Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Starting Problem

esco@briz

My 3 year old D4d Avensis had a starting problem. local independent replaced the glow plugs, but noted that relay does not stay on long enough to heat coils. problem remained! spoke to local toyota workshop who advised there is a known problem with the starter motor wearing out and as a result not being able to turn the engine over fast enough (bizarre that this is only when engine is hot). I have now had the starter motor replaced (part £380) and its cured it. still bizarre however that the relay and glow plugs are not on long enough (i.e. 2 seconds instead of the 8 needed to warm the plug!)

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 year old D4d Avensis had a starting problem. local independent replaced the glow plugs, but noted that relay does not stay on long enough to heat coils. ... still bizarre however that the relay and glow plugs are not on long enough (i.e. 2 seconds instead of the 8 needed to warm the plug!)

The little coil light on my Avensis only stays on for a couple of seconds. I can even start the car as if it was a petrol engine, i.e. simply turn on the starter and up it fires without waiting for the coil to go out.

If glowplugs don't stay on long enough, I once heard suggested that you should switch ignition on until light goes out... then off and on again until light goes out etc, thus giving multiple shots before strating. This practice is used in extremely cold climates (e.g. Russia, not UK!). I also read somewhere that the plugs stay on longer than the light and for a few seconds after the engine starts. So the light doesn't indicate how long the plugs stay on; it only indicates when to start the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links