is to lift the caliper up, take both pads out, put the caliper back down and whack the side of the caliper nearest to you. this will free the pin.

when you put your new pins in, wash the holes out with a jet washer or something, then pack them full of grease and then put the pins in. DO NOT use copper grease in the holes, use something like lithium or multipurpose.

good luck.

they are guide pins. to get them off do one of the following, just in case anyone else has this problem:

1. what you do is heat the pin, it expands and then as it cools down the rust and stuff break off.

2. alternative is to heat the carrier, and put a cold rag on the pin. either way its pretty crap

3. the final way is to lift the caliper up, take both pads out, put the caliper back down and whack the side of the caliper nearest to you. this will free the pin.

when you put your new pins in, wash the holes out with a jet washer or something, then pack them full of grease and then put the pins in. DO NOT use copper grease in the holes, use something like lithium or multipurpose.

good luck.

Aparently it comes with grease in the kit (well so I been told).

It doesn't take long to put the new ones on/in. 30 second job! Yet a whole day trying to get the :censor: thing off! :lol:

Hi all,

A great thread as my t-sport is in need of some discs and pads. Just one concern is the mention of using lithium or multipurpose on any of the brake components. In my mind not a good idea due to heat and the fact it could run out over the friction surfaces. Two greases really, copper grease for non moving component surfaces ( back of pad) and a high temp MOLYBDENUM DISULPHIDE grease for items like the sliders that do not get greased that often and operate at higher temps. Some lithium and multipurpose greases melt at +120c, not that hot!

Hope this helps. I swear by the black stuff if its moving and the copper if its not.

shunt :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links