Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Rear Discs & Pads

GIDDLEPIN

While having my tyres replaced I noticed the rear discs & pads were getting worn/corroded and as the MOT is due next month I thought it best to replace them to give time for bedding in.

Here again is a picture record of how it was done (showing rust and all) using tools not necessarily recommended by the manufacturer

jack UP

SUPPORT CAR

REMOVE WHEEL

RoadsterRearBrakes006.jpg

REMOVE SLIDER BOLT (12mm RING SPANNER)

RoadsterRearBrakes007.jpg

ONCE BOLT IS REMOVED

PIVOT UP THE PISTON ASSEMBLY AND SLIDE OFF TOP PIN (This can be a little awkward but it is doable)

RoadsterRearBrakes009.jpg

RoadsterRearBrakes010.jpg

YOU CAN NOW REMOVE THE PADS WITH ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS

RoadsterRearBrakes011.jpg

RoadsterRearBrakes012.jpg

REMOVE TOP & BOTTOM CALIPER SUPPORT BOLTS (17mm RING SPANNER)

RoadsterRearBrakes013.jpg

THE OLD DISC CAN NOW BE REMOVED (There are two drawing holes if needed)

RoadsterRearBrakes015.jpg

I USED A "WIND BACK" TOOL PURCHASED FROM Halfords FOR £19

THIS WAS MORE THAN ADEQUATE FOR THE JOB

WHEN DOING THIS REMOVE THE BRAKE RESERVOIR CAP AND DRAIN OFF THE EXCESS FLUID (As shown in the front brake replacement)

RoadsterRearBrakes016.jpg

RoadsterRearBrakes018.jpg

RoadsterRearBrakes019.jpg

AFTER WINDING BACK THE PISTONS

ROTATE THE SLOTS AS IN PICTURE TO ACCOMMODATE DOWEL IN BRAKE PAD

RoadsterRearBrakes020.jpg

CLEAN OFF AND LIGHTLY COAT ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS WITH COPPER GREASE

RoadsterRearBrakes021.jpg

SQUEEZE SPRING CLIPS ON TOP AND BOTTOM OF CARRIER TO LOCATE SLOTS ON PAD NEAREST TO YOU

RoadsterRearBrakes022.jpg

THE REAR PAD JUST SLOTS IN TO CARRIER (Note that I put a nut on the new disc to hold in place while assembling)

RoadsterRearBrakes023.jpg

SLOT THE PISTON ASSEMBLY ON TO SLIDER (Again this is a bit awkward but doable)

RoadsterRearBrakes024.jpg

REPLACE SLIDER BOLT AND JOB IS DONE

RoadsterRearBrakes025.jpg

BEFORE MOVING OFF START THE ENGINE, PRESS HARD ON THE BRAKE PEDAL THREE OR FOUR TIMES THEN APPLY THE HANDBRAKE THREE OR FOUR TIMES (This should take up the adjustment)

Hope this helps

Les

• 2 weeks later...

you have WAAAAAAY to much time on your hands sweetie!

some of us lazy bums and lucky somewhat are getting ours done at the garage... free disks i believe and 70 quid in total for the pads in total for both front and back including fitting....

everybody go green with envy haha

unless your jammier than me of course lol

you have WAAAAAAY to much time on your hands sweetie!

some of us lazy bums and lucky somewhat are getting ours done at the garage... free disks i believe and 70 quid in total for the pads in total for both front and back including fitting....

everybody go green with envy haha

unless your jammier than me of course lol

Mine were done under warranty once.....................Warranty runs out eventually ;)

I'd rather fit the pads myself and put the 70 quid towards food and drink for a party....ok just drink....maybe just make cheese and pineapple on sticks.

You'll learn one of these days Andie!!!

Trouble is they'll have replaced the discs and pads with Toyota parts which will inevitably go the same way 20k miles on. I had my fronts replaced with non-Toyota and the ones they took off were in a shocking state! Will have to do my rears before my next MOT too.

Trouble is they'll have replaced the discs and pads with Toyota parts which will inevitably go the same way 20k miles on. I had my fronts replaced with non-Toyota and the ones they took off were in a shocking state! Will have to do my rears before my next MOT too.

Bring your car and the bits to JAE and I'll fit them for you :thumbsup:

I'd rather fit the pads myself and put the 70 quid towards food and drink for a party....ok just drink....maybe just make cheese and pineapple on sticks.

You'll learn one of these days Andie!!!

just for clarification...

my disks are free... pads are costin 70 odd quid... and fittin is free cause their doin my disks anyways...

so there :rolleyes:

Prices for my pads

Front Pads £19.70

Rear Pads £25.26

Fitting Free

Total £44.96

I beat you :P :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've posted...

Anyway thanks Les for the excellent, illustrated, guide to changing rear brakes/discs - you are a star and may the sun shine on you... 'cause it certainly isn't making a show in Skipton at the moment.

Now, Les, can you please turn your mind to thoughts of how to convert the MK3 into a speedboat...given the amount of rain we've had these past few weeks it could prove a real winner!

:yahoo:

TTFN

Dave

Very nice write up.

And great to see that you included the actual spanner used to do the work; though a separate shot of the spanner on its own would have been nice ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links