Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soft Top Care

GIDDLEPIN

Here's how I keep my soft top in good condition using vinyl dressing, there are numerous other products out there but I have used this for the past three years, it's still supple and doesn't look five years old.

Put it on quite liberally if it hasn't been done for a couple of months (or it's the first time you use it).

Slapa028.jpg

Leave the hood loose so that you can get to the hidden parts

Slapa032.jpg

After doing half wipe off with a clean lint free cloth.

Slapa030.jpg

All done

Slapa033.jpg

It's a hot sunny day and this is how it dried (not bad if I don't say my self)

Slapa038.jpg

Don't get rid of the cloth you used for wiping the excess, use it on your trim

Slapa034.jpg

After the trim give your tyres a wipe. (waste not want not)

Slapa036.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Les

Cracking tip (one I never thought of).. leaving the hood loose to get to the hidden bit.. :thumbsup:

Cheers Buddy.. oh!, and a job well done. :)

• 2 weeks later...

jst bought cleaner and protector for my roof.... see how it goes when i get time to do it

• 1 month later...

That looks fantastic Les, a job really well done and good to see you using the product on wheels and trim, nice touch.

• 3 weeks later...

my cleaner stuff i have seems quite good... apart from fact it was a scorchin day when i tried it out tho... was dryin in far too quickly!!!

• 8 months later...

where did you get the vinyl dressing from? Halfords? thanks would be much appreciated we've finally got a sunny day here in devon so bin for a "cruise" and noticed my soft top is in dia need!

steve

where did you get the vinyl dressing from? halfords? thanks would be much appreciated we've finally got a sunny day here in devon so bin for a "cruise" and noticed my soft top is in dia need!

steve

I got the vinyl dressing from eBay but the supplier no longer does it. THIS is the same type of stuff though :thumbsup:

Les...... i have never cleaned mine and the car is 3yrs old.......YES 3 yrs since i joined on here:o :o ...is that shame on you , did i hear you say??????? :wacko::wacko::wacko: ,,actually when i get the hard top taken off,, i must do this boring task :blink::blink::thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the best place to buy this stuff from? I don't have the option of using eBay or internet sale stuff so i need to go and buy it from a shop!!

Some people actually just use cash!! ha :P :D :D

Where is the best place to buy this stuff from? I don't have the option of using ebay or internet sale stuff so i need to go and buy it from a shop!!

Hi Laura

CHEMICAL NAME: VINYL DRESSING

SUPPLIERS: FALCON CAR CARE LTD

REGENT HOUSE

BATH AVENUE

WOLVERHAMPTON WV1 4EG

TEL: 01902 717500

FAX: 10902 717600 :thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the best place to buy this stuff from? I don't have the option of using ebay or internet sale stuff so i need to go and buy it from a shop!!

Hi Laura

CHEMICAL NAME: VINYL DRESSING

SUPPLIERS: FALCON CAR CARE LTD

REGENT HOUSE

BATH AVENUE

WOLVERHAMPTON WV1 4EG

TEL: 01902 717500

FAX: 10902 717600 :thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have far to go then!!! 5 min drive from my house!!!! :lol::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I find Autoglym's Bumper Care excellent.

First wash the hood with soapy water,then rinse and dry.

Apply tiny amounts of the Bumper care with a sponge doing a small section at a time.

You really on need tiny amounts,if you over apply it can run onto the painwork after the the next wash or downpour(not a problem,but would need to be wiped off to keep the car looking good).

Once applied,buff the hood with a clean cloth.

If you are really mean and miserly with the Bumper care it won't run,and it leaves your hood looking like new and feeling supply(restores the colour to original levels).

Good tip about using the cloths to wipe various parts og the car-Bumper care works fine on the outside of the tyres,but I wouldn't use it in the interior as it would be a bit too greasy for that.

Some people also use Autoglym's Vinyl and Rubber Care for their MR2 hoods instead of the Bumper Care.It sounds very similar to the Vinyl care product you describe.

• 4 weeks later...

I dared to visit the local Halfords in order to obtain some autoglym hood cleaner so I could sort out the neglect the previous owners has given the hood. Must say it completly transforms the car, looks like new now, only problem i've had is that after spending a couple of hours tidying the car up last night I awoke this morning to find that a bird has let loose last nights tea right in the middle of the hood. Grrrr.

gallery_59072_580_376322.jpg

That is a nice shiny car :thumbsup: , I always have a soft spot for black roadsters :drool:

Thankyou very much, a lot of hard work went to make it nice and clean - only reason is that water marks on a black car show up something awful so you always need to polish it to make it look nice! They don't tell you that when you buy them!

That is a nice shiny car :thumbsup: , I always have a soft spot for black roadsters :drool:

Thankyou very much, a lot of hard work went to make it nice and clean - only reason is that water marks on a black car show up something awful so you always need to polish it to make it look nice! They don't tell you that when you buy them!

Funny you should say that, I was in two minds whether I got a silver or black one. I really wanted a black, but Hubby said they are a nightmare to keep stunningly clean.

Yours is a great example, elbow grease pays off!!

Funny you should say that, I was in two minds whether I got a silver or black one. I really wanted a black, but Hubby said they are a nightmare to keep stunningly clean.

Yours is a great example, elbow grease pays off!!

Your so kind, there are times you think, is spending 2 hours every couple of weeks cleaning a black car really worth the effort?? - comments like yours answer that question. And the looks of hatred from chavs in their saxos as you poodle past them with the hood down in your little black rockets make it worth it as well. :P

• 1 year later...

I recently ran out of vinyl dressing (mainly because I keep giving it away :rolleyes: ) and the company that supplied the last lot don't exist any more :(

After trolling round eBay I found a seller who did an equivalent product so I bought five litres hoping it was the same.

It arrived the other day and I thought I would do a little demo showing the application and end result, I must say it is as good as the other product even if it is a gay pink colour and smells like a tarts bedroom (not that I have been in one mind :o :lol: ) so here is the video

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Super cool of you to make a video Les!

I have used similar stuf for years and my soft top still looks like new so I thought I would show how easy it was Bob ;)

I did send a link of the video to the vinyl dressing supplier and they thought it was great, so much so that they offered me a choice of any one of their other products F.O.C. :thumbsup: I never did the vid with that intention but it was greatly appreciated by me, I picked something that will benefit those attending JAE (if it arrives in time ;) )

• 1 month later...

I've been using Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care, pretty good stuff. The biggest effect is how supple it makes the roof really. It does go back to black, but doesn't last that long.

• 6 months later...

Looks like a really old post but have watched the video and purchased the pink stuff from ebay. Thanks for the tip :-)

Glad to be of help and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I might run out of mine soon because I use it qiote a lot.....not because I have to but because it smells nice :lol:

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links