Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Strange Thing Happened with the Corolla

cfc1

I know this is related to my Corolla but, it could happen to any car I suppose so I have posted in here in the hope of more response.

Ok.. A strange thing happened..,..

While my wife was happily driving along the motorway on her way to work this evening the speedometer dropped to 0 mph and the power steering light came on, the car was still driving fine however, so she pulled onto the hard shoulder and turned it of for a few moments before restarting the car. She told me she still had the problem and turned it off again and phoned me at home. (I don't know if she tried moving the car on the 2nd occasion or if the speedo was working.. but I would say she did)

I drove out to her and we swapped cars, she took the MR2 and I her Corolla.. I drove it to her work and then brought it home (leaving her with the Roadster) I never had any problems except one thing that I noticed... I had the windscreen wipers set at intermittent as there was light rain, and everytime the wiper kicked in (with that familiar "click") and swept over the screen, the speedometer would go from my steady 60mph and flick itself upto 65-70mph and then back to the steady 60mph.

I told my wife this and she had also noticed it prior to it flicking upwards (when the wipers went "click") and instead of dropping to her current speed, it went to 0mph as I described above.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I think it has to be an electrical problem somewhere, but I really have no Idea. I'm going to take it back to Mr. T in the morning and see what they can do.... but any info would be much appreciated.

Right.. I've had a thought... The power steering could have some sort of sensor that adjusts the "strenght" of the power steering depending on the speed the car is going, now, maybe there is a faulty vehicle speed sensor that caused the speedo to read 0mph,(as well as the flickering with the wipers) if there is also a transmission speed sensor, would it be possible that because the transmition is still traveling along at speed (3500 rpm on rev counter) and the speedo reading 0mph that the power steering sensor gets confused as to what the car is doing and then the light comes on?

Is it possibly/probably just a faulty speed or transmission sensor?

C'mon.. where's the techies when yoy want them? :lol:

Not a techie at all.... however it definitely doesnt sound like a very well car - must have been scary for your missus!

Did she lose any power from the car when the speedo dropped?

Cant help you really

but on the bright side if your speedo is not working, it may not be putting miles on your clock :unsure:

so leave it and then when you sell it you'll have less than 100 mile on the clock :lol::lol::lol:

Its bound to be somethng silly Davy, Mr T should sort it for you.

No power loss.. nothing unusual about the way the car was driving in any way. She just done as I said to her.. if a light on the dash comes on, esp a red one.. pull over and stop.

She was perfectly ok and calm... but she seemed to have no idea of the danger she was in whilst waiting on the shoulder (she was out of the way of the car though) I had to give her a few tips on what to do in the event of a motorway breakdown.. like get the car as far to the left as possible even if it means putting it on the grass... kind of stable doors and bolted horses though.

Not a mechanic at all, but I had similar problems a while back in a non Toyota car that was eventually diagnosed as a dodgy/failing alternator........... :ffs:

I think she is after your MR2 Davy ;) :lol:

Hope that you get it sorted out without too much hassle :thumbsup:

Right.. I've had a thought... The power steering could have some sort of sensor that adjusts the "strenght" of the power steering depending on the speed the car is going, now, maybe there is a faulty vehicle speed sensor that caused the speedo to read 0mph,(as well as the flickering with the wipers) if there is also a transmission speed sensor, would it be possible that because the transmition is still traveling along at speed (3500 rpm on rev counter) and the speedo reading 0mph that the power steering sensor gets confused as to what the car is doing and then the light comes on?

Is it possibly/probably just a faulty speed or transmission sensor?

C'mon.. where's the techies when yoy want them? :lol:

That sounds about right Davey :yes:

I remember a problem with one of the trucks in my old workshop it had a similar fault, the only difference being the speedo is tied into a speed limiter so every time it surged the limiter cut in and when it dropped to zero it cut out again (not a good thing while driving). The problem turned out to be a faulty speedo drive sensor... ;)

Hope yours turns out to be something as simple :thumbsup:

Similar problem on my old Cynos - again similar to Paul, it was the Alternator failing.

Get your electrics checked out mate

J

It's going to Mr T in the morning.. fingers crossed its a simple fix.

Just got back from Mr. T's with the car.. they carried out a few tests and found.....

you guessed it... NOTHING!

They said they even contacted TTE in germany to see if they had any previous problems of the same nature, nothing.

So.. we monitor the car and if it happens again, we have to take it back... fingers crossed.

It happened again earlier this evening... no power steering warning light this time, just the speedo going to 0mph.

I have trawled the net tonight for hours, all simillar problems I have found were due to a faulty speed sensor, I mentioned this to the dealer earlier in the week and they still found nothing.

I have also learned that some cars don't have a speedo cable and are instead operated useing "pulses" (whatever that means) but these pulses could be causing the problem with the speedo surging when the wipers are on intermittant.

I also found the following Techical Service Bulletins on an American site....

POWER TRAIN

* TSB #360 -- AN INTERMITTENTLY INOPERATIVE SPEEDOMETER / TACHOMETER CONDITION. *TT (NHTSA ID #616071, NOVEMBER 13 2000)

* TSB #EL00300 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A SLIGHT, INTERMITTENT RESISTANCE TO MOVEMENT OF THE SPEEDOMETER OR TACHOMETER NEEDLE NEAR ZERO DURING THIE FIRST FEW MILES OF TRAVEL. *TT (NHTSA ID #610076, FEBRUARY 11 2000)

STRUCTURE

* TSB #00300R -- SPEEDOMETER / TACHOMETER NEEDLE MOVEMENT. *TT (NHTSA ID #10000662, DECEMBER 13 2002)

These are seemingly known complaints about the Corolla.. the TSB numbers that Toyota will have will be different from the ones listed (toyota don't give out their own numbers) and the NHTSA are responsible for getting manufactures to do product recalls for serious or dangerous faults.. I am informed to mention the NHTSA number and date to the dealer, who should then be able to find out the Toyota TSB number from there and find out what the problems are.

EVERYTHING I have found out about this points to the speed sensor in almost every occasion... so it's back to the dealer tomorrow. :(

Ahem!!! :rolleyes:

That sounds about right Davey :yes:

I remember a problem with one of the trucks in my old workshop it had a similar fault, the only difference being the speedo is tied into a speed limiter so every time it surged the limiter cut in and when it dropped to zero it cut out again (not a good thing while driving). The problem turned out to be a faulty speedo drive sensor... ;)

Hope yours turns out to be something as simple :thumbsup:

Les.. you are one of many who has told me the same thing.. the speed sensor is the fault.. every forum.. every website has said the same... but will these technicians at Toyota listen?.. doesn't look like it, they want to hook the car up to a computer to check for an intermittent problem that isn't CURRENTLY happening.

I have brought it to the attention of the techicians at the dealer (the speed sensor being the possible fault..twice now).. they are going to keep the car for 3 or 4 days to test drive it.. they asked and got permission to take it for a long test drive.

We also had to fight tooth and nail for a courtesy car.. they said they never had any available, it was only after calling Toyota Costomer Services direct and explained that it was a brand new car that they agrred to get us another car... I'm not sure what she got.. all i know is that it's a VAUXHALL :!Removed!:

I am now keeping a full log of what has been said and done just incase there are any further problems down the line, I have also sent an email to TTE to ask their thoughts on the problem.. no reply as yet :(

To be honest Davey, I called in an auto electrician regarding this fault when it first appeared and it was exactly the same intermittent problem as yours :yes: they suspected it was the sender (a new transmitter unit was £650 )but everything always checked out :wacko: They finally traced a broken wire that caused the intermittent fault and eventually knackered the unit. :(

They said they are going to go over the full electric systems of the car.. but surely the nature of the symptoms should be pointing them in a general direction, from that point they should either find the fault or start replacing parts that can cause it.

start replacing parts that can cause it.

You mean like …..

Fault: Loss of power.

Diagnostic report…..No fault found

Replace injectors, still lacking power.

Replace injector pump, still lacking power.

Replace ECU, still lacking power.

Replace engine, still lacking power

Top up fuel tank……Problem solved

I'm not defending any workshops diagnostic or repair skills but the problem can lie in the cheapest or most expensive repair and finding it can be very expensive indeed, fortunately by having warranty the cost won't be borne by you. Having been down this road as a workshop manager (as you are too ;) ) I can see both sides of the situation.

Let's hope it will be a simple and speedy solution :thumbsup:

Les

This must be a very worrying thing for your wife. I know I'd be extremely angry :ffs: . I hope you can get it sorted very soon............... :hug: <<<<<<< to her from me!!!!!

This must be a very worrying thing for your wife. I know I'd be extremely angry :ffs: . I hope you can get it sorted very soon............... :hug: <<<<<<< to her from me!!!!!

Ah you are so affectionate Anne..........................Can I have one?? ;)

Ok steve............... :hug:... but I never knew you were that way inclined :unsure: :P :lol:

Les.. I know they can't just change every part like I said :lol:.. what was I thinking :rolleyes: If only it WAS that easy eh!

Anne.. I will pass on your hugs to Caroline as soon as I finnish with Steve :lol:

As I said earlier, I didn't know what they gave her as a courtesy car, all I knew is that it was a Vauxhaul.. I saw it this morning.. she is now running about in an 07 plate Vauxhall Corsa AUTOMATIC.. she has nearly put herself through the windscreen twice while attempting to change gear :lol::lol:

does it do it when the wipers are on constant (but slow?). I've got a tpsort workshop manual on cd so i'll have a look through that.

As far as I've noticed.. only on intermittent.. and even not every wipe, about 95% though.

I have had some more info from a good friend that not only could it be connected to the speed sensor, but also the voltage regulator on the alternator.. who deceided to make cars so complicated these days anyway?.. time to go back to the 60's :yahoo::toast::lol:

Should be getting a call from the dealer tomorrow night to see how things are going.. problem is.. we haven't had much rain and today has been sunny all day.

Went up to the dealer today.. still no further forward, but the weather has and are getbeen ok the last few days and we need rain to test it in the same conditions.

I contacted TTE and explained the problem and the difficulties we are having finding the fault, they mailed me back...

......I think it makes sense if a technician gets in contact with your dealer and you directly in order to coordinate a suitable date for an " on board check " .........

Hopefully this "on board check" will be able to get us a little further on.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links